Read 13038 times

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
Lesson 3: Hobbies for Everyone
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:30:03 am »
This is a thread for any lesson material for Choi Jin H. Middle School English 3 Lesson 3: Hobbies for Everyone.  Please share your contributions here~!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• TriKorea
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:17:19 am
    • Anseong City
Re: Lesson 3: Hobbies for Everyone
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:57:42 am »
Part 1 - I'm really into music.
Class starter - dingbats (I don't remember who I got this from, but I didn't make it, credit is due elsewhere)
Listen and talk presentation
www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

• kahikigirl
  • Adventurer

• September 30, 2010, 10:20:53 am
    • Jeju-do
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:57:56 pm »
I got this from someone else and tweaked it a little bit to include more of the textbook.

• Candyfloss
  • Adventurer

• October 25, 2010, 10:20:22 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »
Get the students to fill the worksheet as you go through your ppt =)

• bdan82
  • Waygookin

• November 11, 2010, 10:22:24 am
    • Uiwang-si
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:54:35 am »
Thank you so much for turning this thread into an index.  So helpful.

I split each chapter up into two weeks, one focusing on the language in Listen and Talk 1 and the other on that in Listen and Talk 2.  (I only use this book for Grade 3s). 

My cotaeachers prefer I do the book activities and then add something else of my own.  For Lesson 3-1, I did the Listen and Talk 1 and then used this bomb game, which I adapted from another poster's hobbies lesson on waygook.org.  It has been one of the most successful lessons I've done all semester.  Just make sure before you start the game to review the phrases from the book activity "I enjoy / I want to try / I'm into" and make sure to point out that you can add a VERB-ING construction OR, in the case of "i'm into" especially, a NOUN--"I'm into books, I'm into music."  I found it effective to have a clear explanation of this on the whiteboard to point back to as students made mistakes so they would correct themselves.

But if anyone has any ideas about cool activities for Listen and Talk 2--the first conditionals ("If I have time, I'm planning to..." / "If the weather is nice, I will...")--let me know!

• bdan82
  • Waygookin

• November 11, 2010, 10:22:24 am
    • Uiwang-si
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:59:15 am »
PS If anyone uses that ppt bomb game, you'll want to change slide 31 (Where is Brendan from?), and maybe a few others.  I threw some review questions in--Answer "How are you?" without saying "fine" or "so-so," make an indirect question, etc.  For harder pictures like "I enjoy kayaking," I would tell them the base verb "kayak" and have them plug it in the formula and that worked well enough.

• TriKorea
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:17:19 am
    • Anseong City
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:41:53 am »
Listen and Talk 2 If I have Time

Here is the PPT I used for the lesson. We used Dingbats before the lesson and for a game we did Word Wars!
www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:30:18 pm »

For a game for this unit I used the excellent Pirates of the Caribbean themed ppt from this site (props to the creator). To pick a square students have to complete the two target sentences using hobbies / activities starting with the corresponding letter. For higher level students, repeating the same hobby is not allowed (I relaxed this rule for lower level students). To make sure students understand the difference between "I'm really into" / "I want to try" students cannot "want to try" a mundane hobby like reading books or watching TV. The words in the 'Fight' section are taken from the Read and Do part of the textbook.

• Candyfloss
  • Adventurer

• October 25, 2010, 10:20:22 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:23:30 am »
After going through the ppt, I gave students the blank calender page and asked them to fill in random activities.  Thereafter I chose one student to come to the front chose an appointment card that I prepared and he had to select a group that he wanted to make and appointment with.  The group had to them give a response such as: If I have time... (Textbook)

• lizard
  • Adventurer

• February 28, 2011, 11:04:23 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:10:37 am »
Attached is my powerpoint, lesson plan, and bingo game for "hobbies." The warmup in the lesson plan is 4 corners, you choose one corner for each option and have the students move to their choice. The idea is to get them up out of their seats and energized for class. Warmup, then some activities from the book, then they create their own dialogue-practicing w/ a partner, then bingo game.

• ochattoki
  • Waygookin

• October 22, 2010, 12:07:53 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 10:57:33 am »
Here is a worksheet I used to have my students answer questions regarding Club Flyers at schools, work places, etc. I had them look at the example flyers that I give to them. (they are attached below) and then afterwards have them work in groups to design a club flyer and then present it to the class. It's alot of fun, and the kids come up with some really interesting club ideas.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 08:08:56 am »
A lot of material came from other posters; I may have changed some things to suit my students.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »
Thank you for the lesson and activities!

Here is my edited version. I also have a worksheet.

Thanks again!

• salabbe
  • Adventurer

• May 27, 2010, 07:27:05 am
    • Hoengseong, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »
I did two truths and a lie in two different ways. I recommend the second.

1) Have every student fill out a worksheet. Next, they discuss (quietly) whose paper they will use. One person reads it to the class and the the other teams vote with mini white boards (laminated paper). One point is awarded for guessing who wrote it and another for guessing the lie. If no groups vote for the name or the lie a point is awarded for each. I like to give bonus points if they get or avoid both name and lie.

2) Each group completes one worksheet. They then elect a reader who comes to the front of the class and reads their sentences. In this version, the other groups only have to vote for the lie.

I found in the second version the students had more of a chance to perfect their sentences and every group got a chance to participate in the reading.

Enjoy.

Thanks to all those who have contributed to this.

PS. I have attached some notes on scoring that I did not stick to although it also contains some key Korean vocab if you get stuck. Just in time for the election. 

• salabbe
  • Adventurer

• May 27, 2010, 07:27:05 am
    • Hoengseong, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »
Lesson 2 - RPS Race

A classic activity adapted for a large class. Instead of one game where there are more students sitting around doing nothing I have two games going on on each side of the room. With 6 teams, 4 teams are playing against each other, while two are holding the flashcards and policing the players.

Example:
               FRONT OF THE CLASSROOM
GAME 1 ' I enjoy...                    GAME 2 - I'm really into...
Team 1 xxxxxx                       Team 4 xxxxxx
x                                            x
x   Team 3                              x   Team 5
Team 2 xxxxxx                        Team 6 xxxxx
                 BACK OF THE CLASSROOM

Team 3 and 5 are holding the flashcards. In game 1, the first player from team 1 and team 2 work their way down the line saying the target sentence with each piece of vocabulary. The police can say stop and make them say it again if they made a grammar or pronunciation mistake. When the two players from the two opposing teams meet they do rock paper scissors. The loser goes to the back of their teams line while the winner continues. Trying to finish the vocab before the next player stands in their way.

Meanwhile, in game 2 the same thing is happening with the second vocab set highlighting the use of 'play' as pertaining to activities that involve a TEAM, a BALL, a GAME, or an INSTRUMENT. I rotate the teams after 5 minutes or so and finish with a third round where I exchange all of the cards for the final vocab set (make sure you have two copies of the final set for both sides of the room).

I recommend sticking the answers on the back of the flashcards and then laminating them (for use in more than one lesson).

Demonstration and moving the teams around one at a time is key here. 

The final activity I assigned as homework in the last 5 minutes. We have a Green Mile reward system in my school where I can give points and and demerits so it tends to motivate them although you could cut the game short and have them do writing instead.

Enjoy.

Thanks to all those who have contributed to this.

• mowchy
  • Adventurer

• September 08, 2010, 09:47:14 am
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 08:20:25 am »
If/Then Bingo!
I read the phrases as full sentences so they really have to pay attention...I also threw some random  words in from the chapter to make it a little easier. I have higher-level 3rd graders, so this one works well. I think there are 20 different boards here,  used this link if you need any more:
 http://print-bingo.com/bingo-cards-custom.php
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:17:34 am by mowchy »
iherb.com $5 off coupon code:  MOW032

• francois
  • Adventurer

• May 02, 2011, 12:50:49 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 02:31:44 pm »
Unit 3 - Talk 1 and 2. I got slides from different waygook lessons and combined them into this.