Read 7017 times

• Koradian
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 08, 2010, 10:29:15 am
    • South Korea
Pregnant woman has died of pneumonia virus in Daegu
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:33:32 pm »
The evening news caught my eye so I had to turn to the internet to dig. Here is what I found and used Google Translate to get a better understanding. I had heard that a female English teacher was in the hospital with a virus in near death condition. I don't believe the article states that the woman was an English teacher so I'm not sure if it is related.

A sad day for foreigners in Korea.

Pregnant women had died of pneumonia virus
If 9| Article Date 2011-05-10 02:42 
Advertising

February youngnamseo come nine months pregnant woman two weeks after the onset

"Pregnant women, weak immune system fall hard for phlegm-spitting"

Patients with viral pneumonia, 6 patients unresolved occur simultaneously, dual 5 people news that women (9, 12 Dong-side) for pregnant women and their families is a growing concern. Experts point falling pregnant with their immune systems, the more cough, phlegm-spitting to full term is not easy to raise lung disease that has been described.

CDC officials a "This is not a virus that seems to be only mothers, pregnant women not to take medication for the fetus because of worsening illness and the patient can be increased," he said. However, CDC currently the cause of the other officials could not be explained entirely sure. The official "a feverish flu deaths in the United States when the proportion of pregnant patients was very high" and "respiratory illness in pregnant women, because there were lots of complications," he said. However, the official "OK but with the phenomenon, then, 'why is' The answer may not come out yet," he said.

Kim Jong Hwa Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Samsung Medical Center, "Pregnant women with normal immune systems than the contrary, the term of pregnancy pregnant women more likely than second immunity more falls," he explained. Kim, especially "when the full term rather than diaphragm activity did not work, not easy to bend your back is difficult to cough, phlegm and spit it will not let" and "does not exhaust out the mucus in the lungs as a hotbed of virus activity, if can be, "he explained.

Kim is "basically to avoid virus infection (immune system to prevent loss) to avoid fatigue, and should be avoided where a lot of people," he explained. When you turn on a humidifier and difficult to expectorate sputum improves the moisture to come out more easily because they are stuck phlegm, but rather the virus that creates a humidifier because it can cause a caution, he added. Professor Kim, "if you have symptoms such as cough, sputum and respiratory medicine to find a good," he advised.

Meanwhile, in the last nine months of February, Daegu area have been diagnosed with viral pneumonia in pregnant women known to have died in two weeks. A patient's relatives said that he "was very health of the mother without any long term damage 2 weeks after the deadliest larger impact all family members, still have not solved the question," he said. The recent outbreak of pneumonia and is almost identical to the type, but has not been confirmed whether the same virus. Animated children by Caesarean section.

Centers for Disease Control and 6 patients currently in hospital are conducting an epidemiological investigation and large hospitals around the country that there are additional cases have been confirmed.

Emulsifying reporters river@hk.co.kr
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:04:49 am by Ectofuego »

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
Re: Pregnant women has died of pneumonia virus in Daegu
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:31 pm »
That is sad. I really do hope that people learn to take foreigners illnesses better! So many times I've read that a foreigner is sick, and goes to the hospital and is told 'oh its a common cold'! I don't understand this! Its crazy that doctors try to pass serious illnesses off as nothing.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• lisafoca
  • Explorer

• May 10, 2011, 07:05:13 pm
    • uiryeong
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:07:48 pm »
i agree with neniko. Im new in south korea, im glad i found this website now i know to take care of my health.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:36:02 pm »
That is sad. I really do hope that people learn to take foreigners illnesses better! So many times I've read that a foreigner is sick, and goes to the hospital and is told 'oh its a common cold'! I don't understand this! Its crazy that doctors try to pass serious illnesses off as nothing.

And this happens so often right? And this NEVER happens back home.

Where are you from may I ask, if you say America you can just stop talking.

Hell I am from Canada and a few years ago there was a kid who went to the Emergency room, they told him 12 hours, he finally got to see a doctor, they told him he was fine, he had the flu, he went home and died. This is not a Korean mindset and most doctors will get your diagnosis right.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:38 pm »
This very sad news.

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:57:45 pm »

Hell I am from Canada and a few years ago there was a kid who went to the Emergency room, they told him 12 hours, he finally got to see a doctor, they told him he was fine, he had the flu, he went home and died. This is not a Korean mindset and most doctors will get your diagnosis right.

Absolutely agree with Jeff... if you're not happy with your doctor get a second or third or fourth opinion.  This happens everywhere.  I've never ever had a doctor in Korea "pass of a serious illness as nothing".  On the contrary, my doctor has always been very supportive and even recommended some good multi vitamins because I was getting sick quite often - not because of them misdiagnosing but just because it's a different climate here and we work with KIDS aka GermBalls. 

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:04:36 pm »
And say what you want about KOrean Medicine, I have not once waited more than twenty minutes to see a doctor, not once. And because of the think smog I get sick and imflamed all the time.

I went to the doctor about my knew didnt tell him what was wrong, he correctly diagnosed what I had ( i knew what it was since I had it before, as well as a surgery to correct it.

He said I'd need an MRI, I got it THAT DAY, thats unheard of in Canada. I was booked for surgery the next week. And got excellent care while I recuperated.

I am tired of all the people here who persist that KOreans in general will misdiagnose a korean out of spite or Malice, Like the Hypocratic oath has a racist disclaimer. if you get a shotty doctor then start going to another Doctor.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:46 pm »
Lastly , the misinformation on her is deplorable.

Where in that article does it mention foreigners, I dont see it.

My wife looked up the original story in Korean these are the facts

- This virus has affected 7 people,
- 6 of them are pregnant women
- one of the pregnant women died.

No mention at all of a foreigner in korea getting misdiagnosed, so where the heck is this lament for bad KOrean doctors coming from ?

• Koradian
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 08, 2010, 10:29:15 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:06:17 pm »
Lastly , the misinformation on her is deplorable.

Where in that article does it mention foreigners, I dont see it.

My wife looked up the original story in Korean these are the facts

- This virus has affected 7 people,
- 6 of them are pregnant women
- one of the pregnant women died.

No mention at all of a foreigner in korea getting misdiagnosed, so where the heck is this lament for bad KOrean doctors coming from ?

On the news they said she was a Native English Speaker.

• notinKS
  • Super Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 02:59:38 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »
I'm wondering if there's actually two different stories here. I read on Yonhap and The Korea Herald that the woman that died was in Seoul. Here are the links to the articles:

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110510000309
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2011/05/10/60/0601000000AEN20110510002000320F.HTML

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:22:37 pm »
On the whole, the medical care I've received here has been excellent.  I have little reason to knock the Korean medical system, especially in comparison to other countries.

If anything, I feel like I've gotten extra attention from the doctors because treating a foreigner is uncommon for them.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 07:46:29 am »

FYI No I'm not from America! I'm from New Zealand actually.

I'm not saying its just in South Korea where people are misdiagnosed. I was merely stating that MANY foreigners (due to their lack of ability to properly explain their ailments, especially to doctors in small towns) are told they have a common cold.

Personal experience: I had tonsillitis recently. My doctors in my town told me I had a common cold. I KNEW that I did not. I went to the hospital 2 days later because the medication the doctor had given me was not working. The doctor gave me something stronger, and told me he thought I needed to see an ENT but still told me he thought I had a cold. I was then able to get into a big city to see an ENT the next day when it was a work day and they were open, and the ENT told me that I had tonsillitis, which I'd known from the start and was able to get the meds I needed. I went back to the original doctor to get a refill of the meds the ENT gave me and when I told him what I'd been told, he laughed and said 'Yes, I think common cold and Tonsillitis are much the same problem.' ~ Uh WHAT?!?!

Now, I will agree that there are many doctors world-wide who miss problems often. I will not dispute that. I'm not saying that Korean doctors are guilty of mal-practice. Nor am I saying that Koreans misdiagnose out of spite for Koreans. I've been here for 2 years now. I love Korea, Korean people and the culture in general. I've no spite whatsoever towards Koreans.

The number of times my husband has been to the doctors here, with something that none of them can diagnose also, is amazing. They've not sent him for MRi's nor CT scans, as he's got a problem with the back of his head swelling and causing him massive headaches and occasionally he has seizure like episodes as well. Doctors have seen this, and done nothing. This could well be missed in a country where he could communicate clearly as well, but in our small town it is again passed off as a 'common cold' when that is clearly not.

However, the OP was saying that from the original article, a Native English speaker had died with the Pneumonia virus. Even if they had, I'm wondering, did that woman speak much Korean. Did her doctor speak enough English to communicate her problem to her? Did she heed the doctors warnings? The blame lays no where. I was merely stating that I've seen a lot of problems with mis-diagnosis in my town.

Heck, one of the foreigners in my town, when he went for his medical, was told that he had a very bad malformation which had never been picked up before he came to South Korea, he went to get a second opinion to find that the first diagnosis was incorrect. It was enough to scare him also of the doctors in our area.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• SteveP
  • Adventurer

• October 26, 2010, 05:37:04 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 08:19:43 am »
I came down with pneumonia here in Daegu over New Years, and, life-debilitating illness aside, my experience with health care was really good.

I'll concede that I did get a common cold diagnoses on my first hospital visit, but honestly that's more my fault for my habit of understatements. When I said, "I sometimes have trouble breathing" I really meant "I can't breathe but I don't want to look like a whiner." When I came in the second time obviously more sick, the doctors immediately changed tactics and took it really seriously.

Xrays, blood tests, wait time for the doctors, and hospitality were all impressive as far I'm concerned. Having to shave my arm to get an IV was less appreciated though haha.

If you're a foreigner sick in the north east side of Daegu, I'd really recommend Dongsan Medical Center. It's directly opposite Seomun Market. Its foreigner clinic treats Camp Walker's soldiers and has a really friendly and competent staff.

• gookway
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2011, 12:22:19 pm
    • Korea
Re: Pregnant woman has died of pneumonia virus in Daegu
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 08:32:00 am »
This reminds me of sad sad story back home in Canada.  A young Korean couple just immigrated to Canada (this was about 10 years ago) and the mother was pregnant and almost due with their first child.  She came down with meningitis (which was at the time on high alert in the city as it had infected numerous people) and she died in hospital along with the unborn child.  I remember thinking how devastated it must have been for the young husband and would-be father to all of a sudden be on the brink of lifelong happiness with family to being completely alone and losing all.

• johnkim
  • Adventurer

• January 10, 2011, 12:22:39 am
    • Pohang Korea
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:54 am »
In my opinion, the Korean healthcare system is a lot better than Canadian healthcare system.
At least in Korea, they don't make you wait 6, 7 months in order to get a surgery to get your cancer removed. They do that right away.
People die from waiting that long in Canada.

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:52:48 am »
In my opinion, the Korean healthcare system is a lot better than Canadian healthcare system.
At least in Korea, they don't make you wait 6, 7 months in order to get a surgery to get your cancer removed. They do that right away.

They both have disadvantages and advantages, but the health care system in Canada is quite different in my personal experience.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 12:35:51 pm »

They don't do this in Canada either buddy,

My mother had cancer last year, between diagnosis, all treatments, surgeries and going into remission, 6 months, so stop spreading crap.

I on the other hand did have to wait 6 months for a cyst removal, but that was just causing pain in my  joint, not potential death, I perhaps the doctors had other things like cancer to operate on hence my wait