Read 20190 times

• Can-do
  • Adventurer

• November 11, 2010, 07:53:59 am
    • Gyeonggi-Do
What can be shipped at the Post Office?
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:06:25 am »
I am going to be leaving Korea in a few months and am planning on travelling for a few weeks after leaving with only a backpack. I am trying to figure out how to get all of my stuff home. I know I can send clothes and other items home using the boxes at the post office but I also have an xbox, wii, desktop flatscreen monitor and laptop to get home. A friend told me the post office will not ship these items. Has anyone else run into this problem with shipping electronics? I haven't attempted yet since I'm not leaving for a few more months.

Also wondering how to go about shipping stuff from Incheon airport. I have seen people send luggage home without taking a flight but have never done so myself. I have a large hockey bag that I would love to pack up and ship but I don't think the post office will take it (it's pretty big!). Does anyone know how to send stuff home from the airport?

Thanks for your help!

Re: What can be shipped at the Post Office?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:09:31 am »
You may already know this, but you can ship freight (by boat) cheaply.  Only drawback is that it takes 3 months or so to arrive.  It'd be a good way to get your clothes that you don't need until the next winter or whatever.  I once used something call a 'dreambag' through hyundai shipping.  They give you this huge bag and they will ship whatever you can put in it for a fixed price, I believe.  Ask your co or a korean friend if you want more info.  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:17:24 am »
I've had my xbox shipped here. It arrived fine. Use lots of bubble wrap.

Basically the policy is, if it fits in the box you can ship it. Use the slow boat from China option and you can ship a lot of stuff. I've also had a friend do exactly what you want to do. HOWEVER, I would be careful with the sensitive electronics. They don't exactly treat the packages with "care" on those long voyages.

They have boxes "almost" big enough to ship a suitcase in. Only those damn little wheels didn't fit. But yeah, don't fret. When in doubt ship it out.

• Bittens5
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• September 08, 2010, 12:14:01 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:35:05 am »
Shipping by boat is definitely the cheapest, but your friend is right, the Korean post office will not allow you to ship the electronics home. 

You may be able to get around this by buying the box from the post office, taking it home, and packing it all up there, making sure it's sealed completely when you get it to the post office.  But you won't be able to insure the box for the value of the stuff inside it, which would make it super unfortunate if anything happened to it.  If you were to attempt that, I would probably airmail it - it's more expensive, but arrives in a much shorter time.  Less time for damages, maybe?

FedEx might allow you to ship electronics, but I'm sure that would be pretty expensive.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:45:59 am »
I have to disagree with Korean post allowing you to ship electronics. I've done it in Daejeon in plain sight. Perhaps it depends on the post master.

Also, when it comes to insurance, you don't have to list what it is you are insuring. At least I didn't. Or rather you can lie about what it is that costs to much. Put some other thing in the box and claim it has some historical value or something.

Basically if you take it home, box it up, and bring it back to ship it out you'll be fine. Just wrap the stuff good. Pack your clothes around the breakables. It's been done countless times by many foreigners. You can also ship it airmail and stick a fragile sticker on it.

This is one of those situations where you don't want a Korean friend to help. Play the foreigner card on this one and you can get away with a lot. Tried and tested myself. Sign-sealed-delivered.

• jcheng461
  • Adventurer

• October 11, 2010, 07:01:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:14:47 pm »
How would you ship by freight? Is it by post office?

I went to the post office today and asked about shipping by sea. It costs 48,000 for a fixed sized "#5 box" with a maximum weight of 20kg. It would take 1.5 months to reach the US.

• Can-do
  • Adventurer

• Gyeonggi-Do
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:36 pm »
I just wanted to update this thread as I've had a lot of experience with shipping through Korea post the past 2 weekends.

So far I have sent 4 size #6 boxes back to Canada by ship. I thought I would only be able to get away with size 5 going by what others had posted on here, but to Canada by ship 6's are ok. It cost 40,000/box and you can have max. 20kg. They told me it would take approx. 2 months (only time will tell).

I had a large hockey bag with a plastic bottom that wouldn't fold into a size 6 box so I had to get a box custom made for it. Custom boxing costs an extra 10,000 won (although I think it would be less for a smaller box). It's ok as long as the box is less than 2m long and 3m for the total dimensions. Custom boxes still need to be under 20kg and it cost me 48,000won.

I just wanted to share in case this can help somebody else, as I know I had a lot of questions before I went to the post office and started shipping stuff for myself.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:15:36 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can ship a large suitcase?

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:20:57 pm »
I have many books that i will be sending back it would be almost impossible paying the money for it go with me on plane too expensive far too much money
"Independence? That's middle class blasphemy. We are all dependent on one another, every soul of us on earth."

• ryanfe
  • Explorer

• July 19, 2010, 05:58:44 am
    • south Korea, gimhae
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:24:46 pm »
Thanks for the heads up I didn't know that i couldn't ship my computer home?

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:53:45 pm »
Can-Do

You mentioned shipping your monitor home.  Is it worth it?  Won't you need to use an adapter any time you use it?

Gabe

• bern
  • Veteran

• November 09, 2010, 12:48:34 pm
    • korea
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:02:57 pm »
I just shipped a huge box surface mail to the UK for 40,000 won. It had studio monitor speakers, a DJ mixer, a small synth and a small studio mixer in it it weighed around 16Kgs.

I'm also shipping my big synth (Juno) in half a bike box padded with polystyrene which I anticipate will cost about the same.

I did it with the Korean post office they pretty much said as long as it's under 20kgs and packaged well they can take it.
Games for Young Learners : www.smalltalkesl.co m

• Can-do
  • Adventurer

• Gyeonggi-Do
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 02:15:23 pm »
I haven't shipped my monitor home yet. I'm now debating selling it before I leave. I still have a wii, xbox and 2 laptops to get home. I think I'm going to attempt airmail and pay extra. I'll post if they let me ship the electronics or not.

• Ktrumper
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2010, 01:12:15 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »
Thanks so much for the info. Im looking to send a big box home to Canada. Do you know if they only allow you to send it in a box or could I send my entire suitcase home?

• zeenat
  • Waygookin

• October 28, 2010, 08:37:14 am
    • south korea
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 01:30:40 pm »
I just shipped a huge box surface mail to the UK for 40,000 won. It had studio monitor speakers, a DJ mixer, a small synth and a small studio mixer in it it weighed around 16Kgs.

I'm also shipping my big synth (Juno) in half a bike box padded with polystyrene which I anticipate will cost about the same.

I did it with the Korean post office they pretty much said as long as it's under 20kgs and packaged well they can take it.

Hi Bern

My friend tried to ship a box to italy, and the post office in our village claimed that other than not being able to deliver via ship to Italy, they dont ship boxes past a certain size. She bought the biggest box the the post office sells (size 6). I was supposed to send a box back home full of my winter clothes. Do you think there was a language barrier issue?   

• Can-do
  • Adventurer

• Gyeonggi-Do
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »
It depends on which country you live in. Only certain countries will accept a size 6 box. I have been lucky with the post office in my area as they always double check where I am mailing my boxes to, to ensure the size is allowed. Your post office should be able to give you all information about size allowance, weight and cost for shipping to your home country.

• Rivalsan
  • Waygookin

• April 05, 2011, 03:12:19 pm
    • Wonju, South Korea
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »
You most certainly CAN ship electronics from Korea to other countries and get them insured. My first year in Korea my Xbox 360 "red-ringed" on me and I needed to have it shipped back to the US for repairs (I refused to let anyone other than Microsoft repair it). The first time I went to the post office with my very-sweet-but-not-so-great-at-English coworker, I was told that I couldn't ship it. I was like, "Yeah, right."

One day later, I went to a different post office with a different coworker who speaks excellent English. We were able to get it properly labeled (i.e. the Post Office knew it was a Xbox), insured, and shipped. It got home in 1 week, 1 week later MS repaired it, and 2 weeks later it was back with me in Korea.

I've been here for three years, and the best piece of advice I can give you about Korea is that if someone tells you that you can't do something that you really want to do, then you should do what you can to go around or push through them. People hate losing face (looking bad) here, and you may be told "untruths" just because they don't know, don't want to look bad, are lazy, or any of 1,000,000 other reasons. Remember, "No," is the beginning of true negotiations in Korea :-)

• Can-do
  • Adventurer

• Gyeonggi-Do
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 02:24:54 pm »
Rivalsan,

Thanks for making that post about your xbox. I have been worrying for weeks how to get our xbox and wii home. We have had coworkers call and ask only to be told we have to ship through a special company and it's going to cost 180,000 won.

We've been thinking of just putting the machines in boxes with our clothes and hoping for the best. Your post gave me some hope that with a little pressure we'll be able to get them home without spending an arm and a leg!

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »
I shipped a big suitcase(about 50 or 60 pounds) to my parents house in Nicaragua.  They said it would take 2 months- it only took 1 and everything arrived in it safe and sound.  Suitcase made it in tact as well- I had to bubble wrap the snot out of it at the post office but it arrived.  It cost me an arm and a leg(abot 220,000 Won)!  I am super impressed!

Korean Post ROCKS!

• jg11
  • Waygookin

• October 05, 2010, 08:53:36 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 02:32:10 pm »
So what exactly is the process for shipping by boat? Do you just go into the post office and say I want to ship this by boat, and then go from there?