August 22, 2014, 08:48:20 PM

Author Topic: Constantly sick  (Read 28777 times)

Offline jmw9887

• Explorer
Re: What in the heck is happening to me?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 05:09:51 PM »
"I got a DEDICATED un-flavored, unmedicated chapstick and applied it to the problem area (yes, up my nose)"

You have to be really careful with putting vaseline or petroleum based products in your nose. That fluid can run into your lungs and later cause Pneumonia.
here's a link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/petroleum-jelly/an00947

Before I came here I got a TB vaccination ( and I am finding out a few friends of mine have too.) There is a high number of cases and you may want to be checked for that as well. Humidifiers are great and make sure you drink  a lot of water. i only drink bottled water too.

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
I have been in Korea for 8 months. This is the 11th time I have been sick but this is the worse. I have been experiencing swollen tonsils, a sore throat, bad allergies where my nose may bleed if I blow my nose and this has been going on for the last three weeks. But the past three days, I have gotten worse. I have been vomiting, feeling dizzy, having malaise, weak, my whole body in pain and when I went to the doctor on Wednesday, I was close to fainting. The horrible smells of tobacco and the old people irritated stomach so badly in the hospital that my ears popped and I almost fainted. The doctor just asked me my symptoms and told me that I have an upper respiratory infection. I don't believe him. Something else is happening to me.

Today I am a little better but I still am weak and my stomch is griping so I can't eat anything but soft fruits and drink juice and water.

My immune system has weaken. I am at the point where if I get sick even worse (like pneumonia or deadly food poisoning) I'm going back home. I hope nothing here is killing me.

Which hospital did you visit? If you didn't go there, try the Chungnam University Hospital near SeoDaejeon Negeori. They are one of the better hospitals in your area. It's in the area of Costco.

I go to Konyang University Hospital. But something isn't right there, that hospital rubs me the wrong way and it looks like you can get even sicker just standing in it. *puke!* Just to add, a man had a dog in the OB/GYN waiting room. It was a small dog in a bag. How unsanitary.

I will try Chugnam. Yes it's further away from me but I need to see a better doctor.

Yeah, according to my gf who is a nurse who studied at Chungnam, it is the ONLY decent hospital in Daejeon. She isn't saying it out of pride because she thought hospitals in Seoul are better, but she said it is the only one that speaks any amount of decent English and is CLEAN.

Try it out. If it sucks, you can come yell at me or something. If you go to Seoul, I would say to go to either Yonsei University Hospital, Asam Hyundai Hospital, Samsung Hospital, or the best, Seoul National University Hospital.

Yes, I will go to Chungnam tomorrow for a second opinion. Konyang University Hospital, something is not right there.  ::)

Harpeau

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »
Maybe you should check out a public bath or sauna.  You might be able to sweat some of those germs out...
OP sorry about that. It sounds rough! I agree. Sweat out lots of the toxins. Drink a lot of water each and every day. (Add a pinch of sea salt to a large bottle of water.) I've been here for 14 years. My first 7 months were horrible!! (Don't want to gross you out!)
Neti pots are great! (You can also use the plunger of a needle and warm salt water.) Cut back on sugar and regular salt. Get a rebounder and jump up and down for 5-10 min. per day.

The pring season can be very hard on the thyroid (with weather changes & all.) Walk a lot. Take Vitamin D3 and get lots of sun. I take 6 flavor tea capsuls, CoQ10, Vitamin B com, D3, E, selenium, DHEA, Omega 3~ among other things.
Go to a park and enjoy the trees. Yoga and meditation can be helpful in relieving stress. Best of luck to you!

Offline Damien

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Define desinty
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »
Korea is rather 'deadly' to us westerners with allergies, sensitive to moisture change, etc. Air quality is VERY POOR in many parts of Korea and is even worse during this season. Yellow dust in the air and you can't really notice it. There are plants, flowers, and other natural things you are not use to here. Spring is here and flowers are blooming. A combination of this kills a lot of us.

Keep your windows closed in your place. Use a humidifier or buy one. Clean your place from TOP TO BOTTOM. Look everywhere. There could be mold and this could be an issue for you. I found out in Germany I have a bad allergic reaction to mold. I moved into my apartment here and got sick the first few minutes. They did not clean the mold out of the shower. The Canadian living there before me was a SLOB. I bleached my entire apartment. Wear a mask outside. This will help with yellow dust. I am not bad enough right now to do it, but if I start to get bad, I will wear one. DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Water is seriously the simplest cure or aide for everything. You need to drink 3-4 liters a day. I am not kidding you. Get to a sauna and go in there for about 15 minutes. Then go outside and relax. Go back in for 15 minutes. I have a sauna back in the USA and I MISS IT SO MUCH. Sweat out the toxins and extra retained water you have. Make sure you drink lots of water in there too. You need to sweat out the bad and bring in the good. EXERCISE! It can be hard, but get that blood and body moving. Get walking, do aerobics, and try yoga.
“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

Offline natale_laplante

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »
You poor thing! I hope you get well soon!
I agree with staying hydrated and taking vitamins to help boost your immune system. Clean your apartment regularly and start exercising when you feel up to it.
Most importantly, though, is to get some rest.

Offline alijw

• Adventurer
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
Hi OP, sounds really rough...

I'm curious, are you from America and if so, have you a had a TB shot? An American friend of mine was sick with TB last year and the symptoms sound similar.

Other friends were exposed to it as well but we're British or Canadian and we have a vaccination (a painful one too) in high school.

Might be worth checking out. Good luck!

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »

I'm curious, are you from America and if so, have you a had a TB shot? An American friend of mine was sick with TB last year and the symptoms sound similar.

Other friends were exposed to it as well but we're British or Canadian and we have a vaccination (a painful one too) in high school.

I don't remember if I had a TB shot.

As far as staying hydrated, I do need to drink more and more water. It is pretty difficult because I dn't have those water machines. :'( So I boil my water and fill up the liter bottles. Next time, I will just buy a machine.

Offline Fatsy67

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 01:49:40 AM »
I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I had some pretty bad allergies back in America, but normal antihistamines would be enough to manage them. During yellow dust season here, nothing helps. The yellow dust is simply brutal. Also, the pollution in Incheon is visible in the air on a "good" day.

I also run into some digestion issues, even though I've been here 2 1/2 years. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the Korean food I'm eating, and certainly some of it has to do with drinking.

A humidifier definitely helps at home, but you're only at home so much during the day. I know how you feel. I hope you can find some answers. It's pretty miserable when the allergies are hitting hard and even making me sick.
Come to our bar in Incheon! www.liquorburger.com !

Offline cragesmure

• Super Waygook
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »

I don't remember if I had a TB shot.

As far as staying hydrated, I do need to drink more and more water. It is pretty difficult because I don't have those water machines. :'( So I boil my water and fill up the liter bottles. Next time, I will just buy a machine.
Not to be rude, but I don't know what kind of response you expect from people here.  I don't think anyone here has any kind of medical qualifications.  Especially when you don't even seem to recall your own medical history (you seriously don't remember if you've had a TB shot?  Please).  There is no better advice than to get to a well-trained, English speaking doctor.  That much should be obvious.  Isn't that what you'd do back home?  If you need contact details, PM me.  If it's just attention you are after, continue as you were.

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »
The pring season can be very hard on the thyroid (with weather changes & all.) Walk a lot. Take Vitamin D3 and get lots of sun. I take 6 flavor tea capsuls, CoQ10, Vitamin B com, D3, E, selenium, DHEA, Omega 3~ among other things.
Go to a park and enjoy the trees. Yoga and meditation can be helpful in relieving stress. Best of luck to you!
My sympathies to the OP. Harpeau, where do you get your vitamins? I originally brought D3 with me, but need some other things too. I've found that if I get a cold, which I do often here, Echinacea and Vit C work wonders with lots of water.

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »
I have been in Korea for 8 months. This is the 11th time I have been sick but this is the worse. I have been experiencing swollen tonsils, a sore throat, bad allergies where my nose may bleed if I blow my nose and this has been going on for the last three weeks. But the past three days, I have gotten worse. I have been vomiting, feeling dizzy, having malaise, weak, my whole body in pain and when I went to the doctor on Wednesday, I was close to fainting. The horrible smells of tobacco and the old people irritated stomach so badly in the hospital that my ears popped and I almost fainted. The doctor just asked me my symptoms and told me that I have an upper respiratory infection. I don't believe him. Something else is happening to me.

Today I am a little better but I still am weak and my stomch is griping so I can't eat anything but soft fruits and drink juice and water.

My immune system has weaken. I am at the point where if I get sick even worse (like pneumonia or deadly food poisoning) I'm going back home. I hope nothing here is killing me.

Which hospital did you visit? If you didn't go there, try the Chungnam University Hospital near SeoDaejeon Negeori. They are one of the better hospitals in your area. It's in the area of Costco.

I go to Konyang University Hospital. But something isn't right there, that hospital rubs me the wrong way and it looks like you can get even sicker just standing in it. *puke!* Just to add, a man had a dog in the OB/GYN waiting room. It was a small dog in a bag. How unsanitary.

I will try Chugnam. Yes it's further away from me but I need to see a better doctor.

Yeah, according to my gf who is a nurse who studied at Chungnam, it is the ONLY decent hospital in Daejeon. She isn't saying it out of pride because she thought hospitals in Seoul are better, but she said it is the only one that speaks any amount of decent English and is CLEAN.

Try it out. If it sucks, you can come yell at me or something. If you go to Seoul, I would say to go to either Yonsei University Hospital, Asam Hyundai Hospital, Samsung Hospital, or the best, Seoul National University Hospital.

Yes, I will go to Chungnam tomorrow for a second opinion. Konyang University Hospital, something is not right there.  ::)

Did ya visit the hospital? Or after work? All the advice that people here can give you is pretty much not worth taking as seriously as seeing a professional. Most of what people recommend have no scientific basis. Oil of oregano? Show me the scientific paper, not an article online. Vitamin D? Again, scientific paper, but I do suggest taking a multivitamin helps.

FOR MYSELF: I was fairly ill until I started getting outside, exercising, and taking general vitamins including a B-complex. But that is me.

Think about what you eat, what you drink (esp alcohol), what suppliments you take, and how much you are moving outside of work and home. Write it down, and discuss it with the doctor at the hospital.

Write down ALL symptoms. Seriously, these little things help doctors more than you can imagine. One additional piece of information can be the difference between the wrong and right diagnosis.

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
My sympathies to the OP. Harpeau, where do you get your vitamins? I originally brought D3 with me, but need some other things too. I've found that if I get a cold, which I do often here, Echinacea and Vit C work wonders with lots of water.

How much D are you taking? I haven't had a cold in two years taking between 1000-4000iu a day.

I take a 5000iu tablet from Metagenics. I used to work for an alternative health chiropractor/nutritionist who recommended I take a high amount b/c my D levels were low. Whenever I would get a cold he would give me Echinacea and Vit C. I also took a multi-vit/protein breakfast replacement shake in the mornings. I'm looking online to order more of that. I agree with others on here that being around sick children all day, on top of new food for our system, on top of horrible air, on top of mold can wreak havoc on many of us. I too have had a sore throat/swollen tonsils in the mornings for the past month or more. Not fun, but I'm no where near as bad as some posters here. I wish you all health.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
Did ya visit the hospital? Or after work? All the advice that people here can give you is pretty much not worth taking as seriously as seeing a professional. Most of what people recommend have no scientific basis. Oil of oregano? Show me the scientific paper, not an article online. Vitamin D? Again, scientific paper, but I do suggest taking a multivitamin helps.

FOR MYSELF: I was fairly ill until I started getting outside, exercising, and taking general vitamins including a B-complex. But that is me.

Think about what you eat, what you drink (esp alcohol), what suppliments you take, and how much you are moving outside of work and home. Write it down, and discuss it with the doctor at the hospital.

Write down ALL symptoms. Seriously, these little things help doctors more than you can imagine. One additional piece of information can be the difference between the wrong and right diagnosis.

I agree with that! Most people who are advising you probably have never heard of regression to the mean. Anyone who thinks that taking high doses of vitamin C will help with their cold or that "oil of oregano" is going to help with your symptoms on anything but the psychological level - ie, it might work a little if you believe it will work - needs to read Ben Goldacre's book, "Bad Science."
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline shkim85

• Adventurer
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »
I'm also just recovering from severe swollen tonsils/sore throat/coughing. I'm at my second week and right as I was recovering I started throwing up all night/early morning.
I think it's from stress, being tired, raising my voice/talking out loud everyday, something I'm not used to. Also, spring is a common season to get these kind of illnesses, especially with the air here being so dirty and polluted.

Offline cobbo75

• Explorer
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
You live in Daejeon? I went to the International Clinic at Eulji University Hospital when I had gastroenteritis. Very good. Apparently, Eulji is the biggest hospital in Daejeon.  It's close to City Hall and E-mart in Dunsan-dong. Anyway, if I were you, I'd ring up and make an appointment somewhere.
Don't attempt to self-diagnose. It's possible you may have one of the colds/flu going round, and at the same time be having trouble with all the white rice and/or chilli, but I'm not a doctor. So you should see one.

Offline adriansergiusz

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »

I agree with that! Most people who are advising you probably have never heard of regression to the mean. Anyone who thinks that taking high doses of vitamin C will help with their cold or that "oil of oregano" is going to help with your symptoms on anything but the psychological level - ie, it might work a little if you believe it will work - needs to read Ben Goldacre's book, "Bad Science."

I love it, thank you voices of reason! I've heard so much bunk and quackery and buzz words like "toxin" "herbs" "natural" "vitamins" "alternative".  There is such a thing called critical thinking. Just because you take oil of oregano when you're sick and start feeling better doesn't mean that what it does! CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION!  Please see proper professionals. Seeing a naturopath,homeopath, chiropractor or "alternative" does not count as proper professionals. These people use outdated and unconventional and often dangerous treatments that have close to no scientific viability or truth to them they often treat self-limited ailments (etc pain) Though maybe that's just me, the term itself alternative should set off a bell! Alternative is just that, it's unproven methods. Often they just don't stand up to the science. I emplore people that need help, please see a PROPER professional and get proper advice. Going to a person who claims that he can rearrange your back because he "studied" it or can dilute something beyond any molecular substances and gives it to you and tells you its been around for 200 years and its not harmful "its natural" and calls himself a health practioner doesn't make him so. Please, excerise critical thinking, it is very easy to succumb to the emotional appeal of doing something because it seems "natural and just feels right" doing, and I would recommend thinking twice about highly subjective ancedotal evidence.

And yes Bad Science is a fantastic book, please be informed.

Here is a fantastic website http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ though I would consult your physician for anything serious over any advice given here.

Offline leabea87

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
So sorry to hear about this. Try going to Google and searching for "WebMd." It should help you narrow things down a bit.

Offline Say what?!

• Adventurer
Who else is really sick?
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
I thought this whole yellow dust thing was overblown, but I'm thinking it may actually be making me sick as a dog.  Is anyone else suffering from body aches, severe sore throat, fever, stuffed up nose, headaches, etc.  Usually the common cold goes away in a few days, but I've been suffering from this stuff for over a week.  It's made going to school really painful every day.  When does this yellow dust go away?

Offline ame

• Super Waygook
Re: Who else is really sick?
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »
Yellow dust started on Monday and is all but gone for now.
airkorea.or.kr
It's not likely to be the cause of your ailment.

Likely, you are vitamin D deficient after a long winter and caught a spring cold after months of no sun light. Be sure to take a vitamin D supplement next winter. Also stop eating wheat and other refined carbs.

If he was vitamin D deficient he would have rickets and bone-thinning.  Since when has vitamin D had anything to do with catching a cold?

OP, did you go and see a doctor?

Offline usernamechosen

• Adventurer
Re: Who else is really sick?
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »
The yellow dust hits me pretty bad too....best way in my experience to combat it....GINGER TEA. Seriously, a glass of ginger T a day keeps that lung/throat/eye infection away.

I usually make it in bulk. Just peel and finely chop a small handful of ginger (available everywhere for dead cheap), boil it with some Black Tea for about 30 minutes, let it cool, refrigerate it and then heat it up in the good old microwave each morning. Has a good kick to it and is darn good for you (in moderation)

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment