Read 20849 times

Proper Address Format
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »
Hey guys,

I feel very embarrassed asking this question, but I have tried for hours to find online a solution but can't.

I am ordering from iherb.com and during the checkout, I have no idea how to insert my address in the proper format of the shopping cart i.e (Address, City, State/Province, Postal, Country). The reason is because I was given this as my address:

South Korea, Deagu Dalsung-gun Okpo-myeon Gyohang-ri 1503 Guemgyae elementary school(Administration office)

Any Ideas or hints would be greatful?

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
Re: Proper Address Format
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:17:38 pm »
[South Korea, Deagu Dalsung-gun Okpo-myeon Gyohang-ri 1503 Guemgyae elementary school(Administration office)]

I'd address it as
Guemgyae Elementary School
Gyeongbuk-do Dalsung-gun
Okpo-myeon Gyohang-ri 1503
Daegu
South Korea  (add the postal code in also here)

IF you're able to do it that way. This is the format I've been taught to use anyways... hope it helps.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:50:58 am »
If I remember correctly for iHerb, you have to email them to ask this question, as their forms are not really designed for Korean addresses. I don't remember the exact solution, but it did end up working eventually and the shipment arrived with no problems.  Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:02:52 am »
I've ordered a few things online and the address format above works. No need for Korean. If you are already sending them an email, I would also add your school phone #. One postman suggested this in case they get lost or don't know, they can call the school.

• jsgibson
  • Newgookin

• February 17, 2012, 11:09:59 am
    • Ulju-gun, Ulsan, Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:44:06 am »
I know this is an old thread, but I had basically the same question.  I've spent a while trying to figure out exactly what to tell my friends and relatives my address is, and this is the best guess I have:

Joseph Gibson
Onyang Elementary, 32 Beun-ji
Namchang-ri Onyang-eup
Ulju-Gun Ulsan
689-902
Republic of Korea

So the format as I understand is:
Name
Building / street address
town and dong
City and province
zip
country

Does that look right?

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:01:24 am »
I know this is an old thread, but I had basically the same question.  I've spent a while trying to figure out exactly what to tell my friends and relatives my address is, and this is the best guess I have:

Joseph Gibson
Onyang Elementary, 32 Beun-ji
Namchang-ri Onyang-eup
Ulju-Gun Ulsan
689-902
Republic of Korea

So the format as I understand is:
Name
Building / street address
town and dong
City and province
zip
country

Does that look right?

Yep.  This is the correct format.

• UknowsI
  • Adventurer

• October 21, 2011, 02:05:18 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:26 am »
The formats above seem to follow a sensible international address format, and I'm sure the letters will reach their destination, but I will make my attempt to add some confusion. All the mail I receive in Korea use the reverse order:

City
Gu
Dong/Road
Apartment/room number
Name

To be honest, I don't think it will make any difference at all, as long as you have all the important information. I am SURE the Korean mail office are able to handle both international and Korean address formats.

• jsgibson
  • Newgookin

• February 17, 2012, 11:09:59 am
    • Ulju-gun, Ulsan, Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:41:48 am »
Excellent!  Thanks for the confirmation.

My understanding is that Korean addresses are written backwards, as in country first and street address last, but I was thinking that if one is writing in English one should therefore use a Western address format.  Maybe not.  But I'm sure you're right about them being able to figure it out with all the information there.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:46 pm »
The formats above seem to follow a sensible international address format, and I'm sure the letters will reach their destination, but I will make my attempt to add some confusion. All the mail I receive in Korea use the reverse order:

City
Gu
Dong/Road
Apartment/room number
Name

To be honest, I don't think it will make any difference at all, as long as you have all the important information. I am SURE the Korean mail office are able to handle both international and Korean address formats.

Yes.  I've used both orders and they work fine.  Also, I recently used iherb for the first time and it wasn't necessary to email them with the address.

• nhui
  • Explorer

• February 28, 2012, 08:18:45 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »
Thanks for all of your help! I was having trouble too  ::)

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
I was wondering how to explain to my mom to write Hangul on my packages! hahah!! So glad to find out that I don't need to! Thanks!!!
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 10:40:28 am »
Oh, Korea.  Always keeping us on our toes.

So... a lot of addresses have recently changed or are in the process of changing over the next year or two.  I'm not sure why, but there it is.  Before, buildings were numbered according to blocks, and the order they were built on that block (I think).  Now, Korea seems to be switching to numbering roads, and numbering the location along those roads.  That means we have to translate the English a little differently too now.

They've made a website to use for converting the old address to the new one.  Super handy!  Just be careful once you've entered the input that it actually recognized the right building.  When I enter my old apartment number, I get some building elsewhere in my city.  My school address changes correctly though.

Here's the English edition (awesome!!): http://www.juso.go.kr/openEngPage.do
There's also the main Korean website too, in case you'd rather go straight for the original: http://www.juso.go.kr/openIndexPage.do

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 06:55:10 pm »
Oh, Korea.  Always keeping us on our toes.

So... a lot of addresses have recently changed or are in the process of changing over the next year or two.  I'm not sure why, but there it is.  Before, buildings were numbered according to blocks, and the order they were built on that block (I think).  Now, Korea seems to be switching to numbering roads, and numbering the location along those roads.  That means we have to translate the English a little differently too now.

They've made a website to use for converting the old address to the new one.  Super handy!  Just be careful once you've entered the input that it actually recognized the right building.  When I enter my old apartment number, I get some building elsewhere in my city.  My school address changes correctly though.

Here's the English edition (awesome!!): http://www.juso.go.kr/openEngPage.do
There's also the main Korean website too, in case you'd rather go straight for the original: http://www.juso.go.kr/openIndexPage.do

Thanks for the link.   This is great.  A reason why I love Korea at times.  Websites... In English.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.