Read 4822 times

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
Lesson 1: Let's Play Manito!
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:49:25 pm »
This is a thread for any lesson material for Christina H. Kim (2013 edition) Middle School English 2 Lesson 1: Let's Play Manito! Please share your contributions here. Be sure to explain exactly what you are posting and please do not post multi-level materials in this thread. Also, any review lessons or materials should be posted in the review section for this grade. If you can't find what you're looking for here, be sure to check the previous edition of the book.  Best of luck in your lesson planning!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:57:20 pm by sheila »
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

Re: Lesson 1: Let's Play Manito!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:55:05 am »
Grade 2 Lesson 1- Listening & Speaking.

Note: Some of the games are incomplete

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 10:00:29 am »
Pretty text book heavy for the most part, though I did add a few things.... Also, the game at the end was taken from another grade/lesson I got off Waygook.  I just added it in case I ran out of material with time left (which is unlikely, given the disruptive nature of my students.... but better to be safe than sorry  ;D ).

• Rachyb86
  • Adventurer

• February 24, 2013, 12:44:30 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:34:09 pm »
I adapted this handout from another waygookin, (big thanks to them!) it worked really well in my last class and the students were actually actively communicating, which is a feat in itself at my school! They have to go around the room and interview 5 of their classmates using 'how often do you' and fill in the gaps with the adverbs of frequency.

Hope it helps someone anyway.

I also made a small handout with translated verbs of frequency - thanks to another wonderful person on this site...it really healped the lower levels.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:00:13 am by Rachyb86 »

• Gordana
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• April 13, 2010, 10:42:48 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:50:23 am »
I adapted this game (thankyou muchly to the original creator!)
The kid's really enjoyed it.  It can be played as one long game, or three shorter ones.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 07:46:31 pm »
Thanks Gordana, this was a major success. I preferred to play one short game rather than three, because it has potential to get monotonous, but it was excellent. The kids got really wild and it seemed everyone was enthusiastic to speak, even the kids that don't talk much. Rad!

• Gordana
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• April 13, 2010, 10:42:48 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:30:26 am »
Banana Game (BIG thanks to the original creator of it).

Banana Boogie!
I've 'funked' it up a little with some fun music  and have added lesson/level appropriate sentences for my students to read.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 07:46:38 pm »
Hey Gordana, thanks for the Mario game. One question, is there a way to keep the previous clicked mushroom in a different subject "gone."

Example, student picks"sport" --> My favorite sport is soccer. I play it once a week.
Then maybe the next student chooses different topic, food. And 3rd student wants to pick sport, but then the previous mushroom from the first student has re-appeared. I would like to keep the previous chosen mushrooms to stay "gone" as I move from topics. Is that possible? Do you understand my question? lol

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:32:53 am »
Here's a Dictation worksheet for the Listen Up part.

And I played a group BINGO game. My classes are divided into 5 groups so for this game I had all the members of one group have the same BINGO boards. To start, one pair from Group 1 will speak the dialogue and choose from the list what to fill in the blanks. Then continue with group 2 and so forth until a group gets BINGO. If a group gets BINGO, I told them the whole group had to shout BINGO.

There's two rounds to practice the different expressions in the textbook. Keep in mind round 2 will have two different answers. I played 2-line BINGO so that the game lasts a bit longer, but it's up to you how you wanna play.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:11:16 pm »
Here's my take on the Listen & Speak section. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... I used a lot of the materials posted above and adapted them to fit my students' level/needs.

• ngc09
  • Waygookin

• May 04, 2014, 05:35:09 am
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:35:18 am »
I broke this unit into two sections for my 2nd graders.

The only thing that is from the actual book are the key expressions. I don't use the speaking or listening parts in my book primarily because my coteacher pushes me away from being too textbook focused (she says the students groan anytime they see the books). So this is my version of the lesson. I try to incorporate speaking and listening in my own fun way. I have included the lesson plan for each of the sections so you could understand where I was going with each class. This year I'm giving out lots of supplemental material to help students study and to expand their vocabulary bank.

Lesson 1 (part 1)
- Welcome, my introduction
- Warm up [Compound Challenge Game]
- Classroom Rules
-"Long time, no see" - new phrase learned today
-"How are you doing" - reviewed phrase
    - As we are reviewing this phrase and possible responses, we will simultaneously be reviewing emotions and learning several new emotions (for the higher level students). I passed out my "More Emotions" handout for them to study and fill in the blanks along with the ppt.
- Emotion crossword
   - I had students work in pairs to do this word search puzzle and finish circling the correct emotion for each sentence. If they didn't finish in class, they should finish for homework. We will review the correct answers next class period.

Lesson 1 (part 2)
- Homework review
- Last class review - "Long time, no see"
- "How have you been" - new phrase presentation
-"How often do you..." - new phrase presentation
   - also learned time frequency adjectives (once, twice, everyday, never, etc.)
- Individual Practice (complete your schedule)
- Partner Practice/ English Talk Time (interview your partner and fill in blanks accordingly)