Read 12446 times

• kelseyleep
  • Waygookin

• April 06, 2011, 07:43:48 pm
    • Bundang, Seoul
(대한 교과서 Taehan) Grade 4, Lesson 10 - "Don't Do That"
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:20:32 pm »
Here is a fun activity I did with my kids for this Chapter!!!

Rules:
-Students each walk around the class with their handout
-They take turns 'battling' (rock, paper, scissors) other students
-The Winner gets to command the other student with one of the options listed (For Example: Don't open your eyes!)
-The "Loser" must obey by the command until they win a battle against another student. Once, they win a battle they are 'free' and no longer have to obey all that they have previously been commanded

The 'winners' are the students at the end of the activity time with the least amount of names and commands on their papers.

**This was a really simple activity that was fun for the kids. Got them moving and using what they are learning. I hope you enjoy it!!**
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:56:58 pm by taeyang »

• Carol
  • Adventurer

• May 12, 2010, 12:28:39 pm
    • south korea
Re: 4th Grade: Lesson 10 "Don't Do That" Activity
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:06:08 pm »
Here is a gap-fill lyric sheet for Evan Schaaf's cute song.  The kids loved this song.

Song: http://www.youtube.com/user/freelancepuppeteers

• cmwiley3
  • Explorer

• September 02, 2011, 08:24:08 am
    • Cheonan
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:06:23 pm »
Here is a version of the game that fits 3 sheets on 1 paper. My school is pretty stingy on how much paper I can use and I teach upwards of 300 4th graders a week, so this really cuts down on paper usage. Thanks for posting the game!

• iggyb
  • Super Waygook

• November 12, 2010, 10:17:07 am
    • Gapyeong
Grade 4 L10 Don't Do That! Bingo with Writing
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:50:45 pm »
The bingo sheet includes 9 verbs previously studied:  Brush your teeth, clean, close the door, cry, drink, eat, fall (down), grab, and laugh

I uploaded a bingo sheet template:  You can save it, rearrange a few images, resave under a different name (002), and repeat the process 5-10 time to give you enough diversity for one class.  Then copy those sheets as needed for each student in the class to have one.

I also uploaded a ppt with instructions how to use it.

Students will say then write simple "Don't _____!" sentences under each image on their bingo sheet.

Then, they will play one round of bingo.

I figure it will take 20 minutes including the writing.

To prepare for extra-time, I plan on copy&pasting another round of slides for extra bingo rounds.

• tamma17
  • Explorer

• September 06, 2011, 10:16:56 pm
Re: Grade 4 L10 Don't Do That! Bingo with Writing
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 05:07:15 pm »
I never thought of using bingo as it seemed as the students would simply have to follow whatever number/word/phrase was being called out. It doesn't require much proactive thinking, but your suggestion tweaks it up to actually having the students peruse what they've learned which helps in ensuring that they retain that knowledge. Thanks!!

• iggyb
  • Super Waygook

• Gapyeong
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:39:26 pm »
I do Bingo with 3rd and 4th as a way to learn new vocabulary at the start of a chapter.   

Mostly I use images for the words and a ppt.  You can do it different ways to focus somewhat on different skills: 

Basic Reading -- You can show the word for beginning reading skills and word-image recognition.  You can use a whole sentence too.  Then, after the students have had a few seconds to read it and find it on the bingo sheets, show the image on the ppt for the lower level students.

You can also have individual students read the slides and give them a sticker or something as a reward to work on reading skills (and listening skills for the students listening to him/her). 

Listening:  You can say the word without a text or image on the screen - saying the word by itself or in a sentence - then let the students find it on the bingo sheet - and after a few seconds, show the image on ppt and repeat the word/sentence again for the lower level students.

Basic Word Reading:  Instead of images on the bingo sheet, you can write the words.  On the ppt you place the images.  To include listening skill, you can say the word (alone or in a sentence) then show the image after a few seconds...

There is a lot of variety you can use with a combination of words and images for low-beginners.

If you require individual students to make sentences out of the words as you play, it can work with higher level students when learning new vocabulary.

For the higher level students, the trick can be finding an image that clearly matches the word.

• erik1986
  • Waygookin

• March 09, 2011, 09:06:07 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:53 am »
I was looking for a game to play with my fourth graders on Friday, and this looks like it will do the job. Changed it around a bit to fit more closely with the vocab. in the lesson (my teacher is a stickler! :P) haha. All and all, great idea for this lesson. I think the kids will enjoy it. Thanks for your hard work!

• jlanca
  • Newgookin

• September 22, 2011, 09:29:33 am
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:50:39 am »
I think that the tweak on bingo is a great idea. The problem that I have run into the most using this game, like some of the other posters, is that the kids seem to identify one word or phrase that they can zero in on to mark off the right space. I think that making them write it out makes a huge difference. I'm going to try bringing bingo back as a game for my kids to play sometime this week or next, using this style! Thanks a bunch!

• iggyb
  • Super Waygook

• Gapyeong
Grade 4 L10 Don't Do That! (Buzz Bomi Bibi) - Elimination Game
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 01:40:35 pm »
Simple game to have the students moving around.  2 sentence patterns "Please, blah blah." and "Don't blah blah!!" using common verbs we've studied all year.

• Julie R
  • Explorer

• August 28, 2011, 10:32:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:11 am »
Here is a powerpoint I developed for Period 1. Enjoy! My kids did!!

• iggyb
  • Super Waygook

• Gapyeong
Grade 4 L10 Don't ____ (Buzz, Bomi) - Chickenpox game
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 12:36:31 pm »
I modified a Chickenpox mix and mingle game I got for 5th grade.  The game is explained in the ppt.

Students mix and mingle asking each other "What should I do?"

Answering students break down as follows:

Normal students use the sentence pattern:  Don't _______.

Infected students say:  I'm sick!  Go to the hospital!

Doctors say:  Take some medicine.

• cmtaylor
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2011, 09:13:49 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:23:23 pm »
Here's the powerpoint I used for my lesson.

First is just a few practice pictures and sentences.

Then we watched a You've been framed video on Youtube (England's version of America's funniest home video's) and used that to practice saying some of the other key expressions for this topic. The kids really loved the video and shouting out answers at the right time. (This idea came from another thread).

Finally we played a Simon says game using Simon says/Simon says don't/do this/don't do this.

• bonsj003
  • Explorer

• April 13, 2010, 10:35:09 am
    • South Korea
Re: 4th grade, Lesson 10 - Don't do that (buzz, bomi)
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:50:21 am »
Here is a basic PPT with the target language

• bawaugh
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2012, 08:49:30 pm
    • Geoje
    more
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »
Here is a gap-fill lyric sheet for Evan Schaaf's cute song.  The kids loved this song.

Song: http://www.youtube.com/user/freelancepuppeteers

Here are links to the videos
The first is the song and PPT,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qkj4_U9vsg&feature=plcp

The second is the song being sung in a class. (or how to use it for your class).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-nhvxCWsYA&feature=plcp

And finally another song which could also be used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Sj17aSuPA&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:01:39 am by bawaugh »
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

• olonergan
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2012, 05:55:49 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »
Here is a small game I'll play with some of my classes (space permitting).  It's based on the "broken telephone" relay game.  I used it for the grade 6 lesson "don't forget to bring your...", and the students loved it.  Perhaps it's a bit of a stretch, but it's quick, fun and get's everyone up and involved.

I write the sentence "don't forget to bring your..." on the whiteboard  (can be simplified to "don't forget your...")
All students then stand in rows (behind their desks in my classrooms)
Students at the front of each row face the teacher, and all other students face the opposite wall.
The teacher writes an item from the classroom on a piece of paper or small whiteboard ("book" for example)
The word is shown only to the students facing the teacher.
When everyone is ready, the teacher counts down and the game begins.
The sentence is then whispered to the back of the row by the students. ("don't forget to bring your book")
The last student must locate the item and bring it to the front (touch the wall)

Before playing, drill the sentence with all the students ("don't forget to bring your...").  Ensure students play respectfully, as it can become frantic.  Also watch for groups cheating by just saying the word, and not the sentence (I disqualified those that cheated, and gave bonus points to those that spoke well).  You can be a little fiendish and ask them to locate things that are difficult to find, or hard to hold (a sock or shoe).

I am sure this game could be made more relevant or expanded upon by using more verbs.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also credit to those suggesting the other "movement" based activities here.  My students love to move and swap information.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:18:34 pm by olonergan »

• beano1982
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
    • korea
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »
here is my intro lesson plus a game

• beano1982
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
    • korea
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:13 pm »
here is my role play lesson i changed the story because it was rubbish

• girlo
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 11:20:24 am
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 08:47:34 am »
I made this connect four based on the suggestion in the teachers manuel.  Basically, they just have to make the sentence to get the spot.  I don't play where you have to start at the bottom, I just let them choose wherever.

• Pitufa
  • Adventurer

• May 21, 2012, 02:04:52 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 01:32:43 pm »
Here is a small game I'll play with some of my classes (space permitting).  It's based on the "broken telephone" relay game.  I used it for the grade 6 lesson "don't forget to bring your...", and the students loved it.  Perhaps it's a bit of a stretch, but it's quick, fun and get's everyone up and involved.

I am sure this game could be made more relevant or expanded upon by using more verbs.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also credit to those suggesting the other "movement" based activities here.  My students love to move and swap information.

Here is a PowerPoint I used for a telephone game in the first class of Lesson 10. Thanks for the suggestion! It's one of the more controlled games I have done with any age group. The slides contain most of the key expressions for the Lesson 10 Intro.

I printed out 4 sets of the pictures and key expressions on the PowerPoint. (I made them smaller, but any size will do.) I also printed out one set of the "points" slides. My class is split into two teams. Here's what we did:

- One set of sentence cards is attached to the board or a wall for each team. Keep them separated enough where one student from each team can be at the board at the same time. Using different color backgrounds helps, too.
- The students make two lines in front the sentence cards.
- One teacher is with each team at the back of the line. He/She starts the round by drawing a sentence card from a box/bag. At the same time, each teacher whispers their sentence to one student on their team.
- The students continue to whisper the sentence to the next person in line.
- The last student goes to the board, finds the sentence, and goes back to the teacher. The student then says the sentence to the teacher.

- The first team to reach their teacher and say the sentence is the winner of the round. The team can roll a die AND draw one of the point cards from a bag/box. The point cards are really useful to keep all students interested, regardless of which team is faster. It's also easy to discreetly remove or add point cards based on the score.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:34:49 pm by Pitufa »

• bawaugh
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2012, 08:49:30 pm
    • Geoje
    more
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 07:59:17 am »
A guess the picture activity. Good for 5 to 10 minutes of class time.
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature