November 01, 2014, 07:09:56 PM

Author Topic: Constantly sick  (Read 30099 times)

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
Constantly sick
« on: April 28, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
I have been in Korea for 8 months. This is the 11th time I have been sick but this is the worse. I have been experiencing swollen tonsils, a sore throat, bad allergies where my nose may bleed if I blow my nose and this has been going on for the last three weeks. But the past three days, I have gotten worse. I have been vomiting, feeling dizzy, having malaise, weak, my whole body in pain and when I went to the doctor on Wednesday, I was close to fainting. The horrible smells of tobacco and the old people irritated stomach so badly in the hospital that my ears popped and I almost fainted. The doctor just asked me my symptoms and told me that I have an upper respiratory infection. I don't believe him. Something else is happening to me.

Today I am a little better but I still am weak and my stomch is griping so I can't eat anything but soft fruits and drink juice and water.

My immune system has weaken. I am at the point where if I get sick even worse (like pneumonia or deadly food poisoning) I'm going back home. I hope nothing here is killing me.

Offline cansom

• Adventurer
Re: What in the heck is happening to me?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »
So sorry to hear about your terrible sickness. I hope that you are resting and starting to feel better. Have you ever tried oil of oregano? It tastes terrible but is an antifunal, antiviral, and more. It works everytime I get sick but what you are experiencing sounds pretty serious and uncomfortable. I hope you will be able to determine what you have, but it is a bit worrying that your nose is bleeding...
Sending you healthy thoughts.

Offline blondeari

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »
I hear a lot of people having similar problems, though not as severely as yours.
I actually get sick less often in Korea, if you can believe that...but I have other problems with digestion and my skin.

I realized that the route to my problem was food, surprise surprise. I got so used to gorging on rice and meat that I forgot to eat a balanced diet. Cutting rice out of my diet has been such a saving grace, I now have enough room to eat veggies, yogurt, grains, beans...etc.

It may not be that simple for you, but a positive change in diet can't hurt.
And you can also start wearing a scary mask, just in case the yellow dust is causing your woes. ;) 

Offline Briguyman

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
I have been in Korea for 8 months. This is the 11th time I have been sick but this is the worse. I have been experiencing swollen tonsils, a sore throat, bad allergies where my nose may bleed if I blow my nose and this has been going on for the last three weeks. But the past three days, I have gotten worse. I have been vomiting, feeling dizzy, having malaise, weak, my whole body in pain and when I went to the doctor on Wednesday, I was close to fainting. The horrible smells of tobacco and the old people irritated stomach so badly in the hospital that my ears popped and I almost fainted. The doctor just asked me my symptoms and told me that I have an upper respiratory infection. I don't believe him. Something else is happening to me.

Today I am a little better but I still am weak and my stomch is griping so I can't eat anything but soft fruits and drink juice and water.

My immune system has weaken. I am at the point where if I get sick even worse (like pneumonia or deadly food poisoning) I'm going back home. I hope nothing here is killing me.

Research your air quality. My air conditioner severely irritates my tonsil area. When I leave the window open, it dries me out severely.

Check if you are hydrated, especially now in yellow dust season. If you are hydrated, drink gatorade and take vitamins on a set schedule for a week and see if there's a change. You are losing a lot of important things your body needs through the air, this air sucks the friggin life out of you. I have had chesty/lung/throat type problems for the past 2-3 months straight.

Also, our bodies are used to the sicknesses in our own countries. Here, it's like they have to learn how to fight illness all over again because of the different strains of virii. Maybe your body is just sick and tired of fighting everything. Give yourself a good few days of warmth and rest.

Also, don't mind the two idiots that posted here. You know how we say the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? It's reversed for illness. People always think, "No one could ever possibly have it as hard as ME." That's these two morons in a nutshell. They think that everyone else is just a wuss, but when THEY'RE sick, it's real.

If the morons read this, everyone's body reacts differently to everything. Just like everyone's mind does. The poster has a sickness of the body. You have a sickness of the mind.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:53:14 PM by Briguyman »

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »
The nose bleeding when blown and spitting blood got me scared so I got a complete check at the ENT doctor, He checked for everything and found no cancers etc
just that my nose was sensitive to dry air
he suggested I get a humidifier
I did and it stopped, so did the sore throats
we recently bought a hygrometer ($6)and it tells us exactly how dry the air in the apartment is and what it should be, we were shocked at how dry the air was before we turned on the humidifier
having a more humid living area helps with keeping the dust down too
hope you get better soon :)

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
I diagnose Munchhausen's with a chronic bout of hypochondria. You also seem to be afflicted with early stage dementia and Attention Seeking Hysteria Disease.

There is one known cure. Stop posting on Waygook.org

No need to thank me.

No need to be a tool. She obviously needs help and if she can't come here, where can she go?

OP, talk to your parents or a friend at home and see if they can talk to a doctor. Or, if you're up late enough tonight just call your home doctor directly from Skype and see if they can recommend anything. It's hard to tell anything for sure without your doctor being here but that does not sound like an upper respiratory infection. Maybe also talk to your co-teacher and see if they can do some blood tests or something. I'm not a medical expert of course, but those are some pretty severe symptoms.

Oh, and lots and lots and lots of water.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:53:24 PM by notinKS »

jdb1983

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »
Korea has lots of pollution and allergens including yellow dust. I would see an internist and maybe go to an ENT doctor to assess the situation. I remember the first time I was in Korea I had bronchitis for like 4 months. It kept coming back. They'll probably give you an antihistamine or some other medicine to help you out.

Offline jay_tyler

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:57 PM »
Check your house for mold.

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
So sorry to hear about your terrible sickness. I hope that you are resting and starting to feel better. Have you ever tried oil of oregano? It tastes terrible but is an antifunal, antiviral, and more. It works everytime I get sick but what you are experiencing sounds pretty serious and uncomfortable. I hope you will be able to determine what you have, but it is a bit worrying that your nose is bleeding...

I have been drinking the red ginseng tea. I just haven't been this sick in a while. I will try out the oil or oregano. It's okay if it taste bad, I can just take it with juice. :D

Offline princesspeach

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »
I don't think you can call your doctor back home. My doctors told me that once I'm here and out of the province, they can not legally give me medical advice, even if I called them.

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »

Research your air quality. My air conditioner severely irritates my tonsil area. When I leave the window open, it dries me out severely.

Check if you are hydrated, especially now in yellow dust season. If you are hydrated, drink gatorade and take vitamins on a set schedule for a week and see if there's a change. You are losing a lot of important things your body needs through the air, this air sucks the friggin life out of you. I have had chesty/lung/throat type problems for the past 2-3 months straight.

Also, our bodies are used to the sicknesses in our own countries. Here, it's like they have to learn how to fight illness all over again because of the different strains of virii. Maybe your body is just sick and tired of fighting everything. Give yourself a good few days of warmth and rest.

Also, don't mind the two idiots that posted here. You know how we say the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? It's reversed for illness. People always think, "No one could ever possibly have it as hard as ME." That's these two morons in a nutshell. They think that everyone else is just a wuss, but when THEY'RE sick, it's real.

If the morons read this, everyone's body reacts differently to everything. Just like everyone's mind does. The poster has a sickness of the body. You have a sickness of the mind.

Those two guys are losers.

But yes my immune system is weaker. I have not had allergies this bad since I was 14. I do take Zyrtec here.

I live in Daejeon. The air quality there, I don't know how bad it really is. I always hear about how horrific Seoul's air quality is. I have a humidifier.

It's time for me to disinfect my apartment and cut back on certain food. I don't CARE if it hurts the Koreans' feelings if I can't eat certain foods. They always insist I try something. No. They need to open their minds and realize everybody ain't the same--and this only refers to the teachers at my first school. They are all closed-minded. The teachers at my second school are more open-minded.

Offline jchoi911

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »
I have tonsillitis currently as well, got it like 3 or 4 weeks ago too..

Eat more pineapples and yogurt, they are AWESOME!!!! :D

Offline Castielle

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Super Waygook
  • PM for any query.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
Can we please stop the verbal harassing that is going on. If it continues the topic will be locked.
when in Rome.. Die eind resultaat moet die moeite werd wees!

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Despite the two trolls, I am interested in the oil of oregano. Where can I find that here?

Offline tyl6r

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
ajw... go do some work guy.

i used to get spontaneous nosebloods, too, from blowing my nose or i'd wake up in the middle of the night with blood all over me.  my doc said i am sensitive to dry air, but you could also be reacting to the pollutants/poor air quality.  i got a humidifier and, this is gross, but acting on doctors orders I got a DEDICATED un-flavored, unmedicated chapstick and applied it to the problem area (yes, up my nose). worked like a charm and the nose-bleeds stopped. but that will only treat on of your many symptoms, not the cause.

if you're worried your doc is mis/under-diagnosing your condition, i wouldn't hesitate to seek a second opinion.

also, eating raw fruit (even if they're soft) and juices can be rough on a troubled digestive system since they're tough for your body to break down.  you should stick to things like over-cooked brown rice, with an egg is good, too, pastas, or chicken broth.  things that are readily digestible and have a high density of calories. and for goodness sake, avoid dairy.

also, i'd keep in mind that it's very unlikely anyone in this forum is a doctor (myself included, obviosuly. sorry if someone is, though!). if your doctor's solutions aren't working for you, find a different doctor, and do that until you get better.  your health above all else!

best of luck to you!

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »
Do you teach elementary?
I used to teach the younger kids including Kindergarten and got sick all the time, really wore me down
always one of them was sick and I would get it (so did the other native teachers)
I teach middle school now and it doesn't happen as much
now I just get worn out with the middle school kids, can't win LOL

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »

Which hospital did you visit? If you didn't go there, try the Chungnam University Hospital near SeoDaejeon Negeori. They are one of the better hospitals in your area. It's in the area of Costco.

Offline Juno106

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
Do you drink often?
Do you smoke?
DO you feel stressed from being in this new environment? (like get along with co workers , etc.)
DO you perhaps have allergies to something?
IS there mold in your house?
Have you seen a doctor?

Offline Briguyman

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Despite the two trolls, I am interested in the oil of oregano. Where can I find that here?

I don't want to downplay the importance of oil of oregano, but maybe try simply drinking a lot more water first.

Offline jchoi911

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »

I have been drinking the red ginseng tea. I just haven't been this sick in a while. I will try out the oil or oregano. It's okay if it taste bad, I can just take it with juice. :D

Only drink/ take ginseng when you're feeling healthy,
 if you're sick, the ginseng actually prolongs the illness according to one of my previous doctors
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:24:12 PM by jchoi911 »

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment