Read 28581 times

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
Japan nuclear - How safe are we?
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:47:42 am »
So... I know we're safe from the tsunami's etc.  but how safe are we in the case of the nuclear meltdown?  Please don't mock my question - I know Japan is "pretty far" from us, but let's face it - it's not THAT far, and nuclear is not something you play around with.  It seems like a lot of people back home are concerned with our safety should they have a meltdown.  I'd really just like to be informed of what the possibilities are.

• DMZ
  • Super Waygook

• December 16, 2010, 08:34:43 pm
    • Incheon
Re: Japan nuclear - How safe are we?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:23 am »
In the unlikely event that enough radiation should leak out of the reactors to be able to travel that far and have an effect on us, we are very lucky that this season's winds are North Westerly (ie: blowing South Easterly), meaning that any radiation would blow out into the Pacific, in the opposite direction of Korea. Thankfully!

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:55 am »
We are safe. Generally, if Japan did have a meltdown, they have so many things in place to keep it from spreading far. My friend worked in the Japanese nuclear sector for several years. He told me that there is no problem for people outside Japan. Radiation can't go that far without being dispursed. Well, it can, sure, but the amount that it would take to hurt someone here, well, would be enough to wipe out all of Japan.

If you are seriously interested, there are several books I can recommend, however, they are kinda thick and deal a lot with nuclear engineering.

But in a simple and sweet answer, you have nothing to worry about. If anything, if you have a little bit of spare cash, I recommend donating to the Japanese Red Cross or something, even 10,000won goes a long way in making sure that they can be safe.

;)

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:55:26 am »
We are totally safe. This is not another Chernobyl it's more like Three Mile island. Pretty sure the winds are from west to east.

• C3PO
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2010, 08:32:11 pm
    • south korea

• uearob
  • Adventurer

• November 23, 2010, 10:40:40 am
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:08:17 am »
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office issued a travel advisory today just to be aware basically. It made a change from the normal ones about NK.

As previous posts have said the prevailing wind will keep us safe (but will continue to bring the dust over from China)

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:51:24 am »
;)  thanks all!

If you are seriously interested, there are several books I can recommend, however, they are kinda thick and deal a lot with nuclear engineering.
 ;)

Thanks, but I prefer the short and sweet waygook answers ;) haha!

• jeromeyc
  • Waygookin

• July 11, 2010, 03:56:39 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:49 am »
I heard news from a co-worker that the effects it may have on us in Korea is the fish and the general food-chain may be affected.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:14:08 am »
In the unlikely event that enough radiation should leak out of the reactors to be able to travel that far and have an effect on us, we are very lucky that this season's winds are North Westerly (ie: blowing South Easterly), meaning that any radiation would blow out into the Pacific, in the opposite direction of Korea. Thankfully!

yup it is in fact blowing the other way- so for now we're OK.  I think there will be some ramifications though- food wise/fish wise.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out!

• EPSK
  • Veteran

• September 07, 2010, 07:52:55 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 11:15:12 am »
If the fuel rods do begin to melt, the fallout would absolutely reach Korea. I do believe scientists right now are confident that current radiation levels (though higher than usual) are not harmful. I hope it stays this way.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18:35 am »
OK, so at your request I won't mock the question...but can I mock the fact that you are asking a bunch of English teachers a question about nuclear disasters and radiation?
 ::)

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:24:24 am »
OK, so at your request I won't mock the question...but can I mock the fact that you are asking a bunch of English teachers a question about nuclear disasters and radiation?

Not all English teachers got their degree in English. I sure as heck don't as I can't spell worth beans.

• matieu
  • Veteran

• November 01, 2010, 01:21:24 pm
    • Geoje Do
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 11:55:33 am »
As far as I know the answer to your questions depends on whether there is a 'meltdown' or a full scale explosion of the whole facility. A meltdown would just mean radiation going into the earth around the site and would have potentially devastating consequences for the local eco system and water supllies but wouldn't spread outside a relatively local vicinity. In the unlikely event of the whole facility exploding then the radio active particles would release into the air and in theory could spread hundreds/ or even over a thousand miles. However as people have already stated the prevailing wind at the moment is blowing east, also standards have improved much since the likes of Chernobyl so the chances of this scenario are highly unlikely. In short I wouldn't worry yourself too much, to put it into perspective I'd say the chances of being injured by a crazy Korean driver are far higher!

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »
another explosion this morning.  this time at plant #2.  seems worse than the first two. 
ugh. 

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 12:01:06 pm »

Seems to me some people, like Gilbert.a.h. knows more about the stuff than I do... so probably wasn't a too crappy place to ask a question...?  :)   

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »
According to the Korean news, we're safe. According to the Hong Kong news, it might effect them even with the distance. I don't know if that's from the direction the wind blows or to sell papers or whatever other reasons though.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

• Briguyman
  • Veteran

• September 09, 2010, 07:56:54 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 12:03:17 pm »
I wouldn't worry yourself too much, to put it into perspective I'd say the chances of being injured by a crazy Korean driver are far higher!

That really does put it into perspective. Also, you are awesome. That is all.

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 12:03:50 pm »
Haha, I love this. Japan has its largest disaster since World War 2. It lies decimated in the wake of a truly horrendous earthquake and tsunami and our reaction is...how does all this affect me personally? Forget the Japanese I want to know about me! Haha, humans.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 12:10:24 pm »
lol.  eros!  of course we are thinking of the japanese people!  this is a terrible tragedy....
the question was just one simple aspect and one that maybe affects us.  it's a logical question since we are the closest country to japan and their nuclear reactors are exploding.
asking this question doesn't for a minute mean we aren't thinking about and praying for the japanese people....

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »
Radioactive fallout becomes diluted by vapor in the air and also by distance. A third factor which helps is the half life of fissile material. It has a set half life and after a certain time poses little or no danger to human life. I would be prepared for a worst case scenario nonetheless.