Read 43936 times

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
Sending Money Home with NH (Online Instructions Included)
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:33:34 am »
Call 1588-2100 (ext 730) for English. Tell them where you live and ask where the nearest branch is that deals with overseas remittance.

Note that if you want to send money ONLINE, you must inform them  at the branch (simply getting online banking will NOT automatically make online overseas remittance work). Again, not all branches can register you for online overseas remittance, which is why I stated you should call NH to see which branch in your area can.

When you go to the branch, you'll need the following:

Passport
ARC
Bankbook (or cheque/check card)
A Korean (optional, but recommended)

You'll need your home bank info (swift code, account number, etc.) AND passport number with you whether you plan to send money home via online banking or at the branch.  Your bank info (swift code, etc.) can be usually Googled--if not, call them for it. It's usually a lot cheaper to send money via online banking so let them know you want to do send money home via Internet banking.

Fees depend on how much and where you're sending the money so it's best to ask the call center/centre representative about the details.

Online Banking

PowerPoint Guide:

Attached is a guide on how to send money home via online with NH(thank waygook.org member gangwon).  While the info. is specifically for Brits, the general idea is the same. Read below if you're from Canada or the US.

Canadians

I simply entered the institution number, transit number, and account number in the "Bene. Account" field in the form of xxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxx, respectively. You'll also need the following:

Name under the Account (usually yourself)
Address under the Account

Bank's name
Routing/Transit #

To expedite the process:

Swift code
Bank address

(Try using the swift code search function provided by NH. Otherwise, you'll need to dig the info yourself.)

Your home bank may charge you for the transfer; PC/CIBC dings me $10. Call your bank to find out exactly how much.

Americans

You'll need the following info:

Account number
Name under the Account (usually yourself)
Address under the Account

Bank's name
Routing/Transit #

To expedite the process:

Swift code
Bank address

(Try using the swift code search function provided by NH. Otherwise, you'll need to dig the info yourself.)

IMPORTANT: Only Internet Explorer works with NH's site.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:52:17 pm by Davey »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• anthony21
  • Explorer

• September 02, 2011, 08:57:40 am
    • United States
Re: Sending Money Home with NH
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:24:18 am »
Not sure if this is true or not but when I went to NH bank they told me in order for me to do online banking I would need to register online within 3days. Unfortunately my Internet wasn't working so I wasn't able to get online and it seemed like there web site wasn't working either. Do they shut down and update there web site at certain hours? I couldn't find the Global banking tab either.... I'm so confused and I hope maybe I can try after work today and login without having to go back to NH bank.....
Any feed back would help
Thanks

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

Re: Sending Money Home with NH
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »
Not sure if this is true or not but when I went to NH bank they told me in order for me to do online banking I would need to register online within 3days. Unfortunately my Internet wasn't working so I wasn't able to get online and it seemed like there web site wasn't working either. Do they shut down and update there web site at certain hours? I couldn't find the Global banking tab either.... I'm so confused and I hope maybe I can try after work today and login without having to go back to NH bank.....
Any feed back would help
Thanks

First, use Internet Explorer. Second, look at the top-right corner for the Global banking link.

Online banking functions (e.g., transferring money) disable after midnight, but you should still be able to login.
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

• jungl3tt3
  • Adventurer

• September 08, 2011, 07:44:06 am
    • Pohang, Gyeongbuk, south Korea
Re: Sending Money Home with NH (Online Instructions Included)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:27:19 am »
I know this is a little off topic, but do you need your passport to go open an account with NH?

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:01 am »
I know this is a little off topic, but do you need your passport to go open an account with NH?

No (ARC is sufficient, but if you want to do overseas remittance, yes.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

Re: nonghyup bank international bank transfer with online banking
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:34:35 pm »
Has anyone figured this out? Do I have to have one of the major US Banks back home like Bank of America, Chase, or HSBC because there is a list and my small regional bank is not on it. I went into the branch yesterday and filed for online banking and signed it up on my computer at school today. But now I am wondering if I need to switch from my small Florida regional bank to one of the 4 American banks that you must choose from when you go to do international bank transfers.

aye-gooo, so confusing!

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,19349.0.html

You can enter the bank info. manually. I would call NH (click the link above for the number) if you have more questions.

• amya
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 09:55:40 am
    • Yeoju
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:16:37 pm »
After I signed up for online banking and have logged on and tried to send money I've been told that I have to register the person who I want to send money too.

Register the person in Korea where I want to send money too..... -_____- This will be the 3rd time I've had to go BACK to the bank to take care of getting an account.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »
After I signed up for online banking and have logged on and tried to send money I've been told that I have to register the person who I want to send money too.

Register the person in Korea where I want to send money too..... -_____- This will be the 3rd time I've had to go BACK to the bank to take care of getting an account.

As stated, overseas remittance isn't automatically enabled when you register for online banking--it's a separate registration process. You have to ask your home branch to enable it.

• amya
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 09:55:40 am
    • Yeoju
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:38:56 am »
I know, I told them that when I went in the second time. I filled out 3 different types of forms. I guess they just didn't understand what I meant.

So just make sure people that you're signing up for everything all at once!

• pjhow2000
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2011, 07:06:07 am
    • korea
bank fees for sending money home for the first time-UK related
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:21:16 am »
Hi,

I sent 300 pound home to a UK account (Lloyd's) with NH bank for the first time.  On the website, the bank charged me a fee of 5000 Won but my Dad only received 285 pound.  As a newbie to Korea, can anybody tell me if this is standard procedure or not please.  I know that there is a bank fee but I didn't expect to pay it twice

Thank you

Re: bank fees for sending money home for the first time-UK related
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:56:32 am »
well it could be that the bank teller didnt tell you that there was a fee that was taken out of the 300 pounds. i sent money home from nh bank and i had to add about $40 on top of $1,000 i sent home before.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

Re: bank fees for sending money home for the first time-UK related
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:23:20 am »
Hi,

I sent 300 pound home to a UK account (Lloyd's) with NH bank for the first time.  On the website, the bank charged me a fee of 5000 Won but my Dad only received 285 pound.  As a newbie to Korea, can anybody tell me if this is standard procedure or not please.  I know that there is a bank fee but I didn't expect to pay it twice

Thank you

If you look carefully at the web site, another fee is charged; this fee depends on the amount sent as well as the currency (e.g., the fee to send USD is $20 USD if I remember correctly vs $10 CAD to convert into Canadian dollars). Additionally, as mentioned in the post, your home bank will almost certainly charge you fee. Call your home bank to see how much they charge to receive international transfers.

• Rcraig88
  • Explorer

• October 30, 2011, 01:34:09 pm
    • Pohang
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 02:37:42 pm »
I tried clicking on the American NH link and it did not work. Is there another way to get the information that was posted on the blog?

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 10:42:06 am »
I tried clicking on the American NH link and it did not work. Is there another way to get the information that was posted on the blog?

Download the PowerPoint attachment. It's essentially the same for Americans except the "Bank Code or other info." I'd call NH and ask what info they require for American banks. But swift code and account numbers are essential.

• aob101
  • Explorer

• November 04, 2011, 11:14:42 am
    • Jeju
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 11:32:12 am »
This is great - we've been trying to find a decent service to send money home. Travel FX is good for sending money abroad from the UK apparently...

Help with NH Overseas Remittance
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 12:34:13 pm »
I am attempting to make my first transfer to Bank of America but the NH website keeps asking me for my "account pin."  I entered it for my NH account but I do not know what to enter for my BoA checking account.  I entered the PIN for my debit card but that didn't work.

Help!

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

Re: Help with NH Overseas Remittance
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »
I am attempting to make my first transfer to Bank of America but the NH website keeps asking me for my "account pin."  I entered it for my NH account but I do not know what to enter for my BoA checking account.  I entered the PIN for my debit card but that didn't work.

Help!

You enter your NH pin in that field. Your BOA pin is not necessary, although you will need to enter your BOA information (account number, etc.) in the appropriate fields.  Read the first post above.

• bmcass
  • Waygookin

• October 04, 2011, 03:08:56 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 09:13:31 am »
Thanks so much for this post!  I'm dreading having to send money home, as this entire process of getting all the logistics in place has been tedious.

I do have a question about the bank branch and address, however.  I used the handy drop down menu feature to search for the SWIFT code of Citibank.  When it asks for the bank name and branch address, does it matter what branch address we use?  Can we just use the bank's HQ address, or is it absolutely necessary to use the address of our local branch in our hometown?

Also, how long does it take for the money to transfer and show up in your home account?

Does anyone happen to know how much Citibank charges to receive incoming transfers? :)

Thanks again for your help.

Best,
bmcass

• bmcass
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 09:41:14 am »
I just answered my own question regarding the Citibank charges for incoming transfers.  According to the live representative I chatted with, Citi charges a $10 processing fee for incoming wire transfers, and they take approximately 2-7 business days to complete.

• bmcass
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 06:58:40 pm »
I should also add that, if you have Citibank, according to their website, you'll need to include the ABA number of New York along with the ABA number of your local branch area (both are available on Citi's website in the FAQ section).