Read 9114 times

• smithdoi
  • Adventurer

• October 01, 2010, 10:33:22 am
    • Yong-in, South Korea
WHAT TO BRING STUDENTS FROM THE US
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:26:24 am »
I'm going home Christmas for 2 weeks.  I want to bring things back for my students (elementary) and/or teachers.  I was thinking CHEESE.  Or is there something I make at home that I can bring?  I want it to be sort of PURELY american (or at least NOT Korean..like cheese). Tootsie rolls they have here, I think.  I can't buy everyone shirts.  buttons?  stickers is a NO. Any ideas?  Students always say t-shirts...cost prohibitive.  A few Dr. Seuss books?  I'm not sure what they have here and DON'T have here.  Starburst maybe?  Smelly markers?  Jelly belly's?  Food seems cheapest, best idea but WHAT?  I'm taking ANY AND ALL IDEAS.  Thank you!

• renard.tami
  • Adventurer

• October 26, 2010, 11:45:44 am
    • Seoul, Korea
Re: WHAT TO BRING STUDENTS FROM THE US
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 10:37:51 am »
I was thinking of a few things:

MONEY!  obviously not to give them, but enough dollar bills and coins for all of the students to see.
Twizzlers
Cheesecurds

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'll let you know what other ideas I come up with!

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:41:44 am »
What I have done in the past at my old school was I went to the Dollar store and I picked up some cheap things like stickers, key rings, little flags and whatnot. Candy that they don't have here is always a great choice because "if" they eat they will talk about it a lot and it is a great experience for them

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 11:00:21 am »
One that I like is two dollar bills and half dollar coins.  Students may know about the typical money that you could normally find.  However, these are quite unique and the students will really cherish them.  In Korea, it is thought that a two dollar bill will bring good luck and fortune from what I hear.  I use those for the best prizes when I have them.  I bet you could just call your bank in advance and ask them to order you  as many of each as you'd like and when you show up, they would probably have them available.  Also, milky ways and candy canes (since it's around Christmas and they'll probably be on sale when you go home.) Have a great vacation!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• Sara
  • Featured Contributor

• September 01, 2010, 08:58:35 am
    • Chungcheongbukdo
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 11:21:16 am »
It really depends on the age of your students. They might like pennies or American candy (they don't have reeses here) if they're younger.

If they're older they may like American magazines (to look at) or food (to sample). Also, you could always bring back ingredients you can't find over here and make some kind of food. Example - pumpkin pie.

• JuliusCaesar108
  • Featured Contributor

• March 21, 2010, 08:28:10 pm
    • Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:18:54 pm »
Something like good cheese you get in America can be purchased from http://www.ezshopkorea.com  (No, I'm not the owner and I don't get a cut or reward for referring you there - it's a great site for foreign goods).  It's probably best to order it from there than bringing it back unless if you have an efficient way to keep it refrigerated in the flight.

One thing I did when it comes to money is to give your co-teacher and (vice) principal some coins in a coin flip (http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/supersafe-safety-flips-2x2.html), add a message in one side a personalized note (like 'you're awesome') in cardstock paper and what the name of the coin is (like penny, nickel, dime, and quarter).  They will appreciate a foreign coin collection!

The rare thing for anybody that even EZShopKorea can't really keep in stock are graham crackers, jet-puffed marshmallows (you can get from EZShopKorea), but you can find Hershey's Chocolate anwywhere.  Make some S'Mores for a culture day or something.

I could go on ... but this video can also give you ideas http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=simonandmartina#p/u/54/ZjIr-GjQWiw
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:20:44 pm by JuliusCaesar108 »
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar

• pez
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 28, 2010, 01:25:59 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 12:30:25 pm »
If you have a lot of students, warheads (the realllly sour ones) are ridiculously cheap and kids (it seems all over the world) go crazy about them.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 12:50:09 pm »
Incidently, Jelly Bellies are available by the bucket at Korean Costco, so save your weight allowance by buying locally.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• GreenFloyd
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2010, 06:56:23 pm
    • Hyeonpung, Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 12:52:34 pm »
WARNING: They hate red licorice!!!

It was actually a really hilarious scene seeing all my students' reactions after giving it to them.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:03:13 pm »
I'm going home Christmas for 2 weeks.  I want to bring things back for my students (elementary) and/or teachers.  I was thinking CHEESE.  Or is there something I make at home that I can bring?  I want it to be sort of PURELY american (or at least NOT Korean..like cheese). Tootsie rolls they have here, I think.  I can't buy everyone shirts.  buttons?  stickers is a NO. Any ideas?  Students always say t-shirts...cost prohibitive.  A few Dr. Seuss books?  I'm not sure what they have here and DON'T have here.  Starburst maybe?  Smelly markers?  Jelly belly's?  Food seems cheapest, best idea but WHAT?  I'm taking ANY AND ALL IDEAS.  Thank you!

do you have a costco membership? if so, either buy the candy at a costco in Korea (lots of imported american snacks not found in Korean supermarket stores) or the US. either way, i think you should buy it at costco since you need to give to lots of people.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:24:30 pm by daveyc18 »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 01:07:12 pm »
WARNING: They hate red licorice!!!

It was actually a really hilarious scene seeing all my students' reactions after giving it to them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

They hate the black ones even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 01:09:31 pm »
I brought a lot of stuff from the U.S. for the kids when I came here and here's what worked and didn't:

* American candy works. Especially halloween style packs like Nerds, Lemonheads, etc. Basically they like these little packages of candy that have lots of little candy in them because they can share with their friends.
* Chocolate they love, but there is chocolate everywhere here so no need to bring
* Little souvenirs like the dollar store idea above
* The penny thing is actually true. You wouldn't think it, but one of my kids found a random penny during the weekend and on Monday he was really excited about it.

Cheese is not something I'd bring for three reasons: 1) a lot of Koreans don't like it (shocking! i know!) because they say it is "salty." 2) You can get cheese at Costco 3)the refrigeration problem above

• kaymac
  • Super Waygook

• September 25, 2009, 03:53:47 am
    • Yeosu
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »
I got books of English stickers from a dollar store, even my high school kids like them (well the girls at least). Reese's for sure is a good idea. i have students who get a kick out of trying "Canadian" gum. Maybe hubba bubba or something of the like?

• jchoe
  • Adventurer

• November 02, 2010, 10:29:20 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:44 am »
Silly Bandz is a possibility. I haven't tried it, but American kids love them and I haven't seen any here so it might be of interest.

*Also: buying things from the dollar store seems like a tempting idea, but don't forget almost EVERYTHING from the dollar store is made in China...so at least make sure there is not obvious sticker...or that they don't sell it at the little convenience store across from the school. It would probably be a bit of a bummer if they thought they were getting something great from an their teacher's country, and...NOPE!

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:08 am »
dollar stores are so great in North America yep :)
but yeah, be careful what you bring cuz some stuff is cheappppppppppp (bad quality).
Imagine if a student finds out what you brought them was the cheapest, worst quality goods
from your country that only cost $1.  :)

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 12:23:31 pm »
I second the Warheads.  My kids adore them.  The pucker face they make when they first sample a candy that's exceptionally sour on the outside is PRICELESS.

If you really want them to hate you, you might also go with root beer candy or anything licorice flavored -- super gross, to them.  For the "do you want some more?" lesson, I actually gave a bunch of my kids salmiakki (SALTED licorice -- WHY do Finns like that stuff?) in order to elicit a "no, thanks." 

But yes, Warheads.  They like the Warheads.  English stickers (not for your kids, but maybe for other teachers checking this thread for inspiration).  Little flags.  Patriotic trinkets.  Shiny pennies.  (My kids found a Thai quarter or equivalent, and it was FASCINATING.)  If you want to make something, I suggest cookies.  I haven't been able to find homemade-style cookies anywhere.  I brought my teachers some chai -- not really a Canadian thing, but something that isn't readily available in Korea.  Salt and vinegar chips might have some appeal for older kids, although when you're counting hundreds of students, even the little Halloween-sized bags get pricey fast.

Edit:  you can get pretty much any mainstream English book in Itaewon.  What the Book (whatthebook.com) does special orders.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:26:22 pm by teacher_del »

• derekc
  • Adventurer

• October 06, 2010, 02:09:44 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »
A bucket of Haribo. Actually two buckets of Haribo and you can send one to me. :D

• asabranca
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 08:55:29 am
    • Gangwon-Do
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 01:19:27 pm »
I brought my students Fruit Rollups.  They seemed to be really intrigued by them at first. (I had to show them how to properly unwrap and eat them.) But they loved them!!!  ;D

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »
A bucket of Haribo. Actually two buckets of Haribo and you can send one to me. :D

I think I've seen Haribo in Costco too, but limited selection. If anyone isn't going home but taking the hydrofoil to Fukuoka for a holiday, note that Donki's there sells the entire selection.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• pez
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 28, 2010, 01:25:59 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »
If you have small classes or privates, you could also pick up tee's at a thrift store.  i did that when i studied abroad and brought my local sports team/my city/local university shirts. They are cheap, like a buck, but they take some looking. 

People love them!
amy