November 01, 2014, 12:19:07 AM

Author Topic: Good Ted Talks for Higschool?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline _Omiak_

• Veteran
Good Ted Talks for Higschool?
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:07:38 PM »
So I pretty much have free reign to do whatever I want for my summer camp. One thing that I want to work at is encouraging critical thinking in Korean students. One resource that seems quite good for this is TED. They're some pretty thought provoking talks there and everything they have is available with Korean subtitles.

I thought it might be nice to share which TED talks people thought were intriguing or inspiring. Given that Korean students seem to be so immersed in mobile technology one talk that I think is very apt is this Sherry Turkle talk "Connected, but Alone?"

http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together.html

I also may show this Aaron Huey talk called "America's Native Prisoners of War" It's pretty heavy but I want to show them the sides of America that are generally made invisible by the mainstream international media.

http://www.ted.com/talks/aaron_huey.html

Anyone others you guys might recommend?

Offline Ashanti Teacher

• Explorer
Re: Good Ted Talks for Higschool?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
Do they fully understand ted talks?

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
Do they fully understand ted talks?

Good thing about TED is they provide captions in a variety of languages. So you can put the English up, or the Korean depending on your students (I don't like putting Korean up because they just read it).

Or you can print transcripts and watch the video, then read etc etc
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline TimorousMe

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »
I've used with great success, Frank Warren's talk about his PostSecret.
 http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/frank_warren_half_a_million_secrets.html
We watch the talk, talk about some of the secrets from the video, look at a few more and discuss their reactions to them (you can find more secrets at his website, books, or at postsecretarchive.com).  Then finish by having the students make their own secrets.  (I have a big addressed envelop that they can put the secrets into when they're finished so their secrets stay confidential.) 
Sometimes we also watch the music video for "Dirty Little Secret" by the All-American Rejects, but it's not really necessary to the lesson.

Offline jbaile

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
I love these ideas!!
I think it is so important to cover topics that really engage high schoolers and facilitate conversation. Now that I am at the end of my contract I realize having a conversation with your students is more effective than any lesson or game.

Will use that post secrete idea and the cell phone TED talk.

Offline jbaile

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
oh and I used Rick Elias lessons he learned from his plane crash. I got it from the bucket list thread, but it's a ted talk my kids really got into.
http://www.ted.com/talks/ric_elias.html

Offline JeremyC

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »
Do you know if the captions are written by a program or a human? Some videos on YouTube have captions which are obviously done by a program because they often are gibberish !
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

Offline jbaile

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »
I think the TED organization does them. So you can be pretty sure they'll be correct. The video I showed my class w/ subs was fine

Offline lstephenson556

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
There's one called Printing a Kidney, and one on an electric car, and on hero rats, and women physicians working in a camp in Africa. You can use Korean subtitles.

I also use them when doing teacher training. They spark discussion. I add some discussion questions, and off they go!

Offline jlee2012

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
the ted talk in the first post has this bit of information about the korean subtitle...

"Translated into Korean by Woo Hwang   
Reviewed by Mayyul Cho
Comments? Please email the translators above"

not a program.

Offline Harry Yeong

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »
I usually do this with middle school and it seems to work.  http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/jay_walker_on_the_world_s_english_mania.html

Before hand go over key words and perhaps mind map the argument the man is making about the English language today. I usually ask the students "Why is it important to learn a 2nd language? English or any other language...After the video a few comprehension questions, then students write their goals or why they do or do not want to learn a 2nd language (English or any other.)

Offline CellarDoor

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
We watch the talk, talk about some of the secrets from the video, look at a few more and discuss their reactions to them (you can find more secrets at his website, books, or at postsecretarchive.com).  Then finish by having the students make their own secrets.  (I have a big addressed envelop that they can put the secrets into when they're finished so their secrets stay confidential.) 
Sometimes we also watch the music video for "Dirty Little Secret" by the All-American Rejects, but it's not really necessary to the lesson.

I watched this Ted Talk last night for the first time, and what a powerful project he has created!  I'd love to use this for my students.  I have a question though, for you or anyone else who did this project.  Did you end up mailing the big huge envelope of your students' secrets to Frank Warren's address, or did you just collect and store their finished writings, so their classmates couldn't see?

I'm trying to think about the feasibility of this since I have over 500 students. :)

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »
Wow, I am an avid TED watcher, but I didn't really think about it for high school, until I started teaching high school. I would recommend:

The $8 Billion iPod. You could talk about piracy and ethics. It is a heavy topic, but I think some students who are higher level preparing for a high ranked university could probably follow it.

Offline loved_always

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
I LOVE TED TALKS!

I am so happy that others are using them in their classes as well!  ;D

I would like to strongly recommend the talk by Chimamanda Adichie: The Danger of a Single Story.

I just watched this video for the first time today, and it is so POWERFUL! This is a really important message to share to foster conversation about stereotypes, perceptions of culture, and the importance of telling their OWN stories.

I have noticed that even the most well-intentioned students still have a very specific view of Africa (as most of the world does). This may send shockwaves through anyone who watches it and rock the viewer to their core.

THAT is the power of a great TED talk!

http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html

Offline TimorousMe

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:11:28 PM »

I watched this Ted Talk last night for the first time, and what a powerful project he has created!  I'd love to use this for my students.  I have a question though, for you or anyone else who did this project.  Did you end up mailing the big huge envelope of your students' secrets to Frank Warren's address, or did you just collect and store their finished writings, so their classmates couldn't see?

I'm trying to think about the feasibility of this since I have over 500 students. :)

I always meant to mail the secrets in, but I haven't yet.  So for now they just sit in an envelope in my apartment, but  I feel confident that I definitely probably will someday. 

Offline RoseLinda

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
Love TED.

My students really got into Ric Elias in my bucket list lesson.

I am intending to use the talk by Amanda Palmer (from Dresden Dolls). She talks about performance art, making a connection with strangers, trust, and the importance of being able to make eye contact, and all sorts of good stuff like that. It's quite long, but I would just use sections.

The TED-ED section has some interesting stuff actually aimed at students, including topics like metaphor and irony.

I've also been watching the 're-imagining school' series - interesting for me, but I also like to challenge students to think about education, and consider what could improve their education. (You know, so they don't internalize 'failure' in the same way).
iherbs promotion code;  WTL910 .
New customers will receive $10 off their first order of $40 or more, or take $5 off orders less than $40

Offline redsoup

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
RE: Jay Walker's talk on 'English Mania'

I used this lesson before and will be doing it again next week for my higher level classes. It's been a big success in the past.

I posted the materials I used here:
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,5244.msg191832.html#msg191832

Offline shanemac

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
If anyone was doing something on the environment or climate change then this talk might stir up some discussion. It's a pretty amazing project too:

Allan Savory: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change

I haven't used it yet with my high school students but I plan to in after school classes in the future.

Could start with a brainstorm about what dangers we face as a race etc. and move into possible solutions.

Offline mr_cabeza_magica

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »
Thanks for the Ted suggestions.
I really like the 'half million secrets' lesson idea. ;D
Ted talks are a brilliant resource for intermediate/advanced students.  They can provoke some interesting discussion.
Here is a link for some TED talks to use with your teacher workshops: http://esltedtalks.blogspot.kr/

Offline bird212

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
How did you get the students to write down their secrets while they are sitting next to each other?  I love the idea but I teach at a girls high school and they are always up on each other.  Plus the seating in the English lab at my school is four girls to a long table so they don't have any separation by desk. Any suggestions?
Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment