December 23, 2014, 05:50:29 AM

Author Topic: Zombie Summer Camp (Middle School)  (Read 11784 times)

Offline surfergurlie

• Explorer
Re: Zombie Summer Camp (Middle School)
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 02:04:43 PM »
A friend of mine who recommended the movie did a worksheet AND found Korean subtitles... she's posted it at this link:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,15633.0.html

WOOHOO! It's all coming together :)

Offline Ilikebunny

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 05:22:31 PM »
Great job! This is a really, really fun camp!

I wish I was teaching a camp just to use some of this! But I think I can re-work some things and use them in my conversation classes. Your choose your own adventure ppt is especially fantastic! Thanks so much for this!

Offline deltablues

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »
All right, here are some questions for Monster House and Shaun of the Dead--each movie is about an hour and a half so can be split into two 45-minute periods if you're doing Fido for the first three days.

Offline dbtm

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 01:05:21 PM »
Heeeey this is an (almost) perfect thread for this.

What I have are 5 days of worksheet activities related to Episodes 1-5 of AMC's The Walking Dead You will have to procure the show yourself as obviously I cannot attach it on waygook. I included a .zip of the Korean/English subtitle files. The Partner Discussion Question worksheet is not mine.

Notes: For the love of god read these first
  • Each episode is ~45 minutes long, with the exception of the first which is just over an hour.
  • The show is deadly serious and grotesquely violent
THIS SHOW IS RATED TV-19 IN KOREA. IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOW IT TO MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
  • There is a fair amount of swearing as well as racial issues
  • You probably shouldnt use this with middle school students. I am just posting it here because I figured it might as well be a zombie lesson megathread.
  • There are a few sex scenes. Check the bottom of each worksheet, I have made notes about when you need to skip a scene (its really only a few in the whole thing) but I make no guarantees that I caught everything so ultimately its on you to decide if this is something you want to use in the classroom
  • The worksheets are designed for higher level middle school students, obviously feel free to adapt them.

Let me know what you guys think~
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:33:19 PM by dbtm »

Offline michelleh

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
Yeah, just a heads up to anyone planning to show Shaun of the Dead. It has an R rating. And an 18 rating in Korea.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/parentalguide

No way is it suitable for middle school students... or even high school.

Don't get me wrong, I freaking love that movie. It's one of my favourites, and I think it's hilarious.
Also, most of the students would probably love it too AND they've probably been exposed to far more violent stuff than it.
But it is a fact that it would be illegal for any of us to show it to underage kids.

Offline dbtm

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
Yes michelleh is completely right. I only posted my Walking Dead materials here because (who knows) someone might be in a position to use it and I wanted it to come up in the thread with all the other zombie mateirals. In America, The Walking Dead is rated TV-14. I can't find the Korean rating for it but I can only imagine it is higher. Had a Korean friend look into it. Its rated 19.

When I say that the difficulty is "high level middle school students" I definitely don't mean you should show it to middle school students. Just that that is what the difficulty level is.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:34:18 PM by dbtm »

Offline Thomas123

• Waygookin
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »
I used this Zombie Apocalypse class in my evening classes - might be useful for middle school/high school teachers.

http://prezi.com/cyxtscjdjdjm/morning-class-zombie-apocalypse/

Offline Bladerunner

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »

Here is a link to "what to do in a zombie attack"  - a parody of educational films from the 1950's, might be helpful and I attached 2 PPT's that I used to teach film theory, they are dense so feel free to change or simplify them in any way you need.

Offline faery_lights

• Adventurer
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 05:33:13 PM »
This camp is awesome. Thanks so much!

I teach at an All-Boys Middle School so I know they'll dig this. I'm only doing a two day camp though (I'll be sent to an Elementary School for the majority of my camp time) so I'll be skipping things like the movies and some of the writing activities. When I've worked out how my camp will work, I'll post the overview here, just in case anyone else has a shorter amount of time like me :)

Offline strategicwriting

• Explorer
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 05:45:59 AM »
I havent been able to look at all the content as yet, but came upon this site when I was actually goggling curriculum for a summer camp in Canada...Im hoping that it will work equally well...I didnt realise this is an ESL site!

Offline faery_lights

• Adventurer
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
I have a quick question about the personality test- is the circling of the yes/no's random? I just don't understand the multiple rows or quite how the test works. Any help would be most appreciated!

:)

Offline Matthew1987

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
I think Army of Darkness would be reasonable and pretty funny for the kids.  The Deadites are Zombie-ish.  It also lends itself to a game where you could have the kids repeat some phrase to keep their team from being cursed, like the scene from that movie.  I'm thinking of having two teams that take turns being on offense and defense, the offense being the zombies and the the defense being the survivors.  You could have something like a team game of Simon Says or Red Light Green Light where mistakes of some sort are punished by the zombies moving forward toward the survivors.

Offline crazypatrickteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »
I made this today. It's only the second thing I've ever done with hyperlinks. I did all the sound files on my own, with guitar, drum machine, enthusiastic voice, and even the office tea/coffee water heater for a sound clip. Half the pictures are shamelessly borrowed from google images, (the zombies) while all the scenes pictures were taken around my neighborhood, at twilight and at night.

Please feel free to let me know what you think. I know the timing is lame on a lot of the sound files. Much of this thing is very DIY, and as a result I'm sentimentally attached. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome though. I plan on using it as part of a summer camp. I hope it isn't deemed too scary for grade five. I didn't realize it as I was making it, but when I test ran through it afterward, it occurred to me that  maybe (I hope not) it's a bit much for fifth graders (though probably no worse than some of the computer games they play). Unintentional inspiration for this came from a teacher at the GEPIK Plus workshop last month.

Offline Bender0330

• Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
I had a few students that didn't want to do scary stuff, which limited the zombie theme quite a bit so I ended up changing themes for the second week.

However, I just came across this video and think it could be good for whoever is looking for a great zombie video to introduce your camp (it's called zombie university):

It's done with puppets so it's not scary and it's pretty goofy so the kids should find it entertaining.  Pretty harmless but good.

Offline meaghan

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Thanks to everyone who posted, I used lots of your stuff in my zombie camp last week, and the kids had a great time!

Here's a few more activities people might like to use. My students are mostly high intermediates, but some of this stuff could work with lower level kids too.

for the day 1 "zombify yourself" activity, I a photo of each kid then blew it up to A4 size and printed it during a break. After break they spent a whole period colouring and drawing on their pictures to turn themselves into zombies. Fun times.

day 2 scattergories we didn't actually get past the weapons section because the kids had SO. MANY. IDEAS. but if yours are less enthused I'm sure you could still fill 20-30 minutes with it. For each thinkpairshare slide I gave the kids a minute or two to talk with their partner (in English), it's a great low-pressure activity to get them thinking and talking.
English theatre in Korea! www.seoulplayers.com

Offline meaghan

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »
(continued...)

I had mostly girls, so the paper doll craft was really popular with them. I also taught them the dance to "Thriller" - very fun way to fill a period or two!

I took someone's suggestion above of using the att "natural voices" website to make a radio broadcast. I used it as an intro to the scavenger hunt activity, which someone else posted above. If you use my worksheet you'll want to change the script slightly so it matches your location and dates:)

I did two song gap-fill exercises on different days (the urls are in the url file). Zombie Delight is pretty challenging...so if your students are lower-level you might not want to do this one.

I strongly strongly recommend showing Fido during your camp. We watched it in 10-30 minute chunks over 4 days, and I gave them questions to work on after each chunk. We used English subtitles, not Korean, and that was enough support for my kids to follow what was going on. This movie has no sex or swearing, very minimal gore, and is quite quirky and cute. All of my students enjoyed it and I didn't have to worry about scarring them for life and/or upsetting their parents.

Thanks again to all of the other posters, your stuff helped me put together the best camp I've ever had. I hope yours goes just as well!
English theatre in Korea! www.seoulplayers.com

Offline Bender0330

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »
Here is another video I just found that's pretty rad!  I wish I had found all these before I bailed on Zombies Camp.

Offline Bender0330

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »
I guess since I'm posting on here I may as well contribute what I got through in the first week.

The first day I used the detectives camp ID cards but I added a little twist to it.  I used this website that takes pictures of people's faces and turns them into zombies.  And I gave them a little badge depending on whatever type of survivor they ended up being.  Pretty simple but I got some pretty awesome reactions from my students when they saw their zombie pictures.  They pretty much all screamed (It's an all girls class  :laugh:)

http://makemezombie.com/

The second day I did a scavenger race, where you hide activities all over the school, give them a clue to find it and they run and bring it back to their group.  This activity normally spans 45 minutes if you make the rest of the teams wait for the other teams to finish.  However, this time I let them go on to the next activity as soon as they finished and they BLASTED through it.  So I recommend you add more activities if you want to let them go fast.

The third day I started a project where they create their own zombies out of card stock and little brad joints.  I recommend you find a hole punch instead of using a pin to poke holes in the kids zombies, I don't know how much I'd trust them with needles.  I asked them to write 6 facts about their zombie and come up and present it to the class.  It spanned about 2 classes and went over pretty well.

I had to change over to Explore your world type of camp since some students don't like scary stuff.  Hope these help someone!

Offline ross.d

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:50 PM »
Simple Game that is always creative and amusing. One student comes to the computer screen and describes what they see. In this case the zombie/monster theme. The other students then draw what they hear then I turn on the projector and they can compare their monsters. Ricky Gervais' monsters are good for this but I also wanted to include some movie favourites like the Gremlins.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:21:40 AM by ross.d »

Offline FalseFace

• Super Waygook
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
I made a sheet for the students while they watched the opening of Zombieland.   Included is a space for the students to make their own rule.  I think this will create some fun discussion!
Lastly, I made a sheet for the students to write the diary portion.  I think I'm going to make a poster out of their "entries"; maybe dirty them up or partially burn them for effect!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:58:11 AM by FalseFace »
"We're entrusted with the same tomorrow..."
-- El-P

Recent Lesson Plans

Grr I need to rant by Mr C
[Today at 02:42:18 AM]

DragonBall Z Bomb Game by keepemgreen
[Today at 01:36:13 AM]

K-Pop Slam Twist by whitleybug
[Yesterday at 08:33:25 PM]

How to Train Your Dragon Camp by kalib
[Yesterday at 05:55:54 PM]