Read 5701 times

• Tgoh
  • Explorer

• September 27, 2010, 12:08:09 pm
    • Jecheon. Chungchungbukdo, South Korea
Trying to ship a computer back home
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:39:55 pm »
As topic stated, I'm currently leaving Korea in the next week, and I need a way to ship my computer back to Australia. It's a desktop, so quite chunky (maybe 50cmx50cmx25cm), and a couple of monitors.

I've called the post office and FedEx, and they say that they won't ship it because it's "unsafe", however I have heard of people doing so before...

I know for a fact that taking it through the airport is just asking for my computer to be destroyed by the handling.

So far current suggestions include:
Padding a huge box and just sticking it in there.
Leaving it behind (T.T)
Breaking it up and just carrying the pieces

Has anyone else here had any experience with this? Any and all advice would be appreciated ^^

Re: Trying to ship a computer back home
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:08:58 pm »
I'm also curious about this.

I assume that I would just sell it when I left but I would love to take it home and my monitor as well.

Have you looked further into flying it home? There is the "fragile" section of baggage and if you packed it well enough it maybe ok. Maybe disassemble some parts HDD etc and pack them well.

It sux that FEDex etc wont take it but maybe you cold send the tower with the motherboard, power, DVD drive and take the other parts out and pack them with you. At least you minimize damage potential.

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »
with the korean postal service, they will help you pack it with bubble wrap and what not, but they will not insure it.  I had a desktop comp sent here 2 years ago, no monitor included.  I paid around 250 for shipping.  I would imagine it would be half that to send home, minus the monitors
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• hanndan
  • Adventurer

• March 15, 2011, 06:52:04 pm
    • Dongtan, Suwon
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:27:41 pm »
I did the same thing a couple of years ago.

I sold the monitor ( I figured it was more cost effective to sell than ship and I bought a replacement second hand one in the UK -also losing risk of damage to the screen in shipping)
I dismantled the PC gave away the case (these are very cheap and easy to replace) and took home the motherboard intact with processor /fans....separate hard drives, memory and graphics card in my personal luggage)
So when I got home I bought a new case and monitor and was back on my computer

If you want to ship anything home , best ship clothing and books etc. these are less valuable and less prone to damage. I shipped mine via sea frieght (it was cheap around 100,000 won, it took a month but was fine. Be warned though is quite risky so only cheaper stuff..

Is always worth doing cost/ weight calculations about your stuff.

Just my take on it...good luck

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:17:02 pm »
As topic stated, I'm currently leaving Korea in the next week, and I need a way to ship my computer back to Australia. It's a desktop, so quite chunky (maybe 50cmx50cmx25cm), and a couple of monitors.

I've called the post office and FedEx, and they say that they won't ship it because it's "unsafe", however I have heard of people doing so before...

I know for a fact that taking it through the airport is just asking for my computer to be destroyed by the handling.

So far current suggestions include:
Padding a huge box and just sticking it in there.
Leaving it behind (T.T)
Breaking it up and just carrying the pieces

Has anyone else here had any experience with this? Any and all advice would be appreciated ^^

It would cost an arm and a leg to ship.
If you are in Seoul I can help.
PM me if you need help.

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:41:37 am »
I sold the monitor ( I figured it was more cost effective to sell than ship and I bought a replacement second hand one in the UK -also losing risk of damage to the screen in shipping)
I dismantled the PC gave away the case (these are very cheap and easy to replace) and took home the motherboard intact with processor /fans....separate hard drives, memory and graphics card in my personal luggage)
So when I got home I bought a new case and monitor and was back on my computer

I did this too, to get my PC from the UK to here. I took all the internal components in my hand luggage, wrapped very well in anti-static bags and bubble-wrap. There was a bent capacitor on the motherboard but that was taken care of easily and cheaply and everything else was fine. If you know how to assemble a computer, I suggest doing this.

[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:13:04 am »
We brought an all-in-one desktop computer to Korea in checked baggage, packed really, really, really well.  It survived. 

Your best bet for a tower/monitor combo is probably to disassemble it as other posters have suggested, though. 

• Tgoh
  • Explorer

• September 27, 2010, 12:08:09 pm
    • Jecheon. Chungchungbukdo, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:22:58 am »
Quick update on the situation:

I called FedEx myself and asked for the an English speaker, and they said they CAN organize shipping for a computer, with insurance to boot! I have no idea why they told my co-teacher they couldn't, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

For 30kg it's going to cost about 420,000won for those who are interested. Insurance is extra but only a little, and apparently they can send a courier to pick it up from Jecheon, which is where I am.

I'm most likely just going to back everything up then pack the whole lot in and send it, given there is insurance. However, I have been told that taking just the hard drive out and hand carrying that may be a good idea. Anyone got any advice on how to go about that? I'm thinking that I can get anti-static bags at a computer shop, would bubblewrap and some clothes be enough padding for hand luggage?

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 06:32:30 pm »
Quick update on the situation:

I called FedEx myself and asked for the an English speaker, and they said they CAN organize shipping for a computer, with insurance to boot! I have no idea why they told my co-teacher they couldn't, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

For 30kg it's going to cost about 420,000won for those who are interested. Insurance is extra but only a little, and apparently they can send a courier to pick it up from Jecheon, which is where I am.

I'm most likely just going to back everything up then pack the whole lot in and send it, given there is insurance. However, I have been told that taking just the hard drive out and hand carrying that may be a good idea. Anyone got any advice on how to go about that? I'm thinking that I can get anti-static bags at a computer shop, would bubblewrap and some clothes be enough padding for hand luggage?

Damn. I have to say I think  that's a lot. It's almost the cost of a semi decent tower. But it's kinda convenient I guess. Let us know how it goes when you get home.