August 30, 2014, 05:10:26 PM

Author Topic: Beauty and the Beast lesson plan. Takes 3-5 class periods.  (Read 4912 times)

Offline GLondonful

• Veteran
Beauty and the Beast lesson plan. Takes 3-5 class periods.
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first time sharing a lesson plan on this website.  I hope you find it helpful.

Overview

This is a 3- or 5-week lesson plan based on the Disney version of "Beauty and the Beast."  I showed my students the "special edition" version (the graphics are way better), skipping the song "Human Again" (for time reasons, and also because that song was added later and really doesn't fit with the rest of the movie, imo).  If you take out that song, the movie is about 80 min long.

I showed the movie in English with Korean subtitles.  You can download the movie for about 400W at wedisk.co.kr.

Beauty and the Beast is an awesome classic that features messages like "Beauty is found within" and "Think outside of provincial life; dream big."  A surprising number of Koreans have not seen this movie; I'd say about 90% of my 500 students had never seen it.  ALL of my classes LOVED this movie (some stayed 5-10 min after the bell to finish watching it), and all four of my co-teachers loved this lesson plan, because for the first two weeks, it means lots of free time for the teachers.  ^^  (Note: you may need to get permission from the powers above before showing a full-length movie during your classes, because sometimes they won't allow it.)

There are two lesson plans, one for upper levels and one for lower levels.

Lesson Plan for Upper Level Students:

1.  Week One: Show the first 35-40 min of "Beauty and the Beast," by Disney.  Have students do Worksheet 1.  It's a good idea to stop 5 min before the end of class and have students work on their worksheets, as many of them will skip questions/not do the worksheet at all.  Collect Worksheet 1 and grade it.  Note: Don't write in correct answers for them; just mark incorrect questions and circle unfinished ones.   This encourages them to do the work.
2.  Week Two: Hand back Worksheet 1, ask students to correct mistakes and fill in blank questions.  Hand out Worksheet 2.  Show the next 35-40 min of "Beauty and the Beast."  Collect both worksheets and grade them.
3.  Week Three: If necessary, let students finish watching the movie / finish doing their worksheets.  Go over worksheet answers together (see powerpoint "Beauty and the Beast for A-ban").  In the remaining time, have students read "Beauty and the Beast - a play" as a class.  [Note: I have not yet done this activity with my students, so I can't vouch for the success of this activity and the activities following; I'll update when I have more data.]  Assign one role to each student; have them read the play aloud.
4.  Week Four: Split the class into half.  You take one half and the co-teacher takes the other half.  Each group must put on a performance of the play, with acting, staging, dancing, etc.  There are major speaking roles (Belle, Gaston, the Beast), minor speaking roles, and non-speaking roles (dancing plates, wolves).  Students should be assigned roles according to their English speaking ability and/or confidence with acting in front of the class.
5.  Week Five:  The two groups will take turns acting out the play in front of each other.  (They can bring props/costumes from home if they want.)  If there is time left over afterwards, students can look at idioms from the movie and/or discuss major themes in the movie (see powerpoint "Beauty and the Beast for B-ban").

Update, November 15, 2011: I did try splitting up my classes and having them "stage" the play, but this was not a wildly popular initiative... most of them didn't want to stand up in front of the class and read lines.  We ended up simply reading through the play in most of my A-ban classes... we just assigned roles (which the kids had great fun with... saying things like, "He... Beast!  She... Beauty!" *giggles galore*) and read thru.

Lesson Plan for Lower Level Students:

1.  Week One: Show the first 35-40 min of the movie.  Make sure you tell the students that even though they are watching a movie, this is not a party, this is still class time, and you will be asking them questions about the movie afterwards, so they need to pay attention.  Discourage students from sleeping.
2.  Week Two: Show the next 35-40 min of the movie.  Finish the movie if possible.
3.  Week Three: Finish the movie if necessary.  Hand out "Beauty and the Beast - B-ban worksheet" and "Beauty and the Beast - song lyrics cloze" (it's a good idea to staple them together/print them double-sided).  Have students do the top part of the B-ban worksheet as best they can from memory.  Show them the answers (see powerpoint "Beauty and the Beast for B-ban"), and then teach them the 3 idioms.  Have them write down the Korean definitions of idioms/example sentences on the B-ban worksheet.  Read the slides about Belle and Gaston aloud as a class, and ask CT to translate key words.  Discuss the questions in the next slides in pairs/as a class.  (Depending on English level, meaningful discussion may or may not be possible.  If it isn't, skip to next step.)  Have students listen to the song "Beauty and the Beast" (the worksheet is intended for the Mrs. Potts movie version, not the Celine Dion pop version) and fill in the blanks.  Go over cloze answers together.

Lesson Objectives:

-Exposure to western culture.
-Speaking practice (particularly upper levels).
-Listening practice (particularly lower levels).

Possible later additions:

-It may be possible to write two more weeks' worth of lower level lesson plans based on personality traits of characters in the movie.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:15:38 AM by GLondonful »

Offline globalgourmand

• Adventurer
Re: Beauty and the Beast lesson plan. Takes 3-5 class periods.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
Wow, great work here. I've been showing this film in smaller increments over the last 4 weeks and can attest that they really enjoy the story, most of them have not seen it, even my senior male co-teacher seems to be enjoying it, and it carries some very important messages for young Korean girls.

I wish I had seen this before I started showing the film, I certainly would have used some of the materials you have here. I may still do so! You've done a really nice job addressing a multi-level classroom and I think its pretty appropriate for middle school +/- depending on proficiency. Thanks for sharing.

Offline GLondonful

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:17:39 AM »
Glad you found it useful!  Wow, it's been so long since this lesson... I'd forgotten all about it till I got the email about your post. lol.

Offline CalvinandHobbes

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
Wow, what a lesson. I just think that watching a full movie in class would be a problem with the schools. I was very lucky that my co-teacher said we can do it, but I can imagine that there will be many Teachers that would not be that lucky. Even so, I really like this lesson (more the b-ban than the a-ban). I think for my class thought I'm gonna make a game with questions from the movie. I will try to upload it when I'm done and will add it to your lesson. Thank you very much for this awesome lesson.

Offline mfalleur

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
Wow!!  I love this movie and I love all the materials you created.  I'm so impressed.  I hope my co-teachers will let me show a full length movie!  Thank you so much!

~Molly

Offline Tomlinson2264

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »
This is a great lesson! I was just wondering if you brought the movie from home and if you had Korean subtitles on while they watched? I know that some of my students would be able to watch it without and understand most of it... but then again some would be totally lost.
I really like the worksheets too! The matching pictures are great.

Thanks again!  :D

Offline GLondonful

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
This is a great lesson! I was just wondering if you brought the movie from home and if you had Korean subtitles on while they watched? I know that some of my students would be able to watch it without and understand most of it... but then again some would be totally lost.
I really like the worksheets too! The matching pictures are great.

Thanks again!  :D

Hi there,

I downloaded the movie from a Korean site called wedisk.co.kr.  It cost about 400W and came with Korean subtitles.   You do have to make an account to download from that site, so if you don't read Korean, you might want to ask one of your co-teachers to help.  Moving the file from my laptop to the school PC was a bit of a challenge but the computer lady at my school was able to make it happen.

Hope this helps,
GL

Offline globalgourmand

• Adventurer
My experience with the play.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:49:12 PM »
I found the script to the play very funny but when I tried it out in class today I ran into some difficulties myself so I'll share them with you. I very ambitiously and short-sightedly tried to carry this whole play out with set and props in a single class. What ended up happening was utter mess although I think they mostly enjoyed themselves anyway.  It was a middle school, Grade 1 class; all girls and very mixed level. The girls knew the story well which actually made most of them a little confused about the jimjilbang (despite that I found it a funny twist.) I tried to incorporate a makeshit set with makeshift props (tied a straw hand broom to a belt to be worn by Philippe, clipped a bunch of office supplies together to make Maurice's invention) but in the end, all these logistics only confused things. They were REALLY good sports about it but it was a mess. Some ended up grouping off to chat or sleep and I totally mismanaged it all. My coteacher did his best to help but he has little power over these girls. He helped with translations though since I gave him a copy of the script beforehand.

I may try the play again but I would have the students just stay in their seats and I would probably let them all ready the script as we go along. Maybe I'll put it up on the projector and  I'll probably put Hangul characters next to some of the words or phrases.

Time was not really an issue. Despite that choosing which student would play which character ate up quite a bit of time, and all of the chaos of re-arranging sets and setting things up for every scene, we still finished with about 5-10 minutes to kill in a 45 minute class.

I would also probably re-arrange the character list into 'language required' rather than 'order of appearance' to make casting a bit easier.

I still love this play and the other material but I caution teachers to rethink how they approach the play based on my and GLongonful's experiences.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment