Read 12120 times

Just got the EPIK newsletter in my email and they reported successful hiring and orientation of new recruits this past March 2012 (about 700) and looking for another 700-800 in Fall of 2012.  Um....what was all this talk about "phasing out NETs?"  They said recruitees hired are up 31% this year from 23% same time last year.  So, um, we're getting phased out....probably not...only the "less qualified" teachers as 100% of all new hirees were level 2 (certification, english/education degrees etc). Wow.
In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

Re: Did anyone else get the EPIK newsletter? Hiring is going UP!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:41:29 pm »
Would you tell any potential employees they are on a sinking ship?

Probably not.

Newsletters can say whatever they want. 

That goes pretty much for the newspapers here as well.

Mostly rubbish that cannot be trusted.

MC

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »
So are you suggesting that EPIK deliberately lied about its numbers and the orientation camp and all the pics are hired "background" performers to help cover up this sham?

I'd like to believe you MC, but I highly doubt you are right.  The hiring is going up...at least it did this past March and looks to be heading so in Fall 2012 too.
In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 09:05:56 pm »
How many are teaching this semester and how many were teaching last semester.  That's more important than learning how many people were recruited because renewal s may have gone way done.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:12:21 pm »
How many are teaching this semester and how many were teaching last semester.  That's more important than learning how many people were recruited because renewal s may have gone way done.

Good point.

• bawaugh
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2012, 08:49:30 pm
    • Geoje
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:43:41 am »
I can find statistics which prove one point and then statistics to prove the other point.

As for the EPIK newsletter, I have never gotten this. Maybe they do not send it out in my Provence.

Talked to a recruiter locally (not that I was looking for a new job, we just bumped into each other in Homeplus and he said that recruiting was going down for EPIK. I guess it depends on each province. There are benefits in employing local English speakers.

At the end of the day it is the Korean Government's money and they are free to spend it as they choose. We are hired guns, we do our job and go home.

All that matters to me is will I be offered renewal at the end of my 12 months. I am not the President of Korea.
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:58:54 am »
have you considered the possibility that both stories are equally true?
to state the newsletter: in the fall of 2012 they are going to hire more foreign teachers.
to state the newspapers: in 2014, they are going to cease the position of foreign teachers.
Can both be true without a conflict?

also, where I live, I've met my replacement. in fact I'm working with him. one might even say that I'm training him in terms of pronunciation. He's a good teacher, but he does have some pronunciation issues.

The homeroom teachers teach all subjects except PE, Science and English as these require special subject knowledge. They call these subject matter teachers. The subject matter English teacher that I work with commutes to several schools, working in two of my elementary schools. In one school, he teaches 3rd and 4th while I teach 5th and 6th with a CT. In the other school, he teaches all the classes. He is my CT.  They told me, "I'm sorry but he's required by the educational office."  I've worked in these schools for two years and spoke a lot with the last foreign teacher before she left. They never had a subject matter teacher in english before.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:06 am »
Total NET hires in PS's is higher is still increasing. Only a few cities and provinces slightly curtailed hires for the spring intake. The rest of the country is still increasing.

The doom and gloom merchants have been out in force since I started looking for jobs in '07. Yet, NET hires have risen year on year since then.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:51:30 am »
I think what's happening now is that the city councils in most areas are paying for the NET's being hired. Although, they would just fall under Epik because Epik already has a system set up. Similar to my situation where I am not part of Gepik but still have to do all the Gepik nonsense.

• auster
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2011, 06:05:42 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:53 am »
It seems there's a lot of conjecture and scaremongering in favour of the 'phasing out' argument and at least some evidence to support the 'numbers are increasing' argument. I keep an open mind, but if I was being rational here, I'd say recruitment numbers are increasing throughout most of Korea.  The tightening of the process for new applicants has been the most noticeable change - I didn't need to submit a sample lesson plan or have a TESOL/TEFL when I applied for the 2011 spring intake. If numbers are increasing and the application process is more stringent, that seems like a win-win for those of us currently here.  Also, it makes very little sense for EPIK to increase numbers only for them to dramatically scale back two years from now. It would surely be more logical for a wholesale phasing out over a number of years if that was their long-term plan. 

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:46:48 am »
http://populargusts.blogspot.com/ - Matt's got the most reliable figures somewhere in this blog if someone wants to dig them up.

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 11:12:45 am »
Also, it makes very little sense for EPIK to increase numbers only for them to dramatically scale back two years from now. It would surely be more logical for a wholesale phasing out over a number of years if that was their long-term plan.

You are thinking way to logically to be even associated with South Korea.

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 11:32:40 am »
Also, it makes very little sense for EPIK to increase numbers only for them to dramatically scale back two years from now. It would surely be more logical for a wholesale phasing out over a number of years if that was their long-term plan.

You are thinking way to logically to be even associated with South Korea.

hahahahahah.....ha. ..ha...um....oh, was I saying that out loud? sorry!!  ;D

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »
http://www.epik.go.kr/upload/boardnews/201203/index.html

Yes....I'm sure all written in this newsletter was real.

"The best part of this trip was making fresh tofu, which was absolutely delicious!"

Please.....  this is obviously written by a Korean with fake commentary to look better for orientations that do not go that way at all.

And when people are willing to put in fake commentaries I don't believe any of the crap they put in these fictional newletters anyways.

But if you can cope better pretending things are just fine (like the Titantic staff claimed), all the power to you.  Just don't come asking for advice on getting a uni job in the future when you lose yours.

MC

• tehayne
  • Adventurer

• April 03, 2012, 06:09:34 am
    • Atlanta, Ga
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 06:26:53 am »

I'm pretty sure people who renew have to apply the same time new teachers do. There is even a part of the application for those who have taught with EPIK to fill out.

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 09:28:06 am »
I think what's happening now is that the city councils in most areas are paying for the NET's being hired. Although, they would just fall under Epik because Epik already has a system set up. Similar to my situation where I am not part of Gepik but still have to do all the Gepik nonsense.

I'm in exactly the same situation. ;)  My pay entirely comes from city hall, but I have to sign the GEPIK contract and abide by GEPIK rules.  It's a bit frustrating sometimes, but I'm glad that there was funding to enable me to renew at my high school.  So many HS teachers didn't get this option... I'm fairly sure that city hall-funded positions would skew the statistic results.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 03:27:16 pm »
If people renew, then recruitment goes down. If people don't renew then recruitment goes up. But I think it's a positive sign for those of us who are hoping to stay, since it looks like there will still be quite a few jobs out there for the foreseeable future. If they reported the total number of teaching positions this year and the total number for next, then we'd know if the government really was scaling back the program.

Personally, I'm hoping to renew. I'm currently in the middle of my second year and would love to stay at my school (and jump up a notch on the pay scale). A few weeks ago the English teachers asked me if I would like to stay, but yesterday they said there may be a problem with funding from the government.

I hate getting sucked into these threads because it seems everyone has similar but often slightly different experiences depending on the jurisdiction in which they are teaching, but, out of curiousity, has anyone currently working in the Changwon/Masan/Jinhae area been approached with a contract renewal for next fall?

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:01:51 pm »
Hiring is not going up. At all.

It says that in spring 2012 EPIK placed 776 NSETs in (apparently) 13 metropolitan and provincial offices of education. Direct recruitment rose from 23% to 31% from the previous year. I take this to mean that EPIK hired 31% of the foreign teachers needed by those 13 offices of education this year, as compared to 23% last year, so the numbers should go up compared to last year. For the fall intake, 600 teachers (ie. 176 less) will be hired for 15 offices of education (ie. for more offices of education) and EPIK aims to meet 50% of their needs, so the numbers should go way up. But compared to last year, the numbers are dropping. According to this newsletter, "we hosted our Spring 2011 Orientation for 1,000 incoming guest English teachers" (compared to 776 for this spring, an almost 1/4 drop), and according to this newsletter, EPIK hired 970 teachers for fall 2011 (compared to 600 projected for this year - a more than 1/3 drop).

So, that means, compared to last year, there were almost 1/4 less teachers for this year's spring intake of EPIK teachers, and there will be 1/3 less for the fall intake, and that will be for 2 more offices of education and EPIK is aiming to meet 50% of the 15 offices of education's needs.

I posted a bit more on this here:
http://populargusts.blogspot.com/2012/04/unverified-foreign-hagwon-instructors.html

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 02:35:24 pm »
http://www.epik.go.kr/upload/boardnews/201203/index.html

Yes....I'm sure all written in this newsletter was real.

"The best part of this trip was making fresh tofu, which was absolutely delicious!"

Please.....  this is obviously written by a Korean with fake commentary to look better for orientations that do not go that way at all.

And when people are willing to put in fake commentaries I don't believe any of the crap they put in these fictional newletters anyways.

But if you can cope better pretending things are just fine (like the Titantic staff claimed), all the power to you.  Just don't come asking for advice on getting a uni job in the future when you lose yours.

MC

You are seriously obsessed with your uni gig, aren't you? I mean, congrats and all, but it's not everybody's biggest dream.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:41:00 pm by deanitsin »