April 24, 2014, 03:56:37 AM

Author Topic: Connecting Korean Bank Account to PayPal  (Read 12226 times)

Offline cwhetsell

• Veteran
  • Southern Californian teaching ESL in Korea.
Connecting Korean Bank Account to PayPal
« on: November 02, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »
So I've put in all of my bank info and everything that is needed, but PayPal doesn't want to accept my National ID number.... any ideas?

Offline Fanwarrior

• Expert Waygook
Re: Korean Paypal
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:13:46 AM »
Even as a Korean you can't link the account. Well you can link them, but you can't actually transfer money out of them.

Offline Craash

• Veteran
  • one day....
Re: Connecting Korean Bank Account to PayPal
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »

I have an Australian paypal account
and a Korean paypal account.

I easily send money from my Australia bank accounts to my Korean bank accounts
and from my Korean bank accounts to my Australia bank accounts
VIA PAYPAL very easily........

takes 3 days and costs only about $8

Offline Morticae

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 11:23:12 AM »

And how's the exchange rate?

Offline thedsr

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »

I set up a Korean Paypal account with my credit card.  When I went to add the bank account, it still tells me my Korean ID number is not entered correctly, obviously it is....

Offline Craash

• Veteran
  • one day....
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »

And how's the exchange rate?

fine

Offline Dochas

• Explorer
Re: Paypal in Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 11:47:57 PM »
That is not true.  I do not have a credit card, just a MasterCard check card from Nonghyup.  This has let me make some of my bill payments in the US and additionally I was able to sign up for Paypal Korea which I have been able to use for a few different things as well.  It even says if you go into account profile "Debit and credit cards" not just credit cards, and then it shows my check card.

Additionally I found it was a much cheaper way if I just wanted to send a small amount of money home for some reason (for example adding some money to my ps network account without buying game cards from playasia which I was buying with my Korean paypal).  Instead of expensive wire transfer fees on both end, I pay 5-6 bucks and send my US paypal money from my Korean paypal and then have the US paypal deposit it for free in my bank account.

Maybe it doesn't like Korean Visa check cards?  Originally Nonghyup tried to pass off one of those Maestro cards on me too but I said no, it had to be either Visa or MasterCard.  You can try asking for a MasterCard and see if you can get paypal working too.

I do have online banking setup, and I know I had to sign a few things for that.  You may need to include that step if you haven't set up online banking yet.  Especially since verification usually requires a small transaction that you then have to check the exact amount of, which is much easier to do with online banking.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:04:20 AM by Dochas »

Offline Honesty1985

• Waygookin
Paypal problems
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
How can I add my Korean Bank account so I can withdraw funds?
I am having problems with my arc number not being valid.

Thanks!!

Offline Aine1979

• Adventurer
Re: Paypal problems
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »
You can't. I emailed PayPal with the same query, and they only allow Korean citizens to add a Korean bank account or card to a PayPal account. That's why the ARC number is coming up as invalid.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Paypal problems
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »
You can't. I emailed PayPal with the same query, and they only allow Korean citizens to add a Korean bank account or card to a PayPal account. That's why the ARC number is coming up as invalid.

As member Dochas stated, it is possible with certain Korean international check cards (the KEB Global Check card won't work).

According to the latest info, sending money internationally involves a 3.4 - 3.9% fee. So if you're sending $1,000, that's at least $34 in fees. On the bright side, I believe Paypal exchange rates are competitive.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:35:15 PM by Davey »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline 올리버-uh

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »

How did you link your Korean Paypal account to your Korean bank account?

Offline ViktorMestrovic

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
Hana bank does global pay as of May 2013. You can send money via transfer directly to a NON-Korean paypal account which has been verified... so a paypal from Canada, USA, etc. with a bank account attached at any point.  maximum per year is $10,000. I do this for making payments or I can sent the money from there to my korean paypal.. but there's never a problem.  I do it all online after a few clicks of the mouse and entering the security info. There's a very small fee for sending money to paypal that way. The exchange rate from won to USD is as expected from any other banking institute.

Offline joel12

• Waygookin
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 06:03:41 AM »
2/5

The problems with PayPal in Korea are endless.  I do self-publishing in Korea, so let me just outline them, but if you are just purchasing items on the Internet and you have retained your non-Korean credit cards and you haven't been stupid and closed your non-Korean banks, you won't have a problem.

You will run into difficulties getting a Korean credit card.  Don't waste your time at KB and KEB, as I could write a separate page on Korean xenophobia.  You'll have better luck at Shinhan Bank.

The problem is when you try to connect PayPal to a Korean bank, any bank.  The problem has less to do with your Korean bank's unwillingness than with PayPal's stupidity.

I'll just list some of the problems:

1.  PayPal won't give you a functioning Korean phone # for you to connect with get PayPal screw ups taken care of.  Instead, PayPal provides a Korean phone # starting with 65, which is unconnected with PayPal and where they speak not a word of English.

2.  Once you have signed for PayPal Korea, contacting PayPal without having to pay for an international call goes out the window.  That number to PayPal, incidentally, only gets you to their American desk, but I'll give it to you anyway.  It's 1-402-935-2050.

3.  It took 25 separate phone calls and the reason I'm writing this is to save you a lot of time and aggravation, but if do change to a PayPal Korean service, it will take roughly 7 business days for PayPal to send the first 2 small test transactions, which you must confirm.

4.  You'll have more fun trying to get payments out of your Korean PayPal account and you will have to do it manually to move the payments into your Korean bank account.

Offline Ley_Druid

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »
The only way to do it is to make an international Paypal account and then link it to a Korean credit card. That is what I did. If you have been here for over a year, you should qualify for the KEB 2X card.

Offline YoungMin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
This is how I managed to get money to paypal with funds from my Korean bank account.

1. Open a Neteller account. Select Currency of choice. Set address as Korean address.

2. Open a new paypal account. Set address identical to Neteller address.

Now you have the stuff set up and ready to go.

From your Korean bank account send an international bank transfer to your Neteller account. TIME: 1-3 days Fees: 0.

Now you have funds in your Neteller account.

1. Use the virtual credit card to send the money to your Korea paypal account. (this is where address must match).

2. YOU HAVE FUNDS IN PAYPAL INSTANTLY

The next stage of the journey depends what you want to do from here.

1. Buying stuff online will not incur any fees.

But if you want to get that money to a HOME bank account then you will have to SEND it to your HOME paypal account. (Because the address on your Korean account won't match HOME account.)

Fees are around 5% for 200EUR so 190EUR will arrive in your HOME paypal account where you can transfer to your bank account for free.

Job done.

Greatness courts failure.

Offline fly790420

• Waygookin
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »
I suggest you guys to just go to a Hana bank near you and apply for the Globalpay service. I was trying so hard to get my Korean Paypal working, but gave up eventually. Basically there is no way for it to work. As many people mentioned, due to some kind of policies in the banks here.
However, today I went to a Hana bank near my place and set up a Globalpay service.
Super easy to use! and you get your money immediately in your oversea Paypal account.
It only charged me for 3 CAD to send money to my Canadian paypal and about 50 cents CAD to withdraw money from Paypal to local bank account.
Stop wasting your time on setting up a Korean Paypal and go to Hana bank now!

Recent Lesson Plans

TeacherReady by Wintermute
[Yesterday at 10:02:07 PM]

American Sign Language: Alphabet by Aqvm
[Yesterday at 09:28:59 PM]

Connect Four by powelldr
[Yesterday at 09:06:58 PM]

3rd Grade MS Boys Being Disruptive, and an Ineffectual C/T by ESmith4
[Yesterday at 06:37:50 PM]

Super Easy Brainiac Game by drgenderpotato
[Yesterday at 06:25:42 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade