September 23, 2014, 05:14:37 AM

Author Topic: Korean Police Criminal Record Check  (Read 5708 times)

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Korean Police Criminal Record Check
« on: May 30, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »
Hi, I know this has been a thread before, but I can't find it. SMOE requires a Korean Police check this time around and I want the information from that thread as to the procedure, where and what etc.

Sorry for repeating this, if you don't know the link then please tell me the procedure. Thanks.  :)
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline southernman

• Veteran
Re: Korean Police Criminal Record Check
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 06:11:22 PM »
I'm with EPIK,  I just signed the consent form (giving my permission for the Korean Police to complete the check and send the findings to my POE) at the same time as all the Korean staff at my school. 

That was over two months ago.  Just ask your co-teacher because he/she will have had to have a Police check done on them, it's the law now.

I'd say your Office Manager probably has the necessary forms

Offline ToniV

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »
when i resigned, i saw this too. but my ct said that i didn't have to do anything. that there is a database of all the foreign teachers out there somewhere and this database is used for the police check. so, i'm not going to do anything.
Smile. Pass it on.

Offline Billy

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
I need this information too.

Also...has anyone ever gotten a (Korean) apostille for a Korean document?

Offline allone23

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »
I had a Korean background check done when I started last year (because I was already in Korea when SMOE hired me). All you need is your ARC, and you have to go to a large police station. I went to the police station across from Seoul Station.

The man at the front knew immediately what I was talking about when I told him I needed a background check for teaching English, and he told me which office to go to. Once I got to the office upstairs, the guy ran a check using my ARC number, printed out a form, and had it stamped to make it official all in about 10-15 min. 

Offline Billy

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »
I had a Korean background check done when I started last year (because I was already in Korea when SMOE hired me). All you need is your ARC, and you have to go to a large police station. I went to the police station across from Seoul Station.

The man at the front knew immediately what I was talking about when I told him I needed a background check for teaching English, and he told me which office to go to. Once I got to the office upstairs, the guy ran a check using my ARC number, printed out a form, and had it stamped to make it official all in about 10-15 min.

Was the form in English?

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
http://etis.sen.go.kr/notice/board.do?cmd=view&bcfNo=603469&bNo=60483456

Hello SMOE Teachers,

Here is what you need to know for the Korean police record check (for those renewing in August, 2011):

It is called 범죄경력회보서 in Korean, you will need to go to a large police station (the district level one will be fine) and ask them for it, you will give them your ARC and it should only take a few minuets. There should be no charge. It will probably be best just to write the Korean on a piece of paper and give it to them if you do not speak any Korean.

Medical Check:
This is called a 겅강진단서 in Korean. You must go to a public hospital, a private clinic will be extremely expensive and they do not do all of the tests that a large hospital will. This test must include the HIV and TBPE drug test.

Sincerely,

Jon Pak
Lead Coordinator, SMOE

Offline runthegauntlet

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »
Hi, I know this has been a thread before, but I can't find it. SMOE requires a Korean Police check this time around and I want the information from that thread as to the procedure, where and what etc.

Sorry for repeating this, if you don't know the link then please tell me the procedure. Thanks.  :)

Wow, this is the first I've heard of something like this. Does it apply to EPIK as well?

I'm planning on resigning in Oct.. I'm from the States but got in before the federal background check rule went into effect.and have been a bit anxious about having to sort out the fingerprint, FBI CBC, and apostille thing from Korea. Just getting a Korean check would be a lot less hassle (and makes a lot more sense since this is where I've been for three years). I've asked my coteacher about it but she still isn't sure of anything.

Any ideas?

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
Not sure about EPIK, but SMOE got Immigration to put the apostillising, criminal record check put on hold till 2012. Now with the latest documents for those of us who are re-signing now for September, we have to have a Korean Criminal Record check.

Contact Korvia, recruiting agents, in Seoul, they deal with EPIK and they will tell you what is going on.

Good luck
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline runthegauntlet

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 12:27:11 AM »
Not sure about EPIK, but SMOE got Immigration to put the apostillising, criminal record check put on hold till 2012. Now with the latest documents for those of us who are re-signing now for September, we have to have a Korean Criminal Record check.

Contact Korvia, recruiting agents, in Seoul, they deal with EPIK and they will tell you what is going on.

Good luck

Yeah, just read up on the SMOE bit. Might give Korvia a shot and see what they have to say.

Cheers for the info.

Offline runthegauntlet

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 12:49:24 PM »

Good luck

Yeah, just read up on the SMOE bit. Might give Korvia a shot and see what they have to say.

Cheers for the info.

To update, I did have to sign a consent to have a Korean background check done.

To resign, I do not have to have a FBI check done even though I don't have one on file. I'm resigning for Oct.

Offline Koenji

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »

Good luck

Cheers for the info.

To update, I did have to sign a consent to have a Korean background check done.

so no trip in person down to the police station is needed?

Offline runthegauntlet

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:11:16 PM »

so no trip in person down to the police station is needed?

Guess not. I was told it was the same thing all the Korean teachers had to sign, but I really don't know. No other mention of it so it looks like it's all sorted.

Offline DMZ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 12:00:21 AM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Korean criminal record check OUTSIDE of Korea, from the embassy in my home country for example? I'm going to need it next year but I can't get it while I'm here now because it can't be older than 3 months.

Offline southernman

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 02:10:31 PM »

Wow, this is the first I've heard of something like this. Does it apply to EPIK as well?

I'm planning on resigning in Oct.. I'm from the States but got in before the federal background check rule went into effect.and have been a bit anxious about having to sort out the fingerprint, FBI CBC, and apostille thing from Korea. Just getting a Korean check would be a lot less hassle (and makes a lot more sense since this is where I've been for three years). I've asked my coteacher about it but she still isn't sure of anything.

Any ideas?

Yes it applys to EPIK as well,  you must have missed my post after the OP's

Offline cruisemonkey

• Expert Waygook
  • You could be next!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
I'm glad at least one person was able to 'figure out' (sort of) the Republic of Korea and the U.S.A. are two different countries.  ::)
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Offline lind.will4

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
Hi!

I'm going through this now since I'm applying to EPIK from Korea. This is a link to a blog that spells out what you need to do to get the FBI check, tells you what to do to also get the apostille, and gives English speaking numbers to help you out. This may or may not be late (didn't check the date on this thread :P), but I figured it would be helpful for people in the future.

http://kasham.wordpress.com/2011/05/30/guide-to-getting-your-fbi-criminal-background-check-while-in-korea/

Recent Lesson Plans

Task-Based Language Teaching in Foreign Language Contexts by probablylauren
[Today at 02:48:29 AM]

"It was her" vs "It was she" by philby1985
[Yesterday at 08:07:51 PM]

Animal Rights Lesson by DNR0311
[Yesterday at 06:29:59 PM]

Need some fresh reading and writing activities by SamanthaB
[Yesterday at 05:59:23 PM]

Board game templates by Paul
[Yesterday at 05:53:19 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade