Read 14399 times

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
(YBM Si-Sa) Grade 4 - Review Sheets
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »
Sorry for not sticking these in the individual threads, but I figure this is the type of thing where if you choose to use them once, you'll probably want to come and get the whole set later, so one thread seems more logical. I'll continue to upload them here as I produce them.

Details:
* All are PDF format for the sake of font embedding and size.
* Top half of the page is a review sheet.
* Bottom half of the page is writing practice related to the most prominant target expression (TE) for the unit.
* Sufficient white space exists for students to annotate margins in hanguel if they wish (impose a rule that they must do this themselves and not copy though if they choose this route, as that'll require them to listen and think and hopefully in doing so, revise).
* Sheets follow the textbook roughly.
* Chapter title and target vocab (TV) have translated meanings.
* Cute characters.

Changes between the textbook syllabus TE and TV and review sheets are made under the following circumstances:
* Its plain incorrect.
* What is clearly TV in the book and videos is not listed in the syllabus guide (I'd expect this is 1-2 words tops).
* Phonics words are dialect specific (irrespective of what dialect that is).
* Phonics words are irrelevant or incorrect (for example, muddling stressed unstressed vowels with short vowels, or consonant blends with hard consonants, especially pertinent in Korea with aspirated blends like "wh" in "whale" <> "w" in "wind")
* When phonics words are changed, precedence is given to equivalents that work well with the pics in the book (ie: for b, brother -> big, as in "my big brother").

Initially, only 4th grade ones are up for YBM Si-Sa (Monty). This is a result of my oddball schedule at the school using these books. However, if anyone wants to send me a translated copy of the 3rd grade book syllabus with native verified translations AND textbook phonics keyword lists, I can whip up 3rd grade sets too. With such basic expressions they should be dead easy to make up. I may add 5th and 6th national ones as well, but these tend to be less generalised as there's a bit more freedom to add modern vocab to the TV lists and it could be discouraging for students to see words they didn't study in class. Same for 3rd and 4th from the Buzz and Bibi books. No guarantees (man I hate those books) but I can try and this'll be where you'll find them.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:30:48 pm by taeyang »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
Re: Review Sheets (YBM Si-Sa Grade 4)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:57:37 pm »
YBM Si-Sa (Monty) Textbook Grade 4

Units 1-4
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:07:32 pm by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:12 pm »
Units 5-8
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:27:06 am by Paul »

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
Placeholder
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »
Units 9-12
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:16:13 pm by Paul »

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
Review Sheets (Buzz/Bibi Grade 4)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »
Mirae-En (Buzz/Bibi) Textbook Grade 4
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:58:12 pm by Paul »

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
Plceholder
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:02:00 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:51:05 pm by Paul »

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
Placeholder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:02:16 pm »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:51:19 pm by Paul »

• Ben-Ja-Meen
  • Veteran

• December 02, 2010, 12:30:36 pm
    • Seoul (Dongdaemun Area)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:26:04 pm »
This is great!  Thanks!  :)

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:40:01 pm »
this great ____thanks for sharing :)

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
Re: Review Sheets (YBM Si-Sa Grade 4, Buzz/Bibi Grade 4)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:52:12 pm »
Ok, more up, and a second textbook added. The Buzz/Bibi ones are a bit of a mess with the phonics section so I might just omit that off the review sheet entirely in future.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 02:04:58 pm »
Thank you for sharing the Buzz/Bibi sheets! 

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:23 pm »
thanks Paul :)

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 11:46:19 am »
Two more Buzz/Bibis. I'll try and drop out a couple more YBMs this afternoon

• jmtomkin
  • Newgookin

• March 18, 2011, 12:52:10 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:10:51 am »
Incredible! Thanks for sharing. Excellent worksheets!

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 03:30:09 pm »
I've provisionally added up a landscape template for anyone who'd like to adapt these. I'll continue to update them as I progress through the book, but just in case, a doc is attached below. Yes, I did have fun making it. And yes, the phonics box is a grouped object that enjoys un-grouping itself (and long walks on the beach) because it hates me.

As an added note, I'll likely be rearranging the files/posts a bit, so please excuse the mess at present.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:40:33 pm by Paul »

• yister
  • Explorer

• October 05, 2010, 08:07:51 am
    • south korea
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 08:20:35 am »
Thank you so much Paul :)

Worksheets and template much appreciated - my co-teacher loves them  ;D

• JJ72
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2010, 01:01:41 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 10:33:07 am »
 made a pass the ball review for this book.
First i made them do it normally and then i did it a second time and made whoever answered the question stand up. The kids standing up at the end of the game were the winners.
On slide 7 i had put a picture of myself in and asked them "who is she" so that slide is blank.

• JJ72
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2010, 01:01:41 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 10:14:31 am »
Bingo review game.
Had the kids fill out the grid with the words in the ppt then printed off the words, cut them up and put them in a bag that the kids could pick out of. Goes over the main vocab from lessons 1-8

• ylim92
  • Explorer

• August 31, 2011, 10:04:26 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 08:23:00 am »
Is it right for after school teachers to use the curriculum book as a basis for their lessons? My school doesn't have a textbook for me yet, and I'm finding it really hard to build a foundation as to what I need to be teaching my students. I'm using the Daehan textbook :( Can anyone please help me?

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 11:44:42 am »
More up for units 9 and 10 on the YBM Monty text and a bit of reshuffling to tidy up the download posts. Chapter 10's page was rather tricky to format in a (hopefully) clear, tidy manner given the sheer number of variables in the target expressions, so my apologies go out to any feminists amongst you for defaulting to male pronouns (chosen over female to match the chapter title). If you have any suggestions for improvement there, please give me a shout.

Further apologies for being behind on the Buzz/Bibis. Thing is, the co-teacher at that school doesn't want the students having notes or worksheets, sigh. I'll try and go back and fill in the gaps at least for completeness sake. Have a nice day (off) everyone!

Ylim:

You probably want to go ask that in the Daehan text's thread. There'll be links in the sticky threads on the elementary board. My personal suggestion would be to discuss with your colleagues what they intend to teach.

In my personal opinion, having the afterschool classes roughly follow the textbook topic list is great as it gives the attendees extra revision. But, if it means the afterschool class students are then bored and thus disruptive in your regular classes, that ain't cool. Try and work with the after school teacher to ensure they use different activities to you (textbook or otherwise, and if Daehan is anything like YBM or Mirae-EN, the textbook activities will largely be rubbish anyway so no great loss). If they're at a loss for production activity ideas, give your colleague some blank templates for worksheets or PPT games or links to websites that'll generate them. If the classes are for struggling students, chances are they are just revising stuff to give the students a second chance. If the classes are for advanced students, discuss ways in which the target language could be expanded upon.

If the way I'm reading between the lines in your comment is correct though, and you basically have some students (who only attend your classes) that never follow the national curriculum, then that'd be of serious concern and something to kick up a (polite) fuss about if you feel that's the only solution. At the very least, if you still don't have a book, go to the elementary board, find the textbook list, find the list of Waygook.org members using the Daehan text, message them all in bulk and beg for a scan of the 12-16 syllabus pages in the Teacher's Guide so you know what your students are expected to learn. The pages look kind of like a grid with a lot of simple (Google translatable) Korean dot pointed general teaching goals and a few squares with specific target expressions and vocabulary goals noted in English.

The tests/exams are set by the city, not the school and are based on that curriculum. Every public school student deserves a chance to pass them. And to learn of course, but this is Korea so that is secondary. :p

If you wish to discuss this further, then you or I can PM a mod so these posts can be split off into a new topic. That may garner a few more responses from other members.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:15:38 pm by Paul »