April 19, 2014, 12:59:10 PM

Author Topic: General Browser Note...  (Read 9855 times)

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
General Browser Note...
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:05:20 AM »
Just a quick reminder to everyone that if you haven't upgraded your version of Internet Explorer to at least version 7, you'll likely have problems viewing some of the content of this site.  I mention this again because I had a chance to review the site statistics, and noticed a good majority of users still using IE6.

Please update: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9AE91EBE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en
or
Use: http://www.firefox.com/

This is the reason I am posting this:  (you'll notice I've removed some info and other stats belonging to the site, for security purposes).
Carpe PM... ZzzzzZzzz ZzzzZzzz.

Offline Brian

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
Re: General Browser Note...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »
Yep, I'm one of the people still using IE6 at home.  Have to switch one of these days, but when I tried IE7 it caused all sorts of problems for my computer, and I had to undo it about two days later.  Maybe I'll have to try something else.

Just worth mentioning that I don't recall ever seeing a school computer or a computer in a PC bang in Korea that used anything other than IE6, so that's a reason for your skewed stats right there. 
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Visit me: http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:42:23 AM »
Upgraded to IE8.  The page looks much better.
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Visit me: http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com

Offline masterdirector

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »
can't believe anybody still uses Internet Explorer, unless forced (often the case here I've noticed).  Firefox all the way.

Offline sleeman

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »
Google Chrome FTW!!! fastest and also has built in translation, very handy in Korea..

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
I use Chrome due to relative ease of install. I don't know how the install differs exactly, but there's no PC reset needed and I've even been able to stick it on 'net cafe terminals that erase all new data upon reset.

Be careful updating Internet Explorer hey. A terrifying proportion of websites in Korea seem to assume or demand an obsolete variant, so unless you have your own personal machine (lucky) you run the risk of annoying a colleague.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline jonpurdy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »
Be careful updating Internet Explorer hey. A terrifying proportion of websites in Korea seem to assume or demand an obsolete variant, so unless you have your own personal machine (lucky) you run the risk of annoying a colleague.

This is a good way to introduce your colleagues to the fact that Koreans still use a browser that's ten years old.

I've found IE8 works with most Korean sites just as well as 6 at this point. Gmarket and KEB both work fine with it.

Offline ismellbatman

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
I recommend google chrome.

Offline LemonWater

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »

This is a good way to introduce your colleagues to the fact that Koreans still use a browser that's ten years old.

I've found IE8 works with most Korean sites just as well as 6 at this point. Gmarket and KEB both work fine with it.

Most Koreans know that their version of internet explorer is obsolete. The problem is with their crazy internet security, internet certificates, and programs - which are incompatable with newer versions or alternative browsers. The costs of updating every website and program are too great right now.

It is annoying, but if you need to access a lot of Korean sites or do online banking, you might not want to change browsers.

Offline DragonDon

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »
Some websites will only work with IE (KB Bank for example).

Still, the concept of 'having to switch' is not true.  You can easily have multiple browsers installed on your computer.  For our browsing habits, we use Google Chrome but for banking we simply fire up I, do the banking needed and then close it.

FireFox is also a great alternative and has a neat add-on that you can install called IE View.  This will run a copy of IE within a FireFox tab.  Haven't checked if Chrome has this add-on yet.

Oh, also, FireFox has another add-on called 'open in IE' which means if you click on a link that you have defined as an 'IE Link' it will open up the website with IE (not in another tab).

There really is little reason to use IE any more.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »
Great advice all round. Just a question, if you have all three browsers installed, IE, Firefox and Chrome, how do you tell your PC/Laptop which of the 3 you want to use as your default browser for example if you get a link in an email?  Thanks in advance.

Just a side note. I introduced Firefox to my Korean co-teacher and she is over the moon with it.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline DragonDon

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
Great advice all round. Just a question, if you have all three browsers installed, IE, Firefox and Chrome, how do you tell your PC/Laptop which of the 3 you want to use as your default browser for example if you get a link in an email?  Thanks in advance.

Just a side note. I introduced Firefox to my Korean co-teacher and she is over the moon with it.

By default, IE is the default browser.  During the install, you will be asked if you would like to make </insert Chrome/FireFox/SeaMonkey/Opera> your default browser.

You can change this at any time by simply going into the options of said browser and check the 'make default' box.

DragonDon

Offline epinephrine9

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Oh, also, FireFox has another add-on called 'open in IE' which means if you click on a link that you have defined as an 'IE Link' it will open up the website with IE (not in another tab).

Chrome has that extension too now. It makes life so much easier here. In fact, my coteacher needed to upgrade his installation of IE (for one reason or another) and for some reason the Microsoft website wasn't letting him do so. So I installed Chrome on his computer, added the IE Tab extension, and I wound up doing all the Microsoft Update things in Chrome IE Tab, which, imo, obsoleted the necessity of upgrading it in the first place.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

By default, IE is the default browser.  During the install, you will be asked if you would like to make </insert Chrome/FireFox/SeaMonkey/Opera> your default browser.

You can change this at any time by simply going into the options of said browser and check the 'make default' box.

DragonDon

Thanks so much, I have installed all three now and Chrome works well.  It is such a pity that Chrome and Firefox have a bad reputation here.  I cannot understand it, the computer teacher at my school says she doesn't like Firefox because it leads to many virus infections!!!
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline DragonDon

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »

Keep in mind that most people are teachers are not techies.  Feel free to ask her her technical proof of such a claim.  She won't have any.  It's like the 'because it's an english computer you can't print to the network printer' kind of response I once heard.  Just plain silly words for people who aren't interested in learning the real reason for a problem.

I wonder if any of them have Macs....

DragonDon

Thanks so much, I have installed all three now and Chrome works well.  It is such a pity that Chrome and Firefox have a bad reputation here.  I cannot understand it, the computer teacher at my school says she doesn't like Firefox because it leads to many virus infections!!!

Offline elzoog

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 06:11:44 PM »
Yep, I'm one of the people still using IE6 at home.  Have to switch one of these days, but when I tried IE7 it caused all sorts of problems for my computer, and I had to undo it about two days later.  Maybe I'll have to try something else.

Just worth mentioning that I don't recall ever seeing a school computer or a computer in a PC bang in Korea that used anything other than IE6, so that's a reason for your skewed stats right there.

My Korean friend noted that IE7 caused problems.   Word probably got around so many Koreans probably didn't upgrade.

At home, I use Firefox with Linux Mint as my operating system.   I find that if I run firefox in the following

Linux Mint)  Much of my computer resources seem to be dedicated to firefox.

Windows)  Maybe 30% of my computer resources seem to be dedicated to firefox.   The majority of the rest seems to be dedicated to running virus or software updates.  At school, the virus updater was so bad as far as resources that it made the Internet completely unusable for the majority of the day.  So I couldn't load videos to watch in class, or show pictures to explain words.

Occasionally, the updater in Windows will nag me about rebooting.   Doesn't seem to care that I am in the middle of doing something else, like showing something in the middle of a class.

I joke with friends that in the future, companies that still bother with Windows will give employees a 4 hour break time every day so that they can go do something else while Windows updates.

Offline Damien

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Define desinty
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »
Korea is not very Firefox or MAC friendly. I found this out the fun way using internet banking. Demons. . .I use bootcamp Windows XP and IE to solve the issue.
“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

Offline The Zahir

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »

DragonDon

:o
lolwut?
 :laugh:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »

DragonDon

:o
lolwut?
 :laugh:

What is this I don't even.

Offline giantinkorea

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
I install Chrome on every computer I visit in Korea. PC bang, classroom, anywhere.

Recent Lesson Plans

Writing College Admissions Essays 수시 by Landfried
[Today at 11:13:54 AM]

Need some help with materials! by Wintermute
[Today at 06:37:16 AM]

"Teaching philosophy" by Wintermute
[Today at 04:41:22 AM]

ESL games for adults by johnny russian
[Yesterday at 08:19:40 PM]

Great preposition activity! by MoneyMike
[Yesterday at 05:14:40 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade