November 25, 2014, 08:26:06 AM

Author Topic: Grade 6 Online: Full Term Set  (Read 4359 times)

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
Grade 6 Online: Full Term Set
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »
These are my materials from last year that are a mix of some of my own ideas, a lot of others' materials and the use of Mediafire online teaching files. Last year my group had each person provide one week's worth of lessons to be used or altered as we individually saw fit for our own class and English abilities. As well, we only did the first 8 units from the textbook, so I will include everything I have in chronological order with as much direction as possible based on what I can remember. Explanations for some activities are even in the .ppt files so be sure to look at the files ahead of time and make any changes as you need to. You will have to at least change dates for students this year if you use the date of the current class.
I hope these help you out in some way. And I will post all my materials as quickly as I can in this thread.

***Bear with me for what materials I have from last year for Weeks 10 and 11. I'll look more closely at them and post them ASAP. They were created by someone else and I have seen them among the Mediafire materials so some of you may already have these .ppt files.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:43:37 PM by shhowse »

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
Re: Grade Six Online: Full Term Set
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
Week 1:

Here are the basic introductions and review .ppt files I used last year. At the time it was more than enough for each of the two classes to be used since my students a bit higher level, but shy having just met me and with the technical errors happening in the first week.
Feel free to make changes or additions, as well as add any of your own videos or games/activities to improve on the files.
In some slides I had my own personal images that I've deleted. With the slide asking what country I'm from and for students to draw a line, I'd ask them afterwards to circle the country's flag that they're from, then say a random country to have them circle it if they knew for more basic review.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:27:34 AM by josephus »

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:20:07 PM »
Week 2:

Now that I look back on my earlier materials, they feel much weaker than they could've been, even though it had been my first time teaching online and learning the inner-workings of the program as well. Again, I used a mixture of materials from others, Mediafire and my own alterations. Hm.

The Ordinals Race game can be used after the students practice their ordinal numbers to continue reviewing during the second lesson. The Bomb Game can be used at the end of the same class to review both ordinal numbers and 'Where are you from?' Q&A material.

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »
Week 3:

The Ordinal Game was used after teaching Lesson 3 and the second Bomb Game was used after Lesson 4.

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »
Week 4:

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »
Week 5:

There are some activity files that can be utilized for students to practice. The maze .ppt file can be fun to get one student using a colour 'pen' in the Online Program while another student gives directions from start to finish.

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
Week 6:

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Week 7:

In the Lesson 3 - Question and Answer activity there are spelling and grammatical errors from this downloaded file that you should fix before using.
The Lesson 4 - Bomb Game is based on images used in the lesson files to prompt students to fill in the blanks to finish the questions and answers. There are two examples before the game starts on one slide. One showing a smiley face for 'Yes, I like...' and a frowning face for 'No, I don't like...'
You can use the Tic Tac Toe file and change images in order to get students (in two teams) to recall questions or phrases they've learned to get an X or O on the grid.

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
Week 8:

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »
Week 9:

In the first period's class (Lesson 3) materials you can use the Blazing Pens Word Scramble game to have 2 students per team try to unscramble the word or phrase and first one to get it correct scores a point for their team. Then switch students for the following slide.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:25:58 PM by josephus »

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »
Week 10:

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
Week 11:

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
Week 12:

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »
Week 13:

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
Week 14:

In the Who Am I game you can choose two members of each team to try to guess the job using a full sentence. "He/She is a/an..." etc.

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 11:33:49 AM »
Week 15:

Last year when I did this unit and, whether it was Week 14 or 15, when I got to the parts about asking students to respond to me about what members of their family do for a living, my co-teacher told me some of the kids were orphans, so I had to get her to explain to some to pretend because it was during class. Make sure to find this out beforehand just in case, to not offend any students emotionally, even if they don't actually get upset on-camera. My kids were still fairly upbeat about it, and it didn't seem like anyone got upset.

Last year the person responsible for this week's materials combined both days' worth of materials in to one .ppt file. You can choose how to split up the materials, add, changer or whatever else you'd like with the file.

Slide 71 refers to the Jobs Hidden Pictures Game.

You can use the Job Quiz activity at any point during the lesson either the first day or second, if you'd like.

The Bomb Game happens on the second day at the end of the lesson.

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »
Week 16:

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
This final week's materials were the ones I'd created with a mixture of my own ideas, review materials, Mediafire materials, etc. for last year.

The Pirates of the East Sea game went really well with the kids but allotting the time to play it is important to get a few good rounds worth out of the file. It's a game found on the Internet that was changed. If you ever desire to use it in your class or online class but want to change anything, just change questions/answers slides. Animations and other things can get affected if something else is accidentally deleted. I've used it in my first year high school class with review material and the kids enjoy it at least once.

Everything else is pretty straight forward, including my instructions in slides before the activity.

Enjoy.

Offline llamalady

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
Josephus,

Thank you so much. It really gives me an idea of what I can do and how I can structure a lesson. Did you ever use the textbook cd exercises with screen sharing? I'm unsure if I should do some textbook stuff or just extra materials that compliment it. I guess I'll ask the CT.
Thanks again :D

Offline josephus

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »
With the technical difficulties I had from time-to-time, I didn't bother even trying to use the CD material. I felt it was fairly irrelevant and lots of people post songs related to the textbook. Asking your co-t would be a good idea but ultimately it'll come down to how much time it takes up in the classes and how effective it is for your online class, considering they most likely get to see/hear any CD materials in class.
I enjoyed focusing on the language and teaching and games. If I was doing this again, and I hope I will next time around, I would want to do more with phrases and vocab and little games like in my last unit's PPT file to use a variety of ideas, because there are lots of Bomb Games out there and similar activities used week-to-week.
Good luck and enjoy!
PS - I know I still have to put up Week 10 stuff but I haven't been on much to get those materials sorted, and, like I'd said in the thread for one of those weeks, the things I had from people back then are in Mediafire materials, too.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment