July 26, 2014, 10:02:33 AM

Author Topic: Constantly sick  (Read 28084 times)

Offline Briguyman

• Veteran
Re: What in the heck is happening to me?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
I have been in Korea for 8 months. This is the 11th time I have been sick but this is the worse. I have been experiencing swollen tonsils, a sore throat, bad allergies where my nose may bleed if I blow my nose and this has been going on for the last three weeks. But the past three days, I have gotten worse. I have been vomiting, feeling dizzy, having malaise, weak, my whole body in pain and when I went to the doctor on Wednesday, I was close to fainting. The horrible smells of tobacco and the old people irritated stomach so badly in the hospital that my ears popped and I almost fainted. The doctor just asked me my symptoms and told me that I have an upper respiratory infection. I don't believe him. Something else is happening to me.

Today I am a little better but I still am weak and my stomch is griping so I can't eat anything but soft fruits and drink juice and water.

My immune system has weaken. I am at the point where if I get sick even worse (like pneumonia or deadly food poisoning) I'm going back home. I hope nothing here is killing me.

Research your air quality. My air conditioner severely irritates my tonsil area. When I leave the window open, it dries me out severely.

Check if you are hydrated, especially now in yellow dust season. If you are hydrated, drink gatorade and take vitamins on a set schedule for a week and see if there's a change. You are losing a lot of important things your body needs through the air, this air sucks the friggin life out of you. I have had chesty/lung/throat type problems for the past 2-3 months straight.

Also, our bodies are used to the sicknesses in our own countries. Here, it's like they have to learn how to fight illness all over again because of the different strains of virii. Maybe your body is just sick and tired of fighting everything. Give yourself a good few days of warmth and rest.

Also, don't mind the two idiots that posted here. You know how we say the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? It's reversed for illness. People always think, "No one could ever possibly have it as hard as ME." That's these two morons in a nutshell. They think that everyone else is just a wuss, but when THEY'RE sick, it's real.

If the morons read this, everyone's body reacts differently to everything. Just like everyone's mind does. The poster has a sickness of the body. You have a sickness of the mind.

Those two guys are losers.

But yes my immune system is weaker. I have not had allergies this bad since I was 14. I do take Zyrtec here.

I live in Daejeon. The air quality there, I don't know how bad it really is. I always hear about how horrific Seoul's air quality is. I have a humidifier.

It's time for me to disinfect my apartment and cut back on certain food. I don't CARE if it hurts the Koreans' feelings if I can't eat certain foods. They always insist I try something. No. They need to open their minds and realize everybody ain't the same--and this only refers to the teachers at my first school. They are all closed-minded. The teachers at my second school are more open-minded.

I'm in Daejeon too, and the air quality isn't great. Maybe it isn't polluted but it's SO DRY. It's wreaking havoc on me. I am drinking a lot of water and taking vitamins and it helps. Also, remember how much sodium ALL korean food has. Like even pizzas. That takes even more water out of the places that need it in your body. 

I think - try all the things mentioned, but do it scientifically so you know exactly what the deal is. Try something for a week. Then switch to something else. Trying everything at once will leave you feeling better but still uneducated.

Offline Za

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
Hi OP,

Sorry to hear about how sick you are. It sucks I know. I've been more sick in 2 years in Korea than i have been in my entire life. I found that the Doctors who can't speak English well (usually in the smaller areas) have difficulty not only understanding the problems/symptoms we have, but also diagnosing foreigners. I went to a Dr in my area, and although his English was ok and he could get through a simple conversation i was not happy with my diagnosis. We KNOW when something is wrong with our bodies right?

Someone suggested Yonsei University Hospital. They cater specifically to foreigners, and there is a section in the hospital just for us. All the doctors have studied abroad in USA and Australia. There English is perfect and they sort of understand that giving us a weeks worth of random pills is not the way to go. I felt much better going there and my problem was sorted out in NO TIME!!! If you don't mind traveling, they have a hospital in Gangnam and Sinchon (This is where i went).  Here is the link to there website. You will have to make an appointment.

http://www.yuhs.or.kr/en/

Good luck!!

Offline leporello

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
I'm in seoul, but I understand exactly what you mean...

I think that this country can be very unhealthy for waegookins like us.. Apart from the extremes in temperature, there is pollution and yellow dust wafting over from China all the time...

The first year I was here, I was just sick all the time... I mean, I just got over one fever when I catch a cold, that kind of thing... Over time (this is the end of my 4th year), it got better, but not markedly so...

To be honest, I think the only real cure for whatever you keep getting is to go home... That's what I plan on doing: One more contract to get things sorted out and then back to NZ, where I can get over my Korea-induced Asthma and allergies (which i never had before coming here)..

The bottom line is: Nothing is more important than your health, because if you don't have that, you don't really have anything else as well...

L

Offline leporello

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
Hi OP,

Sorry to hear about how sick you are. It sucks I know. I've been more sick in 2 years in Korea than i have been in my entire life. I found that the Doctors who can't speak English well (usually in the smaller areas) have difficulty not only understanding the problems/symptoms we have, but also diagnosing foreigners. I went to a Dr in my area, and although his English was ok and he could get through a simple conversation i was not happy with my diagnosis. We KNOW when something is wrong with our bodies right

Someone suggested Yonsei University Hospital. They cater specifically to foreigners, and there is a section in the hospital just for us. All the doctors have studied abroad in USA and Australia. There English is perfect and they sort of understand that giving us a weeks worth of random pills is not the way to go. I felt much better going there and my problem was sorted out in NO TIME!!! If you don't mind traveling, they have a hospital in Gangnam and Sinchon (This is where i went).  Here is the link to there website. You will have to make an appointment.

Good luck!!

hey za, the poor guy's in daejon, not seoul... how's he supposed to get to Sincheon in the shape he's in...

Besides, I go to Severance hospital (the hospital at yonsei) and while i think it's ok, when I've been particularly sick, such as when I got the mexican flu last year, they did't really have much idea what was going on...

When you go there, most of the people working there are just students, with some (very slight) oversight by the head doctors...

Offline camaroclow

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:37 PM »
I have recently acquired a neti pot and it has been a god send here. The ability to have  the allergens and pollutants flushed out on a daily basis is amazing. My neti pot came from North America, so I'm not sure where to find one here.

Offline nzer-in-gyeongnam

• Expert Waygook
  • "abnosome" ~ "abnormal in an awesome way."
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 03:52:54 PM »
I sympathise with you OP.

My husband has been suffering very similar problems to those which you've described. He has been sick since September last year with these issues. It was so bad at one stage that the doctor here told him he had pneumonia. He was taken to hospital by ambulance and it cost us 100,000W for the experience.

We found that we have a lot of mold in our apartment and so we bleached it out and tried to kill it. We bought a dehumidifier to stop it growing back. We also went as far as to change his diet and increase his amount of exercise.

This might sound strange, but how much exercise do you do each day? If you're not doing any, find the time to fit in a 1hr walk or 2 30min walks each day, at a pace which elevates your heart rate. Change your diet to limit salts and transfats, and try to have 3 small meals a day and 2 or 3 light snacks. The lack of food you're consuming will not help your problem at all.

You've got to find the energy to get up and get moving, no matter how dehibilitating this may feel. I'm sorry you're not feeling so good, and I hope you get better soon.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
I have been in Korea for 8 months. This is the 11th time I have been sick but this is the worse. I have been experiencing swollen tonsils, a sore throat, bad allergies where my nose may bleed if I blow my nose and this has been going on for the last three weeks. But the past three days, I have gotten worse. I have been vomiting, feeling dizzy, having malaise, weak, my whole body in pain and when I went to the doctor on Wednesday, I was close to fainting. The horrible smells of tobacco and the old people irritated stomach so badly in the hospital that my ears popped and I almost fainted. The doctor just asked me my symptoms and told me that I have an upper respiratory infection. I don't believe him. Something else is happening to me.

Today I am a little better but I still am weak and my stomch is griping so I can't eat anything but soft fruits and drink juice and water.

My immune system has weaken. I am at the point where if I get sick even worse (like pneumonia or deadly food poisoning) I'm going back home. I hope nothing here is killing me.

Which hospital did you visit? If you didn't go there, try the Chungnam University Hospital near SeoDaejeon Negeori. They are one of the better hospitals in your area. It's in the area of Costco.

I go to Konyang University Hospital. But something isn't right there, that hospital rubs me the wrong way and it looks like you can get even sicker just standing in it. *puke!* Just to add, a man had a dog in the OB/GYN waiting room. It was a small dog in a bag. How unsanitary.

I will try Chugnam. Yes it's further away from me but I need to see a better doctor.

Offline aramella

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
I told my doctor that I will be out of the country for a few years.  She said I can contact her anytime I need medical attention.

You should probably seek a second opinion.  It sounds pretty serious.

Offline thedsr

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
OP, talk to your parents or a friend at home and see if they can talk to a doctor. Or, if you're up late enough tonight just call your home doctor directly from Skype and see if they can recommend anything. It's hard to tell anything for sure without your doctor being here but that does not sound like an upper respiratory infection. Maybe also talk to your co-teacher and see if they can do some blood tests or something. I'm not a medical expert of course, but those are some pretty severe symptoms.

Oh, and lots and lots and lots of water.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:29:22 PM by anna.rpo »

Offline Amerz100

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
Did you get your injections done before you left your country?

It's the yellow dust season ....maybe it has something to do with it.

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
I know I probably shouldn't be feeding the naysayers but just for the sake of adding another datapoint here, I'd wager I've had a cold for about 3/4 of the time I've been in Korea. Thankfully nothing quite as serious as anything listed above, but irritating nonetheless. I write it off as the result of a) excessive availability of frozen and processed food vs fresh and b) sheer volume of students taught: Daejeon has Elementary level teachers typically teaching each class once per week instead of twice, so twice the total level of potential exposure as some cities.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline Cereal

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Awwww man!
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
I just googled - ask a doctor -  and several sites came up where you can list symptoms and get medical opinions. It may not be helpful, but it may be worth a try.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

Offline dmhr25

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
Maybe you should check out a public bath or sauna.  You might be able to sweat some of those germs out...

Offline Chezlinl

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »
The changing seasons also have a big impact on ones health.
Especially fall and spring, when the weather is unpredictable and one can never judge the weather from day to day.The weather can change in a matter of moments

Offline Za

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »
Hi OP,

Sorry to hear about how sick you are. It sucks I know. I've been more sick in 2 years in Korea than i have been in my entire life. I found that the Doctors who can't speak English well (usually in the smaller areas) have difficulty not only understanding the problems/symptoms we have, but also diagnosing foreigners. I went to a Dr in my area, and although his English was ok and he could get through a simple conversation i was not happy with my diagnosis. We KNOW when something is wrong with our bodies right

Good luck!!

hey za, the poor guy's in daejon, not seoul... how's he supposed to get to Sincheon in the shape he's in...

Besides, I go to Severance hospital (the hospital at yonsei) and while i think it's ok, when I've been particularly sick, such as when I got the mexican flu last year, they did't really have much idea what was going on...

When you go there, most of the people working there are just students, with some (very slight) oversight by the head doctors...

Leporello,

First of all the OP is a female, and like I stated "if you don't mind traveling" then give Yonsei a try. I too live far from Seoul, but took a day off (take a sick day...you clearly need it) to go to Yonsei Severance Hospital. If that's not an option they are open on Saturdays too. Make a booking.

When i was there, i was seen to by a real Doctor (not a student) who got her degree in the States. I was really glad i went. This is just my opinion however.

Offline djfoodcourt

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
Waffle-

You sound miserable, I am so sorry for you!!  My first thought is that you had a cold or allergies that have morphed into a sinus infection.  This happened to me my first year of teaching.  I was sick ALL year.  The dizziness and nausea can be caused by liquid in your sinuses, which can also give you a sore throat (drainage) and also be the cause of the nose bleeds.

Eventually for me, antibiotics stopped working so I had to learn how to get rid of sinus infections on my own (I now get them about every 6 months or so...).

The biggest culprit is being dehydrated.   Cut out any alcohol or coffee (diurectics) and drink a TON of water.  Then, as posted earlier, get a neti-pot.  I had someone from home send me one because I couldn't find one here (although I didn't look very hard).  Get the kind that comes with the solution to clean out your sinuses.  It sucks using them, but they WORK!!

Then... this is gross, but when you blow your nose or cough or anything, make sure to wash your hands after, otherwise you will continue to re-infect yourself!  Your immune system is low and will catch anything floating around.

Also, it's possible you have a mold issue in your apt, which could cause the allergy problems too....  not sure what to tell you about that.  Hope this helps!!

Good luck!!

Offline SBracken

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
Definitely watch your diet- I notice that when I'm dehydrated I start to feel really 'bleh'-y. No engery, you know the deal. Also when I skimp on eating my veggies and kimchi at lunch everyday!

That said, I doubt you have a serious viral or bacterial condition- it does though sound like an upper respiratory infection, and they suck (but like everyone else, I'm no doctor). Get into some good habits of water (or tea), kimchi, fruits (oranges, bananas, apples, pineapple, strawberries), and yogurt is good as well. Try cutting out refined sugar (ie- get your energy from fruits n veggies). If you can only eat light foods, try oatmeal, cereal, pb&j, eggs and toast- someone else was spot on about sodium content, but make sure you're eating solid food as much as you can (and by solid I mean it will fill you up, rather than 'not soup').

Also when you can breathe a bit better, try going for a jog to get your body used to being active, and thus not tired. best wishes

Offline frappps

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
Maybe you should check out a public bath or sauna.
Because a room full of Korean guys staring at your junk is a good cure for anything.

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »
Maybe you should check out a public bath or sauna.
Because a room full of Korean guys staring at your junk is a good cure for anything.

Well, Korean women in the OP's case. But I've found public bathhouses to be helpful in the past. Nice to have some relaxation. Fanciest bathhouse in Daejeon is probably the Leports in Mannyeong-dong, between the Government Complex and the river, near KBS's broadcasting tower.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 05:09:42 PM »

Which hospital did you visit? If you didn't go there, try the Chungnam University Hospital near SeoDaejeon Negeori. They are one of the better hospitals in your area. It's in the area of Costco.

I go to Konyang University Hospital. But something isn't right there, that hospital rubs me the wrong way and it looks like you can get even sicker just standing in it. *puke!* Just to add, a man had a dog in the OB/GYN waiting room. It was a small dog in a bag. How unsanitary.

I will try Chugnam. Yes it's further away from me but I need to see a better doctor.

Yeah, according to my gf who is a nurse who studied at Chungnam, it is the ONLY decent hospital in Daejeon. She isn't saying it out of pride because she thought hospitals in Seoul are better, but she said it is the only one that speaks any amount of decent English and is CLEAN.

Try it out. If it sucks, you can come yell at me or something. If you go to Seoul, I would say to go to either Yonsei University Hospital, Asam Hyundai Hospital, Samsung Hospital, or the best, Seoul National University Hospital.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment