April 24, 2014, 09:08:16 AM

Author Topic: "Find someone who . . ." for elementary and middle school  (Read 6090 times)

Offline Brian

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
"Find someone who . . ." for elementary and middle school
« on: July 10, 2007, 04:15:41 PM »
Very easy and easily-customizable activity, and you'll need to adapt this because I made this for my own classes before summer vacation. 

First I make a worksheet with 7 or 8 questions and 2 or 3 answers for each question.  The students will walk around the room asking their classmates the questions, and if a classmate gives the answer that's on the sheet, they will write their name on the paper. 

Good for:
- first class lessons
- last class lessons
- reviewing
- clothing
- all levels

The one I've attached here is for Grade 6, elementary, but it's just to show you how it works.  You'll have to take a few minutes to customize your own. 

When I do it for a first-class lesson, here's how the class goes:

1) Introduce myself and some basic English classroom etiquette (5 - 10 minute)
2) Pass out the paper, listen-and-repeat the questions, and ask them a few basic questions (10 minutes)
3) Have them do the activity (15 minutes)
4) I do a small bingo game at the end for the last 5-10 minutes.

For the bingo game I have a 4 x 4 grid on the back of the paper.  I have written my name on it, and I will give the students a few minutes to fill in the rest of the blanks with their classmates' names.  If they don't know their classmates, have them look at the "find someone who" activity.  Then I will read out a sentence from the activity, and they will cross off the name from the answer from the bingo card.  (hard to explain, but you and they can figure it out).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:20:17 AM by Brian »
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Visit me: http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com

Offline ShelzC

• Explorer
Re: "Find someone who . . ." for elementary and middle school
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »
Did it this morning and it bombed in my 3rd grade middle school class, but the 1st graders loved it. I think it may have been their attitudes to English, more than the activity and I was able to level most of the class at the same time :) Brilliant

Recent Lesson Plans

TeacherReady by Denevius
[Today at 07:58:18 AM]

American Sign Language: Alphabet by Aqvm
[Yesterday at 09:28:59 PM]

Connect Four by powelldr
[Yesterday at 09:06:58 PM]

3rd Grade MS Boys Being Disruptive, and an Ineffectual C/T by ESmith4
[Yesterday at 06:37:50 PM]

Super Easy Brainiac Game by drgenderpotato
[Yesterday at 06:25:42 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade