April 26, 2017, 01:35:28 AM

Author Topic: Make a Movie Camp  (Read 45136 times)

Offline rabel10

• Adventurer
Re: Movie Making Camp
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »
I'm doing a similar camp, but all film (no stop motion or anything). They'll be using my gear to do things. I'll post all the PPT's once I've finalized them.

My middle school kids are in to how a movie is made, like each position and what each person does. We'll be breaking those down more.

They are also getting a crash-course into storytelling and screenwriting. I'm asking a 3-5 minute movie from them, and  they'll be writing the script and characters themselves. I'm going to edit the film together for them, mostly because that takes a while and my Mac is the only one that can edit what we'll be shooting.

We already did one of these in my after school class, and the best advice I can give is to just let them go at it. They know what they're doing. Just have them explain exactly what they are doing to you, and make sure you set them up properly. That means explaining things like angles and filming techniques, the lingo...things like that.

Offline alijw

• Adventurer
Re: Make a Movie Camp
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
These topics have been merged so I'm just going to state that mine is for ELEMENTARY.

Used this over the summer, 2 hours a day, for 5 days. Some material was adapted from this site, some new.

Here are the videos - considering there were only 10 hours, I think they're amazing - and I basically didn't help them film, I just added music and edited them afterwards.

"Zombie War 2011"

"Hide and Seek"

"Scary Family"

"My name is Packachu"

Offline alijw

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
Few more materials and a prezi about 'genres'

http://prezi.com/zn-8vpdci0mj/movie-genres/

I made a workbook too but it won't upload unfortuanetly

Offline GreenFloyd

• Veteran
"Camp Hollywood" - Making a Fun Short Movie!
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »
Hello Everybody. I just finished this camp I put together for the last two weeks and I have to say it turned out very well! In two weeks, 40 minutes/day, a small group of students and I made a short movie. This was done in Elementary school, but I think it's highly adaptable to any age level. In fact, I did it in High School last summer and it was a success then as well.

First thing's first. Here are the finished movies:

"The Nojeon Ghost", 5th Grade Elementary Movie

"The Monster of Death", 6th Grade Elementary Movie

"Death Note", 5th Grade Elementary Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSywtxnnhE

How you organize this project is up to you, and I highly suggest organizing it to fit your style, but here's the schedule of how it worked for me, in a 10-day format.

Day 1: Introduce Camp and Icebreaker
Day 2: Movie Idea Brainstorming
Day 3: Script Writing
Day 4: Script Writing
Day 5: Script Writing/Filming
Day 6: Filming
Day 7: Filming
Day 8: Storyboards
Day 9: Editing and Finding Music
Day 10: Movie Party and Oscar Ceremony

I was lucky enough to have a very small group of students in each class (between 5-7), so we were able to make the movie all together as a class. It helps to have them brainstorm in pairs first, and then come together as a group afterwards, especially if the class is not familiar with each other. Script writing was done as a group in my case, with 2 or 3 students generally acting as the leaders and giving the most input for the group.

I can go into more details about each stage if anybody is interested. Overall, it is a fantastic way to do something that lasts beyond the borders of the classroom. I feel that students can remember their camp experience fondly by using English in a creative and unconventional way. Please post your results if you decide to do this!

~~~~~

As I mentioned, I also did this in High School last year. The premise was slightly different (they had to adapt fairy tale characters into a new story), but the project was basically the same. Here are two of the finished products from that camp:

"Irreparable"

"Poor Humpty Dumpty"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:46:46 AM by GreenFloyd »

Offline GreenFloyd

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
Making a short movie with students where they wrote, acted, and edited on their own:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,27890.0.html

Offline felix

• Explorer
Re: "Camp Hollywood" - Making a Fun Short Movie!
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
thanks for sharing! btw, what program did you use for editing?

Offline pistons88

• Adventurer
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »
Hey, I have another question about your stop motion camp. The question is more about windows movie maker. I am thinking of letting my students use their own cameras or cameras on their phones to take the pictures, but I am scared windows movie may not convert or recognize the file. Do you know if windows movie maker is sensitive to the type of picture file? I have not used windows movie maker before and I am nervous the pictures files may not   be the right files.

Offline Brit_1

• Adventurer
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2012, 02:51:26 AM »
I should have updated this a long time ago.

Here are my student's finished movies from the camp. I'm pretty disappointed with the sound quality on a lot of them. My advice would be try and capture with a boom or mic if possible :)

Offline ACofOntario

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »
Hey guys

My school has Windows Live Movie Maker, but it's all in Korean... kinda difficult since I've never used the program before.

Any suggestions?  I've looked on isohunt.com torrents for an English version with no luck. 

Offline danmuzicman

• Explorer
Re: 'Make a movie' camp (Middle and High School)
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
Whoops!  I meant to get back to this months ago!  I have loads of time since my students are studying for final exams next week and I'm settling in for 2 weeks of deskwarming.  If only I had a camp idea for winter that lives up to the way this one was received...!  Okay, here are the PPTs.

Hey I love the PPTs and I wanted to modify this lesson plan. I am sorry to ask this but my school just changed what they wanted me to do for camp tomorrow. They want to change my camp to a movie camp. I don't think they understand how much planning goes into this. Do you have the worksheets that go with this lesson? Like the storyboards and what not? Thanks a lot in advance if you can help me.

Offline jaysoon17

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
This is the stop motion video my students made during Winter Camp. I meant to upload this on the last day of camp, but I guess the first day back for desk warming will have to do. The project could have taken a full week, but I cut it short and put two groups into one video after two and a half days of work, because I sensed they were getting tired of it. In the end, they enjoyed watching the video, and I think it would be a nice 2-3 day project for your next camp.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:11:23 AM by complex303 »

Offline GreenFloyd

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2012, 04:16:12 PM »
Windows Movie Maker on Windows XP. Although when I inevitably do this project again in the future, I will find something else. For the basics it's good enough to do what you need. Video and audio clip chopping and placement. That's all you really need in a program to make a decent short movie, I think. The real work is when you're behind the camera.

Offline JE5N

• Waygookin
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing :)

Offline annieo

• Explorer
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2012, 11:06:03 AM »
I tried making a music video with my upper level elementary class at camp.  Originally I was hoping to get them to act and take pictures or video, but they weren't that motivated.  So they just drew some pictures to go with the song lyrics. I thought they did a really good job with their lyric interpretations, so I put them together with a bit of animation. I also added some sing-a-long style lyrics.  In the end it was way more work for me than it was for them...next time I'll have to work on that.

The song is "Lemon Tree" (of course!)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/La71XmwV274

Offline Willtolive2004

• Explorer
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
I liked this idea, but I am at a school where my Winter Camp had new kids coming and going everyday, so it was hard to do anything consistent and ongoing...... here was my PPT from a one day Movie lesson!

Offline Enders

• Veteran
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
I just started my afterschool class in Middle school and we are going to make a video. All the materials here have been so helpful. When our videos are finished I will post the links for them here and if I create any new material which is not already on this thread, I will post that up too. Cheers guys

Offline xtreme

• Explorer
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »
Hello Everybody. I just finished this camp I put together for the last two weeks and I have to say it turned out very well! In two weeks, 40 minutes/day, a small group of students and I made a short movie. This was done in Elementary school, but I think it's highly adaptable to any age level. In fact, I did it in High School last summer and it was a success then as well.

First thing's first. Here are the finished movies:

"The Nojeon Ghost", 5th Grade Elementary Movie

"The Monster of Death", 6th Grade Elementary Movie

"Death Note", 5th Grade Elementary Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSywtxnnhE

How you organize this project is up to you, and I highly suggest organizing it to fit your style, but here's the schedule of how it worked for me, in a 10-day format.

Day 1: Introduce Camp and Icebreaker
Day 2: Movie Idea Brainstorming
Day 3: Script Writing
Day 4: Script Writing
Day 5: Script Writing/Filming
Day 6: Filming
Day 7: Filming
Day 8: Storyboards
Day 9: Editing and Finding Music
Day 10: Movie Party and Oscar Ceremony

I was lucky enough to have a very small group of students in each class (between 5-7), so we were able to make the movie all together as a class. It helps to have them brainstorm in pairs first, and then come together as a group afterwards, especially if the class is not familiar with each other. Script writing was done as a group in my case, with 2 or 3 students generally acting as the leaders and giving the most input for the group.

I can go into more details about each stage if anybody is interested. Overall, it is a fantastic way to do something that lasts beyond the borders of the classroom. I feel that students can remember their camp experience fondly by using English in a creative and unconventional way. Please post your results if you decide to do this!

~~~~~

As I mentioned, I also did this in High School last year. The premise was slightly different (they had to adapt fairy tale characters into a new story), but the project was basically the same. Here are two of the finished products from that camp:

"Irreparable"

"Poor Humpty Dumpty"

What would you say is the biggest difference between the high school and primary school reaction to this concept?

Offline whanous

• Adventurer
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
This is such a great idea. I did stop-motion with year 7 Science students back home. They absolutely loved it.
Here a nice guide to using stop-mation films: http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/stop-motion-digital-camera/

Offline GreenFloyd

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »
^ Good question. The high schooler's are more capable of making comprehendable plot-flow and were generally enthused to work together. They did not need much help as far as writing the script or filming. The elementary school students were much harder to get working together in a way that feels like they are doing it and not you (the teacher). This was a problem with a few of the elementary school groups, but not with any of the high school groups. Elementary kids needed a lot of guidance in script writing (but not ideas - they came up with a lot of those on their own). The more you give them to do on their own, the better, I found.

It's a challenge to do in Elementary, but very rewarding!

Offline waynesworld

• Explorer
Re: 'Make a movie' camp (Middle and High School)
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »
Whoops!  I meant to get back to this months ago!  I have loads of time since my students are studying for final exams next week and I'm settling in for 2 weeks of deskwarming.  If only I had a camp idea for winter that lives up to the way this one was received...!  Okay, here are the PPTs.

Hey CellarDoor,

In your day 2 PPT you mention a "film pack".  Could you please post this on Waygook?

Thanks, and great job.

Recent Lesson Plans

The UK (part 1 and part 2) by jimwall5
[Yesterday at 06:18:44 PM]

Double Lessons (80 mins) by What?What?
[Yesterday at 04:20:20 PM]

Help with MA dissertation. by Datasapien
[Yesterday at 03:09:43 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment