April 18, 2014, 09:35:52 PM

Author Topic: Is this site exclusively for teachers?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline hof

• Explorer
Is this site exclusively for teachers?
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
Hi, 
I'm new to Ulsan, staying in Dong-Gu and working at the HHI yard for the next 10 months or so.
Just joined this site in the interest of meeting a few people / soaking up the local sights, sounds and tastes but after reading a few threads it's obvious you guys are all teachers and I don't want to gate-crash the party uninvited.
If it's a teachers-only gig please let me know and I'll slink off quietly never to be heard again....

Offline Ectofuego

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
Re: Is this site exclusively for teachers?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
I don't think anyone would mind what you do, your a foreigner in korea?  Welcome aboard!  I think most of the threads don't pertain to non teachers though
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline JimmyJenkins

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:26:47 PM »
Nope, def not for teachers so welcome. There's a lot of useful stuff about life in Korea in general. I live near Seoul but I like Ulsan a lot, been down there a good few times and you have a good mix of teachers, migrant workers and foreign contractors. Fun city.

Offline Darkeru

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »
Go away!  :P :laugh:

More seriously, most people here are teachers. Some threads are more general for people living in Korea though. As long as you don't spread teacher-hate or something, I doubt it'd be a problem. You should be welcome.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

Offline hof

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcome folks.

I'm an Aussie and probably fit into the category of 'foreign contractor'.  I definately don't harbour any hate against teachers - in fact I still stay in touch with my teacher from Grade 7!

What's the go in Ulsan for a Saturday night out?  I went to Namaskar in old downtown for a feed of Indian last night with a group of workmates, then finished it off with a few pints of Guinness at Early Doors in Dong-gu for St Pat's day.  Didn't over-do it as I had to work today.

Offline JimmyJenkins

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »
This is on tomorrow night in old downtown (I think its the old downtown!) http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=203599022998920&index=1

Think I'll be heading to it as a friend of mine is running the Benchwarmers part of the event, sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!

Offline bern

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
.... then finished it off with a few pints of Guinness at Early Doors in Dong-gu for St Pat's day.  Didn't over-do it as I had to work today.

Haha, did you write that because you read this?

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,5982.msg39824/topicseen.html#new

Welcome to waygook!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:56:34 PM by bern »
Games for Young Learners : www.smalltalkesl.com

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:05:28 PM »
I think that Benchwarmers Pub crawl will be the big thing this weekend. As for Ulsan these days W bar  and Golden Eagles are pretty popular on the weekends. I am taking it that you live in the Foreigners compound in Bangeojin? I miss that place.... been year since I've been out there.

Did you check ulsan online? they've usually give you an idea of what's going on in the events calender. Other than that, poke around facebook and also check out Cima Bar it is also a great place to grab a beer.

Offline hof

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »
.... then finished it off with a few pints of Guinness at Early Doors in Dong-gu for St Pat's day.  Didn't over-do it as I had to work today.

Haha, did you write that because you read this?

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,5982.msg39824/topicseen.html#new

Welcome to waygook!

Ha! Yeah, I did actually.  Not that I'm immune from over doing things at times.....

Offline hof

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »
I think that Benchwarmers Pub crawl will be the big thing this weekend. As for Ulsan these days W bar  and Golden Eagles are pretty popular on the weekends. I am taking it that you live in the Foreigners compound in Bangeojin? I miss that place.... been year since I've been out there.

Did you check ulsan online? they've usually give you an idea of what's going on in the events calender. Other than that, poke around facebook and also check out Cima Bar it is also a great place to grab a beer.

I've had a bit of a poke around Ulsan online.

I'm in an apartment close to the bars on the bottom road such as Early Doors and Cleopatra's, although I haven't had the chance to check many out yet.  Both the Old Foreigners compound and the New Foreigners near the HHI Offshore yard are full, things are very busy at the moment.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Ley_Druid

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 06:21:33 PM »
Hi, 
I'm new to Ulsan, staying in Dong-Gu and working at the HHI yard for the next 10 months or so.
Just joined this site in the interest of meeting a few people / soaking up the local sights, sounds and tastes but after reading a few threads it's obvious you guys are all teachers and I don't want to gate-crash the party uninvited.
If it's a teachers-only gig please let me know and I'll slink off quietly never to be heard again....

No way dude! Working as something other than a teacher scores you even more points! You can bitch about something not class related at work! AWESOME!!! WELCOME!!!

Offline hof

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »
Hi, 

No way dude! Working as something other than a teacher scores you even more points! You can bitch about something not class related at work! AWESOME!!! WELCOME!!!

Alright!  It would be refreshing to talk about a different line of work than what I'm doing.  Could someone please give me straightforward directions for finding Benchwarmers?  I'm hoping the pub crawl is on Saturday night.

Offline grandfromage

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »
Hi, 

Alright!  It would be refreshing to talk about a different line of work than what I'm doing.  Could someone please give me straightforward directions for finding Benchwarmers?  I'm hoping the pub crawl is on Saturday night.

Straightforward directions to Benchwarmers, eh.  Get to old downtown, which is called Shinae or Seongnamdong.  Go toward the center of neon discoland, to the west of Megabox there is a street going north that has a fire station and police.  Keep going north on that road past Mackenzie's until you see Bacchus on a corner.  Turn left, immediately past Bacchus on your right there's a dark alley.  It looks like you're going to get a shiv in the kidney but it's cool, go down the alley and there's a big Benchwarmers sign.  Also probably clouds of smoke pouring out the window.

There's a map of Shinae on Ulsan Online that might be helpful, too.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:53:47 PM by grandfromage »

Offline hof

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
Thanks for the directions.  The map on Ulsan online is pretty handy too.

Offline Yu_Bumsuk

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
I think it would be cool to get opinions and insights from more than just English teachers on this site.

Offline cork_boi

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 03:51:51 AM »
hey the more the merrier in Ulsan..i have finally gotten over my sickness and am heading to benchwarmers for the thing on saturday night...being irish and missing paddys days was a real kick in the nuts so if ur up for it pm r just post back. link on fb http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=137420346328904&index=1  :D

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 04:56:19 AM »
Welcome to Waygook!   8)

The official answer is that waygook is open to ALL expats; actually that's not even true, it's just open to anyone who's interested in what's available on the site or wishes to contribute. However you will find that much of the information is geared towards Lesson Plans and Life in S.Korea :)  The rules are quite simple, and obvious, but to review them you can browse the FAQ section.

We're creating an "International Section", we can perhaps also broaden the discussion section a bit, and I'm willing to take some suggestions. :)  Feel free to PM me or post your suggestions, comments.

You know, I think I need to switch my avatar, it's starting to look really silly.
Carpe PM... ZzzzzZzzz ZzzzZzzz.

Recent Lesson Plans

ESL games for adults by johnny russian
[Today at 08:19:40 PM]

Need some help with materials! by nialloc9
[Today at 07:00:39 PM]

Great preposition activity! by MoneyMike
[Today at 05:14:40 PM]

Easter PPT and Game by luckytourist
[Today at 05:00:18 PM]

American Sign Language: Alphabet by travelinpantsgirl
[Today at 04:53:48 PM]