Read 6901 times

• merle
  • Veteran

• May 08, 2008, 08:04:02 am
Wolchulsan National Park
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:05:43 am »
Hi!  I'm a bit new to the board.
I'm living on Jeju right now, and am planning on taking taking the ferry from Jeju-do to Mokpo, and then heading over to Yeongam and Wolchulsan National Park.  However, I've never been to Mokpo/Yeongam/Wolchulsan, so although I've been doing research, so I still have a few questions if anyone is able to answer them :)

1.  Is catching a bus from Mokpo to Yeongam pretty straightforward?  I'll likely arrive in Mokpo on a Saturday morningish.

2.  If anyone's been to Yeongam before, how are the accommodations?  Any place you would recommend?  I would like to  stay at a place that is in a good location for catching a bus to Wolchulsan.

3.  Anything recommended at Wolchulsan itself?  I like hiking, so I will definitely be going through the park, but I see it's not that large and can be traversed in a day.  That means I should be able to take my time, but are there any places you think are a must- or should-see?

4.  Is Wolchulsan National Park pretty busy during the weekends in spring?  I hear the azaleas are beautiful, so I think it might be popular.

I'm actually really looking forward to this trip.  Any info or your impression of the park would be appreciated.  Thanks very much!

Re: Wolchulsan National Park
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:48:30 am »
1.  The bus from Mokpo leaves every 20 minutes to Yeongam.  no problems there :)

2.  I've never stayed there before, but any cab will take you there fore 5$  (yes, a set fee because it's technically outside the city's limits...even though it's only like a 5 minute drive away).  Alternatively, if you cross the street from the bus station; cross the mini-rice-field; and then turn right on the road sheltered by cherry blossom trees, you'll soon come to a place on the left side of the road (you're looking for a children's playground) where you can walk up a much smaller unbeaten path to the top of the moutain.

3. I'd say budget 3 - 4 hours to the top (depending how much you stop), and to be fully tired by the time you get there hahaha.  The short way down (via the waterfall) will only take about 1.5 hours.  I've actually never done much adventuring, but I think I remember someone saying there were hotsprings?  maybe...?

4. If you go up the way the taxis take you (to the bottom there) its going to be PACKED.  and I mean PACKED.  Like a seoul subway at rushour.  This is why I gave directions to the smaller back-trail.  about 3/5 of the way up, that trail will end with a big sign declaring off limitsness and a potential large fine... just ignore it, go around the barbed wire blockage and continue for the best part of the hike :P (very off-roads...not recommended for those with fear of heights)

• merle
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:21:50 am »
Thanks very much Alex!  Much appreciated. 
I am going to be on the lookout for that path you mentioned when I go.  It sounds much better than a subway ride to the top.

• merle
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:51:52 pm »
Reporting back:

1. Catching a bus was pretty straightforward.  I think bus #100 gets you from the Mokpo ferry Terminal to the Bus Terminal, or you could take a taxi for about 3-4000 Won.  It was another 3,500 Won to get to Yeongam.  The bus leaves for Yeongam every 20 minutes, and takes about an hour(ish) to get there.

2.  Don't stay at the Regency Hotel.  It's really close to the Yeongam Bus Terminal, but that's about it.  It's 25,000 Won for a single person, 50,000 Won for a double with two people.  And they don't take pets.  It looks clean from the outside, I will admit. 
We didn't stay there though. 
A little bit farther down the street, past the Regency Hotel, there are a couple of yeogwans/motels.  The one I can recommend is Motel Samhojang (삼호장).  One of the proprietors there speaks English.  The four of us (and a small dog) stayed there for only 40,000 Won total, which was much cheaper than the other places.  We had a Korean-style ondol room.  The place was nothing specail, but it was nice and clean and economical.   The number for 삼호장 is (061)471-0067~9 if you're interested.
There was another motel close-by that we checked out, but it looked rather scuzzy.  So make sure you head to 삼호장 and not that other place!

3.  Alex, you're definitely right about being tired climbing up Wolchusan.  It's not an especially tall mountain, but you just keep going up and down and up and down on your way to the peak.  So you actually end up climbing much more than you'd think!  But the little dog our friend brought made it to the peak and down with minimal carrying, so it wasn't too bad.  Not sure if you're allowed to bring dogs into the peak, but nobody stopped us, and I think he was a hit with the other hikers.
I didn't get a chance to check out the hotsprings (although I did see signs).
We did head to the five-day market and picked up a rather tasty watermelon.  The market's not all that huge, but nice nonetheless.  The Yeongam market occurs on the 5th and 10th (and 15th, 20th, 25th, and so on).

4.  I saw the path Alex mentioned (I think).  There were two.  One was labeled with a sign, and another one was a narrow unbeaten path wandering up into the hills.  I really liked the latter path, but my friends wanted to go on one with some assurance that we'd make it to the peak, so we went the more popular route.  There were a fair amount of people, but it wasn't too crowded.

All in all was had a great time. 

Special note for anyone going to take a ferry to or from Jeju:
It can get pretty rough, especially with 80 km/h gusts.  If you get seasick easily, just be warned. 

• dsob
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2011, 06:25:17 pm
    • Pusan
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:42:25 am »
Bumping up a very old post.

Thinking about going to Wolchulsan Park this weekend. Has anyone been from Busan and knows how to do it?

Also, any advice about the park?
www.djsandkp.blogspot.com

Supplements at www.iHerb.com - $5 off referral coupon - OZI611