Read 8770 times

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
Lesson 9: Art Around Us
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:27:35 pm »
This is a thread for any lesson material for Choi Jin H. Middle School English 2 Lesson 9: Art Around Us.  Please share your contributions here~!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• mjmartens
  • Waygookin

• November 02, 2010, 06:07:50 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Lesson 9: Art Around Us
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:31:17 am »
For the 'Help!' portion of this lesson I printed out large cards with problems and responses. The responses were randomly on the board and the students had to choose the correct response for each request for help. After we matched them all they played the board game. One student in the group rolls the dice and moves to a space. All of the other students say the sentence in the box, followed by 'Can you help me?' and the student who rolled the dice must respond with the correct response.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:32:21 pm by mjmartens »

• mjmartens
  • Waygookin

• November 02, 2010, 06:07:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:35:26 am »
Also... here are some ppts to review the vocabulary and grammar for this unit.

One practices when to end an adjective with -ed and -ing.
The other one practices the form 'something + adjective' instead of the usual 'adjective + noun' form.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:32:47 pm by mjmartens »

• annekat
  • Veteran

• April 26, 2011, 07:56:08 am
    • Osan, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:53:11 am »
Unit 9
Listen and Talk 1: You Know What?

Here is an intro ppt. It covers different kinds of art: painting/photo/sculpture/media art and looks at a few examples of the function sentence.

There is also a sentence making game/activity. Each table will get 1 photo and several words. They must look at the photo and make 2 sentences talking about the photo.
I figure I'll have my students race to try to finish their sentence correctly before the other teams.
Example sentences:  (with a photo of a car/desk)
A: Look!    That    desk    looks    like    a    car.
B:   Wow,    itís    so    cool.
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

• jaybird
  • Veteran

• April 06, 2011, 10:54:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 08:31:23 am »
Thanks Annekat. I was having a difficult time trying to figure how to approach the topic.

• annekat
  • Veteran

• Osan, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:57:48 am »
Thanks Annekat. I was having a difficult time trying to figure how to approach the topic.

Me too! It was a bit confusing as the function we are supposed to teach is is only a small part of the dialogue in the C section.
Hope the lesson works for you!

• annekat
  • Veteran

• Osan, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 01:43:28 pm »
Listen and Talk 2: Help!

Here is a ppt to introduce the idea of asking for help, there is a link to a video I made in the ppt but here is the link if you want to use just the video:
http://goanimate.com/movie/0O729hqOEpio/1

The game is in the "are you smarter than a 5th grader" style.
I'm going to give each group a mini whiteboard/marker and they must choose their answer for each question. For the "harder" questions I left out some words, so they have to write in the words as well as choose A/B/C.
I plan on awarding points to each team who got it right, giving points in the order of the money on the side.
For the million$ question they can answer anyway they choose as long as it makes sense. The answer is just a possibility.

• j_kuan
  • Adventurer

• July 19, 2011, 11:38:57 am
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 08:35:21 pm »
I had so much trouble approaching this topic as well..thanks for all the information! It's really helpful :)

• locks
  • Adventurer

• November 03, 2010, 11:42:46 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 09:58:37 am »
Thanks for all the hard work by everyone.
I was also having trouble with this topic.
I will also play "Help" by the beatles(with English sub titles) for motivation.
I will ask students to guess what we will study.

• TriKorea
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:17:19 am
    • Anseong City
Re: Lesson 9: Art Around Us (grammar question)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:41:57 am »
Ok Grammar Question!!

In the one worksheet Annakat made she used the sentence: " Look! It looks like the water is coming out. "

My co-t and I argued it back and fourth and my co-t swear's it wrong and the word "is" shouldn't be there. Can someone please explain to me why it's wrong or why it's right?!

THANK YOU!
www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

• annekat
  • Veteran

• Osan, Gyeonggi-do
Re: Lesson 9: Art Around Us (grammar question)
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:43:31 am »
Ok Grammar Question!!

In the one worksheet Annakat made she used the sentence: " Look! It looks like the water is coming out. "

My co-t and I argued it back and fourth and my co-t swear's it wrong and the word "is" shouldn't be there. Can someone please explain to me why it's wrong or why it's right?!

THANK YOU!

Interesting problem... I don't think "It looks like the water coming out." sounds correct at all....

I think the word "the" could be taken out to make it: "It looks like water is coming out."

I'm not a grammar expert, far from it in fact. But I'm 99% sure "is" should be in the sentence.
If you break the sentence down (take out "it looks like") so you have simply:

"The water is coming out."

You definitely need the word "is" because it is part of the verb. You could also phrase it as "The water comes out." but you can't say "The water coming out."

It's the "be + verb+ing" form. Which I forget the proper term for...
Other examples include: "I am playing a computer game." or "She is watching a movie."

I hope that helps.

• TriKorea
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:17:19 am
    • Anseong City
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:28:07 am »
Thanks! AnneKat!

I will try and explain that to my C-T. I think if I tell her if you were to delete a word that "the" would be appropriate for it to still make a sentence.

www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

• Candyfloss
  • Adventurer

• October 25, 2010, 10:20:22 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 11:29:38 am »
I found these resources on this site.  I just edited the ppt and added a few more pictures.  My kids are a bit lazy at this time of the year so my lessons tend to be a bit low key...You can adapt the lesson according to your students needs^^

Happy teaching :)

• elecaque
  • Adventurer

• March 06, 2012, 07:46:53 am
    • Gunsan
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:50 am »
Here is a bomb game focusing on famous works of art using the Kung Fu Panda template. My second graders will pretty much only participate/stay in the realm of tolerable behavior if we're playing a game, hence why I always use bomb games. The subject matter for this chapter was more than a bit dry for them (and I've only used this with two of my A classes so far), but this template had them screaming and cheering the whole time. As usual I tossed out bonus points if they knew the artist's name or where something was.

• elecaque
  • Adventurer

• Gunsan
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:33 am »
Also as a disclaimer: I was a Classics major, so I know that the building in Athens is the Parthenon, but I put Acropolis because that's what most of my students seemed to know it as and I wasn't about to call them out on it when they were speaking in English.

• elecaque
  • Adventurer

• Gunsan
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 10:07:35 am »
Avengers themed powerpoint game to go along with "Can you help me?" and "Why do you like it?" sections in the chapter. It will NOT take up the entire lesson so be sure to do some intro work.

OH.
I put a gif of simba from the lion king on there and didn't notice until I was doing my FIFTH out of six classes with this powerpoint that it's from "fuckyeahlionking.tu mblr.com" and there's a light watermark that says "fuckyeahlionking" in the corner. I was completely horrified, although my students didn't notice. Soooo... you will probably want to change that slide.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:36:50 am by elecaque »

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:50 am »
Thanks for that amazing Kung Fu Panda game, elecaque!  I switched out a couple of questions (all boys' school, so the Danish mermaid would have set them off on a 10-min conversation about naked women), but played the rest as-is with my advanced students.  They loved it!

I had a bit of difficulty with some of the slides at first, but figured out that you need to click on the doors to get from the dumpling/noodles screens back to the letters.

Also, you'll be happy to know that they correctly answered Parthenon.   :)

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 02:52:09 pm »
Wow~Amazing...
Thank you everyone~~
Thanks a lot everybody~~

• jeffziegler
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2012, 09:54:58 am
    • Osan-si, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 08:56:47 am »
Here are three worksheets I used for this lesson. 9-3 is a drawing activity because I couldn't do a lesson about art without actually doing some art.

• jeffziegler
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2012, 09:54:58 am
    • Osan-si, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 01:07:28 pm »
A writing exercise asking kids what their favorite kind of art is.