December 21, 2014, 11:52:02 AM

Author Topic: Constantly sick  (Read 32319 times)

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
Re: What in the heck is happening to me?
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:58 AM »
I used to get nosebleeds a lot as a kid so here's some advice for that.

1. If you can help it, avoid blowing your nose or blowing it with lots of force.
2. Don't stick stuff up there - fingers, Qtips, Chapstick etc.
3. Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water.
4. Use a humidifier.
5. Avoid dry air and high temperatures. Don't sit next to the heater/aircon. Avoid saunas. High temps will make the blood go to your sinuses to cool off, thus making the vessels in your nose dilate and making them prone to nosebleeds.
6. Learn how to properly deal with a nosebleed.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline ame

• Super Waygook
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »
I used to get nosebleeds a lot at one time.  I went to a doctor.  He looked inside my nose and saw a weak blood vessel near the surface of the skin.  He treated it with silver iodide (I think).  This cauterised the blood vessel and fixed the problem.

Offline ame

• Super Waygook
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
7) How do they work. I would recommend Vit. D because at least I can give a plausible explanation as to why it might work.

Vitamin D seems to be your solution to everything.  I'd love to hear your plausible explanation as to why it might work.  I'd also like to know why you need to take a supplement, since Vitamin D is made naturally by the body.

Offline chingu

• Explorer
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
Unfortunately the realm of healthy living is still filled with mysticism and pseudoscience. You have to wade waist deep in BS to pick out a few helpful gems. I see both gems and BS in this thread :) Hope you can find something that works for you!

Remember that your health requires an approach that's both holistic and individual. In short no one but yourself can tell you what works for you. Take charge of your own health. If you don't get better soon I would suggest heading home! There are worse things in life than cancelling a contract and missing out on a few bucks. Your future self will thank you for making the right choice.

Offline Khanate

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2011, 11:16:58 AM »
I had a sinus infection up to last week. I blew blood from my nose along with lots of mucus, had a dry throat, cough, headache, my ears were ringing and felt like "puffed" so I couldn't hear well. Doctor gave me antibiotics and it went away. Sounds like your symptoms are close to mine, so I would not be surprised.

Offline meganekko

• Adventurer
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:01 AM »
7) How do they work. I would recommend Vit. D because at least I can give a plausible explanation as to why it might work.

Vitamin D seems to be your solution to everything.  I'd love to hear your plausible explanation as to why it might work.  I'd also like to know why you need to take a supplement, since Vitamin D is made naturally by the body.

vitamin D is only made by the body if you get adequate sunlight. these days, there's somewhat of an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency going around because so many people spend every minute indoors and cover every inch of their bodies with sunblock when going outside. during the winter months in the northern hemisphere, it's very difficult to get adequate sunlight exposure as it is...

because of my diet (i'm vegetarian but don't drink milk which would be fortified with D), i became D-deficient over the winter a couple years back when i was living in chicago and going to school. i had been spending all of my time working indoors and religiously wore sunblock when i went outside, even in the springtime. by may, i was having terrible insomnia. when i finally went to the doctor, she tested me for D-deficiency and it turned out my levels were dangerously low. it was causing my insomnia because without adequate D, the body can't absorb enough calcium, and without enough calcium your sleep will be disturbed (among other things).

i'm not saying vitamin D is the cure-all for whatever's going on with the OP, but i am saying all of this as a general warning to everyone that D deficiency is becoming a bigger and bigger problem these days, and can cause long-term heath problems. we should be aware of it and take care if needed. and here's a link to webmd for more info:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency

Offline ame

• Super Waygook
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »

Why don't you just google it?

Because there are too many results returned, some of them contradictory.  What I want to know is what specifically *you* have found to support your ideas, or rather, what material you have found that influenced you so profoundly.

That, and you said you could give a plausible explanation as to why it might work.

Offline rahzel

• Explorer
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
The absolute first thing you should do is look around your house for mold/fungi/mildew. Korea, especially with the onset of the rainy/humid season, is notorious for mold. It can cause severe respiratory illness and generally cause havoc on your immune system. Look in the dark corners and especially in your bathroom. You're likely getting sick from something inside of your house. If not, you live next to an industrialized area that has a lot of pollution from the factories that are causing these symptoms.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
As someone who has spent their life battling respiratory and ear infections, all I can say is other posters are right about the water. I had my family send me Mucinex and I drink tons and tons of water. Going to the clinic is exhausting in and of itself, so I usually try lots and lots of rest and and water and a decongestant first. I agree that you should seek a second opinion and try to get them to only prescribe you an antibiotic (if needed, if it's bacterial) and a decongestant (not the usual 14 pill cocktail). If you can get family to mail you stuff, have them mail you mucinex and coldeeze. It has saved me from really serious bedridden infections. I am dealing with a light chest infection now, but since I started on my mucinex I feel a lot better.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Merryone

• Super Waygook
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
if you can't get oil of oregano, try making oregano tea.  I get oregano at home plus

Offline ame

• Super Waygook
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
I'm not trying to be a dick, but what exactly is the active ingredient in oregano that would have any affect on your health beyond placebo?

Vitamin D, of course.  I thought you knew.  It's also found in white rice, which is why you need a supplement.

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
I had a vitamin D defienciency and I am still treating it with taking megadosages of vitamin D. I am from Michigan, the dark epicenter of Hell (Man, I hate that state with every fiber of my being). The one good thing about the East and the amount of sun they get, when they get it.

But I thank everyone for the information. I just have to improve my diet, get exercise (when it isn't crappy weather out), and drink tons of water.

vitamin D is only made by the body if you get adequate sunlight. these days, there's somewhat of an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency going around because so many people spend every minute indoors and cover every inch of their bodies with sunblock when going outside. during the winter months in the northern hemisphere, it's very difficult to get adequate sunlight exposure as it is...

because of my diet (i'm vegetarian but don't drink milk which would be fortified with D), i became D-deficient over the winter a couple years back when i was living in chicago and going to school. i had been spending all of my time working indoors and religiously wore sunblock when i went outside, even in the springtime. by may, i was having terrible insomnia. when i finally went to the doctor, she tested me for D-deficiency and it turned out my levels were dangerously low. it was causing my insomnia because without adequate D, the body can't absorb enough calcium, and without enough calcium your sleep will be disturbed (among other things).

i'm not saying vitamin D is the cure-all for whatever's going on with the OP, but i am saying all of this as a general warning to everyone that D deficiency is becoming a bigger and bigger problem these days, and can cause long-term heath problems. we should be aware of it and take care if needed. and here's a link to webmd for more info:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency

Offline Natalie89

• Explorer
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »
I had a bit of a cold and some allergies with the spring air and yellow dust but the school nurse gave me some traditional Korean meds and in 3doses (1 after every meal) I was completely better just had to blow my nose alot to get rid of the toxins. Im a fan

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I had a bit of a cold and some allergies with the spring air and yellow dust but the school nurse gave me some traditional Korean meds and in 3doses (1 after every meal) I was completely better just had to blow my nose alot to get rid of the toxins. Im a fan

Do you remember the name of the product or how it looked?

Offline ajavid

• Explorer
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
I'm not an expert, but I am a fan of oregano oil. It works well when you have a cold. The only thing is that because everyone is different, you may need to adjust the amount you are taking. Usually you take up to 12 drops in a tablespoon of coconut oil. There are other alternatives though, goldenseal and fresh garlic work really well. Goldenseal is a natural anitbiotic, but can only be taken 2 weeks at a time in strong doses. Grapefruit seed extract was also really great when I had the swine flu. Although I would be interested to hear about the natural Korean remedy...

Offline Destroyerofworlds

• Adventurer
Re: Who else is really sick?
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »
I got allergy issues too, feels like I've had slime dripping down the back of my throat for a month now, I'm pretty sure my abs will be ripped by the time I leave here from all the coughing :P

Not sure if its pollen or yellow dust related but I'm pretty sure its not a virus as my immune system has always been good at fighting off colds and stuff.

I've been thinking of getting a humidifier though and was wondering if anyone can give some advice, do they really help at all?

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »
i am with you on this one too!  I've been sick for almost a week now- sore throat, runny nose, bad cough, bad asthma attacks. Can't speak- no voice.  Teaching is fun this way!

Offline Damien

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Define desinty
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2011, 12:33:15 PM »
My allergies aren't as bad as I thought they would be. My allergies got worse moving across my own state lol. If it rains here, my head does turn into a vice grip though lol.
“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” -Goethe

Offline Ectofuego

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
I have been fighting off a sickness since last friday, I finally beat it.  Been taking these allergy pills this year.  Last year this season game be a bad case of bronchitis so I asked for allergy medicine this time.  It has been working pretty well.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline globetrotter

• Adventurer
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »
Yellow dust started on Monday and is all but gone for now.
airkorea.or.kr
It's not likely to be the cause of your ailment.

Likely, you are vitamin D deficient after a long winter and caught a spring cold after months of no sun light. Be sure to take a vitamin D supplement next winter. Also stop eating wheat and other refined carbs.

If he was vitamin D deficient he would have rickets and bone-thinning.  Since when has vitamin D had anything to do with catching a cold?

OP, did you go and see a doctor?

Google it. Many illnesses can be linked to a lack of vit. D. The literature is small but growing.

agreed about vitamin D, after blood test doc says mine was low, but also work can be a bit stressful since I work really long hours.  Vitamin D is important for energy and general health.  I'm taking omega 3's and multivitamins I bought from costco which are helping a bit.  But yeah I've been here two years and some days I just feel more tired than usual.  Hope the weather starts getting better and air clearer

Recent Lesson Plans

Absent/apathetic co-teacher for camp by Magdalena82
[Yesterday at 10:56:01 PM]

Making 3D snowflakes by Thomas Mc
[Yesterday at 02:23:00 PM]

How the grinch stole christmas 1966 by kitster1
[Yesterday at 10:50:32 AM]

What Was Your Worst Class of the Year Like? by Gekokujou
[December 19, 2014, 06:00:45 PM]

Hollywood Squares- Music Videos by lauragrace
[December 19, 2014, 04:59:57 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade