Read 9971 times

• middyso
  • Newgookin

• April 12, 2011, 07:29:19 am
    • Korea
Getting a care package sent from America
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:34:05 am »
I'm having family send me a care package from America.

They don't know how to write out the address in Korean on the shipment form, so is it fine for them to write out the address in English (i.e. Seoul instead of 서울)?

Also, I wasn't given the zip/postal code of my address. Is the zip/postal code not necessary?

And finally, would it be a good idea for me to e-mail them my address in Korean, and have them print and tape the Korean address on the box itself?

• clairemaree
  • Adventurer

• September 21, 2010, 03:38:22 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
Re: Getting a care package sent from America
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:36:45 am »
I think the smartest thing would be to have your family print out the address in Korean and English on a label and bring that to the post office to stick on the box.  The zip/postal code is necessary also so try asking your apartment building or school what that might be. 

• scottdk
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:30:13 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:38:42 am »
Ask your co-teacher to help you look up your zip code, and then create a label your parents can just print out and tape to the box.  I did this for my parents and haven't missed a package yet, woohoo.  Nice to get things in the mail from time to time :)

• danifold
  • Waygookin

• September 01, 2010, 09:49:57 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:40:55 am »
http://www.etpost.co.kr/service/zipcode/zip_eng.php

This site can help you find your postal code.

I've had people send me packages with the address entirely in English and it has worked, but I'd do both Korean and English just in case.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:13 am »
I've had several letters and care packages come from the U.S. and the addresses were always written in English. I'm not sure about the zip code though-You can always ask your school about that:)

• bormay
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2011, 10:25:11 am
    • Gyeongsan, Gyeongbuk-do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:45:31 am »
The address needs to be in romanized English. You can probably type it in Google Translate and get closest to what you need (or what you would see on street signs in Korean). If you are looking for the zip code ... look at your neighbor's mail for a quick second if you haven't recieved one for yourself. It's right above the barcode on the bottom.

I would go with what other people have suggested, just have your parents print out a label. Make sure to remind your parents to include a detailed contents and value when filling out the customs forms. My package got suck in customs for 2 weeks becuase I didn't have this. Good luck and enjoy your goodies from the States.  :D

• absurdjoy
  • Adventurer

• November 25, 2010, 12:00:14 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:50:50 am »
When your parents send it from America they will have to fill out a customs form which is only in English. My co-teachers had a hard time understanding this when I asked them for a romanized version of my address.

I have had many packages arrive without the zip code but obviously the more info you put on the box the better.

Also remember that if your parents send it priority that someone has to sign for it. If you're at school all day I would recommend having them send it to your school. Otherwise you'll have to figure out which post office its being held at and go get it. Sometimes this can be pretty far from your home.

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:05:06 am »
The mail system actually works really well here in general.  I've had packages with the address in English, without zip codes and had them arrive with no problem.   Your postman/woman is probably pretty good at figuring out where things need to go.  Mind you, it probably takes a day or two longer if you don't find your zip and write in Korean... 

Oh, and a quick word of advice: unless you live in a secure building, or one with a security office, or you know where the nearest post office is, get your shipments sent to your school.  It'll save you headaches in the long run.

• EPSK
  • Veteran

• September 07, 2010, 07:52:55 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:23:25 am »
I've received letters and packages from the US with all English addresses and had no problems receiving anything to date. Just remember that you MUST have an English address on their if shipped from the US because, well, not very many USPS workers can read Hangul. If you received a gas/electric/cable bill, your zip code will be printed on it.

Hope you get lots of goodies from home!

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:37:34 am »
I've had a number of packages sent here from home that have vanished entirely. I get people to post them to my school now, works every time.

• llisa
  • Explorer

• November 07, 2010, 06:45:59 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:04 am »
My family sends packages to my school address with written in English. I think its more reliable to have the packages sent to the school. So far, I haven't had any problems receiving my mail from the states.  :)

• llama2019
  • Explorer

• October 26, 2010, 09:15:33 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:29:13 am »
I also always have my packages sent to the school. It is easier because if a package is large and I am not at home to receive it, I don't know where it goes. My family never uses Korean, just the English version of the address. I would just get the zip code from your school and have your packages sent there.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:00 am »
Pretty sure you're good to go with just the English translation, just make sure the numbers are correct.  My mom is a nut and sends me a package almost once a month, always in English and it gets here in 8 days exactly almost every time.  USPS has flat rate shipping boxes that you can pack with almost unlimited weight and they ship for about $49 - $59 US.  My dad sent a box without a flat rate box it cost a fortune, I'm still hearing about it.

• JulieS
  • Waygookin

• October 04, 2010, 08:10:22 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 10:05:51 am »
I have all my packages sent to my school. I had my coteacher type the address in English, emailed that to my family, and they just printed it out and pasted it on the box. Had no problems.

• greg052
  • Explorer

• April 12, 2011, 10:34:03 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:21 am »
I don't think you need the zipcode. My packages never have it.

• zzizzibe
  • Explorer

• December 12, 2010, 07:15:54 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:48 am »
didn't know USPS had flat rate shipping~
Thanks for the info~

Does anyone know any low cost shipping company to send items from US to Korea?

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:09 am »
My mom sends me everything to my school - Which is the best way to deal with it - you might have to carry it home, but having it delivered to yoru school, you know its arrived and you don't have to mess with when the post office is open to get it, according to your work schedule.

I have everything sent to my school - friends send me things too - this is especially handy when Christmas or your birthday rolls around and people send you things.

So I reccomend having things sent to your school. The delivery is much more relaible - also things sent to a school are less likely to be opened - which happened twice with things sent to my house - so now I just have all packages sent to my school. 

Thats my postage cents thought on the matter :)

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 02:42:20 pm »
@danifold - you just saved me with that postal code post.  I've been worried about it and my landlords don't speak English (but they might speak more than my coteacher for all the help she's been)...thanks a bunch.  Now I finally know what to tell my folks!
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 03:20:48 pm »
No the postal code isn't necessary.  I had lots of items shipped from home when I first got here.  Never used a postal code.  It might help things get here a little quicker, though.

• Roo
  • Explorer

• August 23, 2011, 08:42:20 pm
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 03:26:51 pm »
I've received a few care packages too and have had them sent to my school. They always wrote the address in English and it was never a problem. I just had them include the name of my school on it too (not sure if that helps or not, but it doesn't hurt). For smaller items (letters, cards, etc.) I have those sent to my apartment because they'll fit in the mail slot. Those are written in English too and are always fine.