To follow up on a previous post and to add a new twist, I was wondering what we will complain about when we leave Korea. I think foreigners complain a lot because the advantages and disadvantages of living in Korea compared to living in Western counties are so extreme. Also the Honeymoon stage was really intense for me because Koreans try so hard to make a good first impression and a lot of things I loved about Korea turned out to be fake. After noticing the shocking contrasts one can’t help but complain. Nonetheless there are still a lot of things I love about this country and I will (along with many others) probably complain about a lot of things when I return home.
Things I will miss the most about Korea (in no particular order)
1) Heath Care. It’s fast, cheap, and efficient. I’m American so I don’t have much to compare with
2) Dental Care is also fast, cheap, and efficient
3) A free apartment
4) Great public transportation
5) Jimjjilbangs (bathhouses)
6) The food (you either love it or you hate it. I can’t even go a few days without kimchi before I get the jitters
7) Free Korean classes (seek and you shall find)
The opportunity to meet people from all over the world through organized events.
9) Having the time and resources to travel through Southeast Asia
10) Being considered to be more beautiful than I am in my home country (Wow! Big eyes! Small face!) I know, it’s superficial…
11) Financial Independence. Being able to pay back student loans, travel, and not have to ask my parents for money
12) All those funny ‘Engrish’ moments.
13) Having an extremely small work load and a lot of free time at work (not true if you’re working in a Hagwon)
14) Some of the best Salsa clubs in the World. (Not everyone’s favorite but I think most can agree that the nightlife is pretty great).
What else am I missing?