Read 4185 times

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
Lesson 3: A Tale of Tails
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:49:42 pm »
This is a thread for any lesson material for Christina H. Kim (2013 edition) Middle School English 1 Lesson 3: A Tale of Tails. Please share your contributions here. Be sure to explain exactly what you are posting and please do not post multi-level materials in this thread. Also, any review lessons or materials should be posted in the review section for this grade. If you can't find what you're looking for here, be sure to check the previous edition of the book.  Best of luck in your lesson planning!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

Re: Lesson 3: A Tale of Tails
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:17:51 pm »
This is my first lesson for lesson three. I will complete pages 45 and 46 in the textbook to begin the class. The PowerPoint will follow.

Slide 22 - I will describe a person, and the class has to tell me which one they are. This is a good chance to have them use the words: top, bottom, left, right and middle.

Slide 23 - The students have to tell me how many for each item posted.

Slide 24 - Print this slide. This is your worksheet. The students have to find how many of each there are. I will make this a race. The first student or two to finish will get a small piece of candy. You can choose to do this any way you see fit. The answers are listed as well. (you can help them by telling them to use different colors for each picture when searching)
"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!"

• Rachyb86
  • Adventurer

• February 24, 2013, 12:44:30 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:07:37 am »
Hi all,

This is my power point for the lesson, it went quite well yesterday so I wanted to share..God knows you lovely people on this site have saved me enough times! I begin with a 'guess the tail' part to introduce the chapter then expand into human appearances. At the end, the students must listen to my description and draw the person accordingly...feel free to change the celebs on the slide!

I also got the kids to do a crossword about body parts that I found online which I have attached.

To finish - a game of 'Guess Who'

• singjapoe
  • Adventurer

• September 25, 2012, 09:13:14 am
    • Maseok, Namyangju
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:55:22 pm »
Here's my PowerPoint for lesson 3.  This is for high level kids.  Some of my first graders are pretty insane with their English.  One girl lived in New Zealand for a while so she even writes in cursive (my CoT's hate it and I secretly think it's hilarious).  I find it a lot easier to dumb down a lesson than it is to make it more advanced so I make the lessons for my high level classes first. 

At the end we will play sentence pictionary; which is exactly what it sounds like.  I show one student the picture and he/she must write descriptive sentences about it until his/her team can guess what it is. 

For the low level kids I'm thinking about doing monster drawing races.  One person from each team will come to the board for each round.  I will make slides that list how many eyes, arms, legs, teeth, tails, etc it has and the first person to draw it correctly wins a point for their team.

I have absolutely no clue how well any of this is going to work out but my first years are usually pretty enthusiastic. At least, a h**l of a lot more so than my second years.
“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.”

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 11:51:20 am »
Here is my second lesson. This is a lesson taken from the J.L. Haas Middle School board. I used this book last year, and this lesson was really successful. Credit goes to the original creator. Hopefully some of you find it to be as helpful as I have.

For the first worksheet, have the students repeat the word, give a definition, and copy the word on the worksheet.

The second worksheet has the students writing sentences. I write the sentences on the board. Some students need the visual, but most will be able to write it on their own.

After the lesson, there is roughly 10-15 minutes left for a game. I have the students play Backs To the Board. The students have a chance to practice their numbers. This helps with the tricky ones like 16 and 60, 13 and 30, etc... Write several numbers on the board (I use enough for everyone to have one turn). Give each student a different color marker (2-4 teams). Have students stand with their backs to the board. Call out a number. Students turn, try to find the number and circle it. At the end of the game, tally up the scores for the winner.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:53:34 am by evolutionbassist »
"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!"

• singjapoe
  • Adventurer

• September 25, 2012, 09:13:14 am
    • Maseok, Namyangju
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 03:00:27 pm »
Here are the PowerPoints for medium and low level classes that I adapted from the high level one I posted earlier.

I changes the game for the medium and high level kids to simply speaking the sentences instead of writing.  It made the game pick up a little faster and the kids really get into it.  It al worked surprisingly well.

I changed the game for the low level kids as well.  Same pictures, but I give them three clues and whoever guesses the correct answer first gets the point.
“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.”

• kbruck8
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2016, 12:27:28 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:01 am »
Here are my materials for Lesson 3 in two parts (3.1 and 3.2)

Lesson 3.1: Since the lesson is focused on animals, I tried to make it Zootopia-themed (though I had to use some pictures from other movies--Finding Nemo and Kung Fu Panda) since my students loved that movie. First review previous week's material. Present lesson objectives, pass out the animal vocab handout (all Korean translations have been checked by my co-teacher) and go over the words with the students (repeat after me). Next teach the key phrases and do the practice slides, eliciting from students along the way ("Whatcolor is it?" "Is it big or small?" "What are those? {when arrows appear}")
Next, go over describing people. Show key phrases and do practice slides.
Next is the describing worksheet followed by the related dialogue activity.
Finally, a game of hot seat. I switched up the guessing person every 5 rounds.

Lesson 3.2: Review previous week's material. Present PPT material. When going over quantifiers, give the students the quantifier handout (all translations checked by my CT). Thanks to the waygooker I adapted some of my slides from.
Next, do the textbook listening.
Next is a shopping list activity. I was slightly thrown for a loop and this was the best thing I could come up with, lol.
Finally is a Studio Ghibli bomb game (thanks to whoever I got this from for the amazing template). It has material from lessons 3.1 and 3.2.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:27:48 pm »
Here's my take on the Listen & Speak section. I incorporated parts of the materials posted above and adapted them to fit my students' level/needs.