Read 29105 times

2010 Grade 4 Lesson 15: What time do you go to bed?
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:28:07 am »
It's not much... but something to go on...

I also did a PPT with pictures of myself doing the various activities shown in the cards. The kids loved it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:26:37 am by complex303 »

• sallyafc
  • Adventurer

• June 24, 2010, 09:29:23 am
    • Daejeon
Grade 4 Lesson 15 What Time Do You Go to Bed?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:47:06 am »
heres what i have so far

• sallyafc
  • Adventurer

• June 24, 2010, 09:29:23 am
    • Daejeon
Re: Grade 4 Lesson 15: What time do you go to bed?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:02:32 pm »
here is a race car game (good for review lesson) that the kids really like, good to use with the introductin ppt as it has the same pictures

• huynhln1
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2010, 01:20:57 pm
    • Ochang / Cheongju, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:28:02 am »
The Circle Time Game:

-Give each student a time card (6:00, 6:30, 7:00...12:10 [my school's lunch time],...1:30, etc)
-Write the time in blue if it's AM. Write the time in red if it's PM.
-If you have classroom space, have the students circle up with their time cards. You can also have them put themselves in order based on the time card they are holding. If you don't have time, try having them play from their seats.
-Go around and read the times.
-One student (who does not have a card) stands in the middle. The teacher asks a question like, "What time do you get up?" The student in the middle must say, "I get up at ____ AM/PM."
-The student in the middle then goes to the student holding the appropriate time card in the circle. They trade roles and there is a new student in the middle who can answer the next question.
-This repeats as students switch roles and get to be in the middle.
-If some students are not getting picked, try giving a designated answer by showing a clock to the student so he/she doesn't have a choice of picking what time.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:47:33 am »
here is a race car game (good for review lesson) that the kids really like, good to use with the introductin ppt as it has the same pictures

This Race Car game is awesome...I can't wait to use it with my grade four class....they will love it.  Thanks so much!

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »

This Race Car game is awesome...I can't wait to use it with my grade four class....they will love it.  Thanks so much!

Yeah... but just check those Korean sentences with your co teacher first!!! haha

• haroldglee
  • Explorer

• September 06, 2010, 09:07:09 am
    • South Korea
"What time do you go to bed?" Battleship/treasure hunt game.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 03:00:26 pm »
You remember that game battleship where you have to find and sink the other person's ships while they try to do the same? I've taken that concept and applied it to this lesson. However, I've changed it from battleship to treasure hunt because of the Cheonan sinking. Anyway, you'll need to print out about 15 copies of the attached .xls file and cut them in half so there are enough of the half sheets for each student. Also prepare little tokens or game pieces, something like squares of paper. Students must hide four to five of the "treasure" pieces in the empty squares. I usually like to have them hide their sheets in their books that have been propped up like an open laptop computer.

Imagine the "wake up at..." "go to bed at..." row is the X axis and the "o'clock" column is the Y axis. If you think there's a treasure three squares over and three squares down, you say "I have breakfast at 12 o'clock." If you think there's a treasure two squares over and five squares down, you say "I go to bed at 7 o'clock" and so on. If a student finds an opponent's treasure, he just sets it aside and doesn't put it on his own game grid. Students play until one has found all of the other's treasure.

• wajowens
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2010, 01:08:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »
that's very clever haroldglee, i'm a fan. how did it go down in the lesson?

• haroldglee
  • Explorer

• September 06, 2010, 09:07:09 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 07:54:21 am »

It went down really well actually. Everyone seems to get involved, and for the slower students, they want to participate if they're put with someone who can read the sentences. I've applied this to other similar lessons dealing with sentences that have two interchangeable parts (It this Minsu's/your/Mina's schoolbag/pencil case/eraser).

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 03:37:46 pm »
With regard to the Phonics Exercises (Let's Read) in this chapter.

Well, the hard w bit is fine, but no matter which way I look at it, the long opart just seems incorrect to me. Stating the long o in nose is the same as that in old is well... uncommon, especially in American English. I mean, I guess it sort of works if you're doing an exaggerated version of Received Pronounciation to taunt someone in conversation.

Anyhow, given the precedent set by the previous chapters, I'm assuming the goal here is to teach the long vowel sound as opposed to short, so I've attached a PPT to replace the phonics part of the CD. Hopefully this will be a tad less confusing to the students. I've also scanned in the w bit from the book so you're not juggling the CD and a slideshow at once.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• greenchalk
  • Waygookin

• September 12, 2010, 03:14:36 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 08:20:21 am »

It went down really well actually. Everyone seems to get involved, and for the slower students, they want to participate if they're put with someone who can read the sentences. I've applied this to other similar lessons dealing with sentences that have two interchangeable parts (It this Minsu's/your/Mina's schoolbag/pencil case/eraser).

having used a similar tic-tac-toe game with my 4th grade class i tought id give this a try and it worked really well. everyone was engaged and actually using the english sentences (except sometimes they would forget to use the "I"). thanks for the idea!

• kerrym
  • Veteran

• March 18, 2010, 09:52:47 pm
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »
GHOSTBUSTER GAME with glitches removed. Sorry for the problems. Prepared and posted too quickly!

• Dinkymoo
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2010, 11:57:28 am
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 03:35:14 pm »
Intro PPT.

• izus
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2010, 08:10:07 am
    • Daegu, KR
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 01:43:16 pm »
Here's a board race template for this lesson.  Cut the chart into strips.  Divide the students into groups.  There should be one set of strips for each group.  The group must get one strip at a time from the teacher, fill in the appropriate sentence, have someone from the group speak the sentence to the teacher (I make the students rotate speakers), and then they can get the next strip.  1st group to finish wins.  The sentences should be along the lines of "I get up at 6:00."

• cathycat
  • Waygookin

• June 15, 2010, 02:31:10 pm
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 11:53:03 am »
An interactive clock:
http://www.time-for-time.com/swf/myclox.swf

Another great Genki English song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcKGi_PCjc4

I made a ppt of the words.

Also, here is a bomb game.  It's a bit different than the others usually posted here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:19:16 pm by cathycat »

• JuliusCaesar108
  • Featured Contributor

• March 21, 2010, 08:28:10 pm
    • Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 01:25:59 pm »
In regards to the curriculum for Dialog 1, one of the questions I will ask is, "What's wrong with this picture?" while I freeze the video. The answer is that Thomas, Minsu and Julie are wearing outdoor shoes, which is a big no-no.

I don't really get it, this curriculum is made by Koreans, made for Koreans - how could they make such a mistake?
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar

• 콜린
  • Waygookin

• March 25, 2010, 11:41:56 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 01:31:54 pm »
Hidden picture game.

• wajowens
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2010, 01:08:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 03:24:01 pm »
this is for period 2 - it's telling the time again but with numbers other than "o'clock".

I'm gonna follow it up with haroldglee's battleships thing, which I changed a tiny bit to have more complicated times.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:28:28 pm by wajowens »

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »
Wow, did you guys notice how ridiculously difficult the first CD dialogue for this lesson is? Outrageous.

• pickle
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2010, 01:58:27 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 01:22:48 pm »
In regards to the curriculum for Dialog 1, one of the questions I will ask is, "What's wrong with this picture?" while I freeze the video. The answer is that Thomas, Minsu and Julie are wearing outdoor shoes, which is a big no-no.

I don't really get it, this curriculum is made by Koreans, made for Koreans - how could they make such a mistake?

Actually, some of the classes in my school wear shoes like that as indoor shoes.  They seem safer and warmer than the sandals, so a lot of the younger kids, especially, wear them.