Read 43489 times

Student-made Music Videos
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:57:10 am »
This winter camp was great.  Students made their own lip-sync music videos.
It got them practicing English while doing something fun and engaging.
I did this for two one-week camps.  Ideally, two weeks would be better, but one was just enough.  I also did this during the winter time.  This activity requires students to be outside A LOT so the this project is better suited to the summer.  This activity requires students to do a lot of work outside of class, but if they are properly motivated you should not have any problems.

Students used their own cameras (2 or 3 per group, point and shoots and iPhones but not cell phones as the quality is really bad) and competed against each other to earn points by including certain people or places in their video.  Basically each line of the song needed to be with a different person or in a different place.  (See the point sheet attached.)

At the end of the week, we had a pizza party.  This party was set in motion at the beginning.  During the second day, I collected 3,000 won from each student, and told them the winners (i.e team with most points) would get their money back and the "losers" would pay for the food.  It was well accepted and I only had to shell out a little money for the food.  It was well worth it!

There are numerous ways you can set this camp up, I'll outline how I did it.

Day 1: Part 1 - Introductions game, how to talk about music, watch some music videos and talk about them (~50 mins).  Part 2 - introduce music video project; form teams; get students thinking about songs, roles, and ideas.
Day 2: camera check, money collecting, filming
Day 3: filming
Day 4: filming, editing (we used AVS which is really simple to use and easily found online)
Day 5: party!

Please check out our videos: http://www.anthonyteacher.com/music/student-made-music-videos/

• sheedi
  • Veteran

• March 17, 2010, 04:13:11 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
Re: Student-made Music Videos
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:20:20 pm »
Very nice!

• displayname
  • Adventurer

• September 28, 2010, 03:01:18 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »
these are awesome!!!! my Ss are a little young for this, wish i could do it with them!!! Looks like they LOVED it

• strive01
  • Newgookin

• January 10, 2011, 02:50:35 am
    • Jeju
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:07:50 am »
i love the videos! and the videos of the movies from summer camp..what software do you use? I havent heard of AVS before.. I can just download it off the internet?

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:21:13 am »
The videos are great!

• cowboy7
  • Super Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 01:47:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:26:26 pm »
These videos are so WIN.  Props to you.  I wish my kids were old enough.

• Cy&Leon
  • Veteran

• October 10, 2010, 05:49:41 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:31:54 pm »
I liked the student music video of "Run Away" by Lincoln Park. That was hilarious and great efforts. Thanks for the boost for today.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:00:09 pm »
Great idea.I am already preparing for my summer camp in advance now.
With part 1 did you do any ppt?

• seoulfoos
  • Waygookin

• September 12, 2010, 11:32:08 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
Music Video Lesson
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:50 pm »
I had students choose a pop song, and do doodle art to the lyrics.  Its fairly straight forward and I was rather surprised by the artistic abilities.

• dona
  • Explorer

• October 21, 2010, 11:27:09 am
    • kyunggido
Re: Music Video Lesson
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:40:44 am »
I like this thread very much! And as for me, I've  input the song time in the camp lesson.
Usally, I follow this step.

1. Listen to the song wigh music video.(I've found the proper one in the Youtube or other website.)
2. Distribute handout to the students with target words & expressions to learn.

3. Learn the song.

4. Make a movement by their own and make a competition by groups.

5. Randamly I've called out group name to sing. They should stand up and sing a few lines before next group's turn.

I hope that it will help. 

• cocoinkorea
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• June 24, 2010, 08:59:40 am
    • New York, NY
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »
I just want to say that Anthony Teacher, his website, and his ideas are all amazing. Thank you so much!
No Longer in Korea but still active!

Traveling: www.culturalxplorer .com
Teaching Materials: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Fabulousfourthnyc

• mai.lor
  • Waygookin

• May 03, 2011, 03:10:59 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:00:17 am »
wow! thanks, great idea! i might try it with my elementary students! lower level but it would be fun for them.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:07 pm »
This a really good idea. Thanks!  :laugh:

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 12:43:40 pm »
Great videos Anthony! Your students were really creative, i am so impressed!

I am doing a music video with my elem. students this week that is more appropriate for thier age (wish I could do this idea, it is so cute but I think it would be too hard!) I printed out a song, a different lyric on each page and I will give each student a different lyric. They have to make a drawing about the lyric, they can interpret it anyway they want to. Then I will take pictures and put the lyrics together with the song. I hope it works out well. Friends have done this ( did not come up with this fabulous idea) and it was great! Just an idea for younger learners :) Cheers, Anthony!

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 02:39:31 pm »
I thought I'd try an elementary version of this for my afterschool students. The picture idea is great Elizabeth. I'm curious what songs you plan on using...

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 01:45:46 pm »
This is an awesome idea!  I teach elementary, but I know my kids would love this. Especially if it is a summer camp class. The kiddies that usually sign up are higher level anyway! I will let you know how it turns out.... in like three months!  ;D

• mojussa
  • Veteran

• October 21, 2009, 09:06:52 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:35 pm »
In the link below, shows my students during winter camp making a mix of music videos that they chose and also gave action to.  Song are:

Yeouja-Chingu -Soju Boyz
Isn't she lovely -Stevie Wonder
So What -Pink
You are not alone -Michael Jackson
Let it Be -Beatles

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:50:24 am by mojussa »
I'm not a vlogger or blogger, so I make videos of things I do in and around school and Korea.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MojussaTeacher

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:15 pm »
@mojussa - cool video!  I like the music mix idea!

Here is the PPT I used to introduce the project.  This takes care of Day 1.
I also introduced the concept of the video which inspired me: Nickelback's "Rockstar" (which was blurred on the 야하다 parts).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5fa1p0Dh60

• christmas
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2010, 06:45:22 am
    • Chungbuk
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 04:29:56 am »
it's a cool video.  my kids will get a kick out of this video.  thank you, Anthonyteacher.

• cswehla
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2011, 09:57:44 am
    • Busan
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 02:11:03 pm »
Did you have the whole class work on 1 music video, film and edit different parts? Or did they each choose their own song to work on?